Pet Peeves

20 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Billingsley99:  "Excuse me, how do we get to the interstate?"

Directions:  "Well, first you sail left to the West Indies . . ."

Speaking of getting to the interstate. Stopped at a gas station to get directions to the interstate. First guy gave me a whole list of directions, the second guy said “man don’t be jiving him” and gave me new directions going the opposite direction. I thanked them both, and followed the second directions as I thought that guy worked there. We made it without any problems but I was thankful for my decision, as I would not have wanted to end up lost in the wrong part of Philadelphia!!

On 7/28/2022 at 1:13 PM, Billingsley99 said:

Worst part is you can't even pump your own gas. I swear i thought we were getting car jacked the firstt time we got gas in Jersey

They wouldn't let me even get out of the car. 

And my last time in Florida nowhere had the tabs to lock the handle on so I had to stand there and hold it. Probably to keep florida man's hands busy so they don't smoke. 

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2022 at 1:13 PM, Billingsley99 said:

Worst part is you can't even pump your own gas. I swear i thought we were getting car jacked the firstt time we got gas in Jersey

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

They wouldn't let me even get out of the car. 

And my last time in Florida nowhere had the tabs to lock the handle on so I had to stand there and hold it. Probably to keep florida man's hands busy so they don't smoke. 

We have to drive through Jersey to get to our place in MD. I will NEVER leave Brooklyn w/o enough gas to get all the way through Jersey. Am not letting someone else pump my gas. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We have to drive through Jersey to get to our place in MD. I will NEVER leave Brooklyn w/o enough gas to get all the way through Jersey. Am not letting someone else pump my gas. 

Trust me, I totally get it, but this seems a really odd stance from what I understand from your past posting. I suspect, this came about as a way to force a certain sector of the population to have a secured employment opportunity. As I say this, please keep in mind I TOTALLY get what you (and others) are saying. 

My very first time driving through, needed gas, some dud(e) pulled the nozzle from my hand and demanded that I gave him my credit card for the pump. This short fat country boy was game on! I envisioned Giraldo Rivera doing an "is this the tomb of Joe_Hoosier" show 40 yrs from now (Giraldo would be 110 by then BTW). Anyway, I let him pump it. All went well and my card wasn't pimped. 

Then I've spent the last several years thinking about this "stupid" law. It used to be that you felt insulted to have to pump your own (not talking about being a married man) gas. While he was pumping the gas I could go in and get my banana smoothy and marlborough reds. I get out and I am ready to go, and the windshield has been cleaned. 

Like other things, it was scary as heck..... the first time. Now I kinda like it that I understand what I get from it.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just got back from Jersey Beach vacation, want to know another law they now have? At restaurants you have to ask for straws if you want them. 

It is against the law for servers to just give you straws. 

This belongs under the "shake my head at the world" or whatever that thread is....  hahahahahaha    wow

• Haha 1

I'm leaving to go to the Bama house for a few weeks tomorrow. The wife just bought big bucket of KFC. I ate all of the skin off all of the pieces in the bucket. This will be a pet peeve of hers... I'm sure I'll hear about it....

Via text! 🤪

Edited by Joe_Hoopsier
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I'm leaving to go to the Bama house for a few weeks tomorrow. The wife just bought big bucket of KFC. I ate all of the skin off all of the pieces in the bucket. This will be a pet peeve of hers... I'm sure I'll hear about it....

Via text! 🤪

• Haha 2

I just tried to reserve a hotel room for a visitor.

Rate on Google maps was $77.

Rate when I clicked $77 turned in to $123.

Rate when I tried to reserve $123 turned into $133.

Rate when I called and spoke to a person turned into $165.  The $133 was invalid.

Rate with taxes and fees turned $165 into $190.  I said no thanks.

No wonder AirBnB does so well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Madison22 said:

I just tried to reserve a hotel room for a visitor.

Rate on Google maps was $77.

Rate when I clicked $77 turned in to $123.

Rate when I tried to reserve $123 turned into $133.

Rate when I called and spoke to a person turned into $165.  The $133 was invalid.

Rate with taxes and fees turned $165 into $190.  I said no thanks.

No wonder AirBnB does so well.

Use Hotels.com  we always get great rates

• Thanks 1

I know that I have complained about grocery store issues in previous posts but…

those damn drivable grocery carts. I get the need and understand how much they help people with mobility issues. Hell, I used one for a minute after my knee replacement.

But that person who puts it in reverse and let’s it beep incessantly… worse than fingernails on a blackboard. And they don’t seem to notice how obnoxious they are being. If I had a sledgehammer to take out those beepers, I’d be much happier and much less stressed at the local Meijers 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I know that I have complained about grocery store issues in previous posts but…

those damn drivable grocery carts. I get the need and understand how much they help people with mobility issues. Hell, I used one for a minute after my knee replacement.

But that person who puts it in reverse and let’s it beep incessantly… worse than fingernails on a blackboard. And they don’t seem to notice how obnoxious they are being. If I had a sledgehammer to take out those beepers, I’d be much happier and much less stressed at the local Meijers 😁

Latest retail rant....

Had to pick up a prescription today. There's a Kroger not far from my office in FW. Not in FW every day, as I work from home quite a bit. The particular med is much cheaper at Kroger than at my local CVS, hence got it filled there.

This is not a small store. I counted 2 pharmacists and 4 pharmacy techs. Why do they shut down the pharmacy and let them all go to lunch at the same time? I arrived at 1:09 for the sole purpose of picking up the script, and had to stand and wait until they opened back up at 1:30. I could see if this was a smaller department with only 1 pharmacist, like the CVS, but with that many employees, they certainly could alternate lunch times.

Very inconvenient and not customer friendly.

Rant over. I feel much better.....

• Like 1

Hopped on the sub today to go to Summer Streets in Manhattan - they close down Park Avenue from City Hall all the way up to 109th St AND offer free bike rentals on a first come first serve basis. It’s a big deal here each August. 

Got on the first car at 6:30AM and some asshat was blasting Drake’s new album at full blast on his boombox. Car was pretty crowded, but everyone was eyes straight ahead mode. My wife was like, “The new Drake is so lame. Lets switch to another car at he next stop.”

We switched at next stop and sat across from what looked to be a drunk slumped over his legs. Turned out he was itching and picking on his sore-ridden legs. I watched as he picked scabs (or bugs) off of his leg and then carefully stash the scab/bug into the cracks of the seat behind him. 

After a stop or two of this, we got up and moved to the other end of the car. I’m still kind of skeeved out by that. 

But we had fun at Summer Streets!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Hopped on the sub today to go to Summer Streets in Manhattan - they close down Park Avenue from City Hall all the way up to 109th St AND offer free bike rentals on a first come first serve basis. It’s a big deal here each August. 

Got on the first car at 6:30AM and some asshat was blasting Drake’s new album at full blast on his boombox. Car was pretty crowded, but everyone was eyes straight ahead mode. My wife was like, “The new Drake is so lame. Lets switch to another car at he next stop.”

We switched at next stop and sat across from what looked to be a drunk slumped over his legs. Turned out he was itching and picking on his sore-ridden legs. I watched as he picked scabs (or bugs) off of his leg and then carefully stash the scab/bug into the cracks of the seat behind him. 

After a stop or two of this, we got up and moved to the other end of the car. I’m still kind of skeeved out by that. 

But we had fun at Summer Streets!

6ED07921-AEEC-4A1B-A44E-389849406F8D.MOV

The biking part is fun but you offered up 2 reasons I have no interest in NYC.  1. Some people.  2. Some other people.  

• Like 1