Blake Wesley

milehiiu

A name unfamiliar to me.  Until I read TDH's story that mentioned Blake :

IU Basketball Offers Top Three Class of 2021 In-State Players Before Junior Seasons – The Daily Hoosier

So. I reached out.  And got a lot of good feed back.

Enough to start a thread about Blake.

Mixtape :

BLAKE WESLEY RILEY HIGH SCHOOL OFFICIAL 2019 FIRE MIXTAPE 

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blake is playing in the AAU circuit for G3 Grind, an Under Armour affiliated team.  So, he's not getting the publicity of the Nike or Adidas guys.  That said, 247 has him a 4 star and ranked in the top 100 nationally.  I don;t know that the other recruiting services have him ranked yet.  

I've heard of offers from Butler and Toledo.  Not sure if he has received any others or not.  

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Blake is playing in the AAU circuit for G3 Grind, an Under Armour affiliated team.  So, he's not getting the publicity of the Nike or Adidas guys.  That said, 247 has him a 4 star and ranked in the top 100 nationally.  I don;t know that the other recruiting services have him ranked yet.  

I've heard of offers from Butler and Toledo.  Not sure if he has received any others or not.  

Jeez, man. Can I start calling you the Rabby of Hoosier Sports Nation ?

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Uh oh...he's not going to come in knowing how to play defense.

Maybe true...but that coach is now at Southport. Not familiar with the new Riley coach at all. Wesley’s dad was a stud BBall player at Riley in the 80’s and starred at Ball state. So a lot of his coaching comes from his dad who is actually an insurance salesman for State Farm. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

I live near South Bend, and this is really the first time I'm seeing this kid, don't remember hearing his name during the basketball season, unlike Damezi who I knew of early in his high school career.

I was able to see him as a freshman while he mostly played his minutes on the JV, he was dressed for varsity also, just too many solid upperclassmen for him to get anything more than mop up duty. You could tell by his play on the JV that he was going to be the next big stud at Riley. He’s in the mold of Jaden Ivey who’s at Marian Hs in Mishawaka.   Here is a link to his Dad.   https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwiuhdeb-93iAhUJI6wKHZkrB40QFjABegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fballstatesports.com%2Fhof.aspx%3Fhof%3D200&usg=AOvVaw0bHKDigSmTAAbcLlQmoHEP

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

That was my first thought too unfortunately, but I also added “and not knowing how to pass.”

I thought of that as well.  I love Damezi and think he's going to be a real weapon at some point, but it's frustrating how ill-prepared he was coming in and I think that's mostly on his coaches.  He doesn't give any indication at being unwilling to work.

• 1 month later...

Notre Dame offered yesterday. Also of note, Wesley has a new coach at South Bend Riley. His name is Andre Owens. He was a 1991 indiana all star. Was the starting point guard for Eddie Sutton at OK St. And played along side Big Country during their 1995 final four run.

5 hours ago, Milosh68 said:

Notre Dame offered yesterday. Also of note, Wesley has a new coach at South Bend Riley. His name is Andre Owens. He was a 1991 indiana all star. Was the starting point guard for Eddie Sutton at OK St. And played along side Big Country during their 1995 final four run.

This is a guy that I think IU ends up offering, perhaps sooner than later.

A lot to like. Played well through contact. Went to the off hand on a couple. Jump shot looked pretty good. Good court vision.

Definitely one to keep an eye on...

When I saw his name I immediately thought of Brad Wesley...the villan (Ben Gazzara) in "Roadhouse." 

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I guess it just must be how he defines interest, because they are definitely showing some, perhaps not as much as others.

I would guess a top 100 kid if you aren’t offering you aren’t that interested (relative to other schools). 

As far as the kid goes I would say it’s a long shot. We have a good chance to land two guards in 20 class after landing Franklin last year. Add to the fact we will prioritize Lander to play alongside Rob...not much room left on the wing. He looks talented but not sure where he fits on the roster if it plays out like we hope. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived