Blake Wesley

milehiiu

29 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Well. Didn’t Damezi say that almost verbatim?

Damezi also missed his last 18 shots...

If he has that stuck in his head at this moment, then CAM will have to do one heck of a sales job with sincerity and action on convincing him the IU is the place for him.

1) Notre Dame will be hard to beat here because that family has always been at the majority of ND’s home games, so they know and feel Brey and his system the best, and the family is huge on academics and knows what the ND degree does and the doors it opens beyond BB.

2) IU has his mom who is a graduate from Bloomington so they are familiar with the academic opportunities there as well, and realize that IU is a school that you will never be forgotten once you don the uniform for basketball, which is not the case as much for ND in BB, not that you’re forgotten there, just that football is where the name recognition goes on forever.

3) Purdue has a couple of players that he gets along with well in Jaden Ivey and Newman(which will cut down his time for minutes there in the beginning). It’s another school that is fairly close being only an hour and 45 min form their home. 

4) Louisville is intriguing inc because of their style of play and how he fits in. It’s considered more of a players coach school, but is  a 4 and a half hour trip from his home.

5) Texas and Maryland are nice offers to him, but i can’t see his decision going either of those ways because of the family that he has and their involvement in his game.

6) i can see him going to any of the schools mentioned in the 1st four above. The family has the means to travel easily to a majority of his games in the 1st 3 mentioned above. Louisville plays in the ACC like ND so the away games are basically a wash between the 2 schools. 
 I just get the feeling that he will stay with ND,IU, and PU as his cut down list, and IU will be in there if CAM can make him more comfortable with his concerns about being pulled after a mistake is made. His Dad is very observant of how coaches coach, act, and treat the players, so he is a huge influence/guidance in this when offering up what he sees, and Blake trusts him because of his dads playing days, and his dads connections in college basketball. 

7) This is just my Gut feeling, but i am going with 60% confidence in him choosing ND. I’d like to see him in Bloomington 1st, but i wouldn’t be disappointed if he chooses ND. I would be disappointed if it’s PU or Louisville.

1) I just feel that whoever gives his “whole” family the ability to see as many of his games as possible, will be the one that wins out.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Milosh68 said:

If he has that stuck in his head at this moment, then CAM will have to do one heck of a sales job with sincerity and action on convincing him the IU is the place for him.

1) Notre Dame will be hard to beat here because that family has always been at the majority of ND’s home games, so they know and feel Brey and his system the best, and the family is huge on academics and knows what the ND degree does and the doors it opens beyond BB.

2) IU has his mom who is a graduate from Bloomington so they are familiar with the academic opportunities there as well, and realize that IU is a school that you will never be forgotten once you don the uniform for basketball, which is not the case as much for ND in BB, not that you’re forgotten there, just that football is where the name recognition goes on forever.

3) Purdue has a couple of players that he gets along with well in Jaden Ivey and Newman(which will cut down his time for minutes there in the beginning). It’s another school that is fairly close being only an hour and 45 min form their home. 

4) Louisville is intriguing inc because of their style of play and how he fits in. It’s considered more of a players coach school, but is  a 4 and a half hour trip from his home.

5) Texas and Maryland are nice offers to him, but i can’t see his decision going either of those ways because of the family that he has and their involvement in his game.

6) i can see him going to any of the schools mentioned in the 1st four above. The family has the means to travel easily to a majority of his games in the 1st 3 mentioned above. Louisville plays in the ACC like ND so the away games are basically a wash between the 2 schools. 
 I just get the feeling that he will stay with ND,IU, and PU as his cut down list, and IU will be in there if CAM can make him more comfortable with his concerns about being pulled after a mistake is made. His Dad is very observant of how coaches coach, act, and treat the players, so he is a huge influence/guidance in this when offering up what he sees, and Blake trusts him because of his dads playing days, and his dads connections in college basketball. 

7) This is just my Gut feeling, but i am going with 60% confidence in him choosing ND. I’d like to see him in Bloomington 1st, but i wouldn’t be disappointed if he chooses ND. I would be disappointed if it’s PU or Louisville.

1) I just feel that whoever gives his “whole” family the ability to see as many of his games as possible, will be the one that wins out.

It isn’t so much being pulled..Archie substitutes at a high rate. At least it felt that way. Wonder if anyone has numbers but Archie seems a big proponent of “energy”...he wants to keep the energy high from tip to finish especially on the defensive end. You will no doubt get pulled for not hustling or more so for defensive lapses then I’d say missing a shot. Now...that can be good for some kids...but most that like the ball in their hands aren’t going to like sharing that much playing time and may not get in a groove. All said if your a stud like TJD and Romeo you are going to play 30 mins a night...so even that is a misnomer. But if you are one of our rotational guys or even just regular starters we are going to be so deep on the wings that you have to assume you get a 4 min spurt to see if your play warrants another 2-3 mins but in the end you are coming out for fresh legs. That’s my accessment so far of Archie...right or wrong maybe.

From that interview, I think we're whistling past the graveyard on this one...

In his initial statement about what schools are interested, he didn't even mention IU. It had to basically get pulled out of him...

The comments about watching coaches taking people out for one mistake and the condemnation of the pace of our offense says to me we're on the outside looking in at this point...

Plus, "we're close but not that close" didn't sound like a ringing endorsement of the relationship between him and Bruiser/Archie to me...

Love to have him, and maybe we can get in the hunt, but I'm not betting on it...

Franklin, Leal, Galloway, and Geronimo right now on the roster. Definitely room for another guard but if you expect 30 mins a night...you are going to have to ball out. I know Wesley is special young man but to keep those kids on the bench...not sure he is that special.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In his initial statement about what schools are interested, he didn't even mention IU. It had to basically get pulled out of him...

The comments about watching coaches taking people out for one mistake and the condemnation of the pace of our offense says to me we're on the outside looking in at this point...

Plus, "we're close but not that close" didn't sound like a ringing endorsement of the relationship between him and Bruiser/Archie to me...

Love to have him, and maybe we can get in the hunt, but I'm not betting on it...

This is my interpretation as well. I appreciate the optimism of posters on the board - but let’s not act like Blake is purposefully misguiding IU fans. I believe exactly what he said - IU isn’t going to be the spot because of Damezi’s lack of success, his belief the IU offense is slow and he just isn’t a very high priority for us. If he were a high priority we have every reason to believe his relationship with Archie and Bruiser would be a 10.

The fact of the matter is Archie is doing an excellent job recruiting and you can’t get the 88th ranked player in the country every time. Also, the idea that IU would have to change their offense for Blake is a little offensive. We aren’t going to change our offense to land the 88th best player in the country.

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Same and quite honestly. Kids in that close are looking at beating out 3-4 guys for minutes. Hope we get him. If not (which is my feeling) no worries and wish him the best. Recruiting is one thing I'm not worried about right now. If we miss out on every other 21 target maybe...but we still have 4 guys who are going to be with us for a few years.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

It isn’t so much being pulled..Archie substitutes at a high rate. At least it felt that way. Wonder if anyone has numbers but Archie seems a big proponent of “energy”...he wants to keep the energy high from tip to finish especially on the defensive end. You will no doubt get pulled for not hustling or more so for defensive lapses then I’d say missing a shot. Now...that can be good for some kids...but most that like the ball in their hands aren’t going to like sharing that much playing time and may not get in a groove. All said if your a stud like TJD and Romeo you are going to play 30 mins a night...so even that is a misnomer. But if you are one of our rotational guys or even just regular starters we are going to be so deep on the wings that you have to assume you get a 4 min spurt to see if your play warrants another 2-3 mins but in the end you are coming out for fresh legs. That’s my accessment so far of Archie...right or wrong maybe.

I don't see Archie subbing at a high rate especially compared to Crean

11 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I agree with your take.  Blake is a smart kid from a very impressive family.  He knows this whole game and knows better than to tip his hand.  I am not saying IU is in the lead or anything, but I also don't think they are in a bad spot like this interview might suggest.

I had a nice talk with his dad today too.  I think IU is still firmly in the hunt here, on the top line with ND, Purdue and Louisville.

First and foremost, thank you for the content (as always!). I will trust your assessment of the interview and I hope we are in a better position than he projected it. Just feel like it’s an uphill battle when the kid forgets to mention IU when asked who is recruiting him the hardest...

21 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

First and foremost, thank you for the content (as always!). I will trust your assessment of the interview and I hope we are in a better position than he projected it. Just feel like it’s an uphill battle when the kid forgets to mention IU when asked who is recruiting him the hardest...

Let'em go to ND its close for him and it sounds like IU just isnt doing it for him and i think the Anderson deal certainly doesn't help...you know they have talked about his experiences at IU

7 minutes ago, Sark said:

He’d be the best of that group the minute he arrived in Bloomington, but IU’s chances here are very slim. We’re probably third behind ND and Purdue, with ND way out in front.

Maybe talent wise but did not care for his attitude in that interview.  I want guys who want to be at IU and will buy into the system and don't think the system should be built around them.

11 minutes ago, Sark said:

He’d be the best of that group the minute he arrived in Bloomington, but IU’s chances here are very slim. We’re probably third behind ND and Purdue, with ND way out in front.

Actually I think Geronimo has as much talent as Wesley and will surprise some people

2 hours ago, Sark said:

He may be the best of that group...I’ll give you that...be he ain’t head and shoulders better and would still have to play at a very high level even for him to keep all those guys on the bench is my point...say if he wants Romeo type minutes. Guess my point is those kids all are good enough to eat into his minutes that he wouldn’t see at ND for instance. 

Archie does not take guys out after a mistake.  That’s some serious absurdity there.  If anything, Archie is way too forgiving of letting guys play through mistakes.  

Linking IU to that would be a misconception if anyone truly believes that, which I seriously doubt if you watch IU beyond a casual glance.  

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Archie does not take guys out after a mistake.  That’s some serious absurdity there.  If anything, Archie is way too forgiving of letting guys play through mistakes.  

Linking IU to that would be a misconception if anyone truly believes that, which I seriously doubt if you watch IU beyond a casual glance.  

Agree - but Wesley WAS thinking of Archie when making that comment. So let’s say Wesley has that misconception. Wesley didn’t watch Devonte for four years - so he doesn’t know the truth like we do.

1 minute ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

Agree - but Wesley WAS thinking of Archie when making that comment. So let’s say Wesley has that misconception. Wesley didn’t watch Devonte for four years - so he doesn’t know the truth like we do.

Great example about Green.  You could add many others from Justin, Romeo, Durham, and on and on.  They were allowed to play without fear of being pulled.  It’s actually a pretty laughable premise if you think about it.  

Anyway, I didn’t really see him link his statement to IU.  But maybe there was something I missed.  If it’s a problem with a particular coach, I’d think it would be much more so an issue for Brey and especially Painter.  I actually thought of them more than Archie when he said that.  They are unforgiving and not as free wheeling as Archie, who will let you work things out on the court.

The truth is that if you play hard on both ends as Wesley seems to, he is not going to have a problem with any coach.  Coaches want to win. They will tolerate a lot if you are playing your rear end off and doing what he wants.  

21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yeah, I'm not buying that at all.  Justin Smith played 30 minutes a game last year.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Another thing is ND plays a pretty slow pace offensively and Brey stresses no turnovers.  To me Wesley needs to look at that because Brey does not tolerate players who like to go on their own.

Purdue is even worse. Last 3 years possessions per game (indication of how fast they play because Virginia has ranked almost last out of 350 schools every year)

Purdue-255, 298, 318

Notre Dame-311, 310, 184

Indiana-252, 182,  215

So while Notre Dame did speed it up last year (previously even before last 3 they were sub 300 most years) I’d say actually Archie has shown to have a more consistent up tempo offense (including at Dayton he typically was sub 200) and would like it to play faster if he had the horses....and that’s despite playing what I believe is just as good defense forcing late shot clock possessions for opponents.

Maybe it’s more ACC vs B1G thing again...as most successful B1G programs the past several years MSU, Purdue, Ohio St, and even Michigan have played slower.

10 hours ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

This is my interpretation as well. I appreciate the optimism of posters on the board - but let’s not act like Blake is purposefully misguiding IU fans. I believe exactly what he said - IU isn’t going to be the spot because of Damezi’s lack of success, his belief the IU offense is slow and he just isn’t a very high priority for us. If he were a high priority we have every reason to believe his relationship with Archie and Bruiser would be a 10.

The fact of the matter is Archie is doing an excellent job recruiting and you can’t get the 88th ranked player in the country every time. Also, the idea that IU would have to change their offense for Blake is a little offensive. We aren’t going to change our offense to land the 88th best player in the country.

It really wouldn't be changing the offense.  Archie wants to run.  He said that at his first press conference and every year since.  He hasn't had the right personnel to make that happen, and playing in the Big Ten makes it really difficult too.  That is the most intriguing thing for me about Khristian Lander.  He gets downhill fast, and having two true point guards on the roster next year will help ensure that IU has fresh legs always with a foot on the gas pushing tempo.

Watching Wesley yesterday, he plays incredibly fast and really likes to get out and run.  I can understand his concerns and IU is going to have to convince him that he is part of the solution.  If he is truly concerned he should get out of the Big Ten where the physical play that is permitted often hinders uptempo play.

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

It really wouldn't be changing the offense.  Archie wants to run.  He said that at his first press conference and every year since.  He hasn't had the right personnel to make that happen, and playing in the Big Ten makes it really difficult too.  That is the most intriguing thing for me about Khristian Lander.  He gets downhill fast, and having two true point guards on the roster next year will help ensure that IU has fresh legs always with a foot on the gas pushing tempo.

Watching Wesley yesterday, he plays incredibly fast and really likes to get out and run.  I can understand his concerns and IU is going to have to convince him that he is part of the solution.  If he is truly concerned he should get out of the Big Ten where the physical play that is permitted often hinders uptempo play.

Big ten is for sure tough with how refs call it.  There is also plenty of opportunity to be up tempo in the league.  Today's game teams focus more on themselves and their style than not.  Kentucky isn't going to slow it down because they are playing MSU.  

And, if IU made more transition shots, they would be considered fast paced.  They play up-tempo just didn't necessarily have the tool set.  This incoming class with Lander changes that.

14 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Maybe my interpretation of Blake's words were a bit of leap of faith on my part, but I can see where the perception that CAM will yank a player after a mistake or mental lapse comes from...

I'm not sure "one mistake" would get you a seat on the bench, but I think we all saw Archie use his bench to send a message, especially when the lapse was on the defensive end or an unforced turnover. 

I remember Hunter getting a really short stint in a game where the first 2 possessions he was in his man blew by him and scored...out he came...I also remember a post game presser where he said TJD's lack of energy got him a seat too...

He wasn't so quick on the trigger with DG after the first year because as he alluded to in one of his pressers you had to accept some of the bad Devonte to get the super Devonte...

And although none of us know for sure, if he talked to Damezi I can't believe CAM was cast in a totally positive light...

Archived