Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Sign in to follow this  
milehiiu

Blake Wesley

37 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Had a good talk with Blake's dad Derrick.  Here's the latest on his recruitment, including a current IU player helping with the cause.

Great article TDH! Awesome to see Anderson so interactive too! Having our own guys trying to get other kids here to me is huge. Shows they are invested in the long run and making the program stronger...even if a kid might play your position. Seem to be in a good position for the kid even if we have a pretty full backcourt.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 10:17 PM, dgambill said:

Great article TDH! Awesome to see Anderson so interactive too! Having our own guys trying to get other kids here to me is huge. Shows they are invested in the long run and making the program stronger...even if a kid might play your position. Seem to be in a good position for the kid even if we have a pretty full backcourt.

Good to see that Damezi encouraged/pushed him to play well in front of the staff etc.  Since Damezi did not get a lot of playing time last year one could have speculated about his attitude, and/or if he was happy with how things went last year, but this indicates that he must have “bought-in” (at least to this point) with the need to work hard to  earn his minutes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Good to see that Damezi encouraged/pushed him to play well in front of the staff etc.  Since Damezi did not get a lot of playing time last year one could have speculated about his attitude, and/or if he was happy with how things went last year, but this indicates that he must have “bought-in” (at least to this point) with the need to work hard to  earn his minutes.

Yes. I worry Damezi. I mean I don't know how much he planned on playing as a freshman but I do think this year will be key for him. There are minutes to be had this year for him on the wing to step in and be a spark. If we don't see that happen now and he establish himself when 2020 comes he may see a lot of his minutes gobbled up. I'm glad to see he is so positive!

In interviews after the season, Damezi stated that the speed of the game and learning the defense was more difficult for him than he thought. He stated that he expected for it to come easier to him this Soph season.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Moyeneeded said:

In interviews after the season, Damezi stated that the speed of the game and learning the defense was more difficult for him than he thought. He stated that he expected for it to come easier to him this Soph season.

Yes. He looked rushed on his shot attempts and he looked lost in our system and even on inbound plays etc. I think he kinda got stage fright honestly. I expect the game to slow down for him and hopefully by the second half of the season to really come off the bench and give us a lift.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

"He is expected to grow to 6-foot-6 with a 7-foot wingspan"

Sounds like an Archie Miller wing to me.

Question might be how many scholarships we will still have in 2021. May be luck to only have a couple depending on who leaves early and if we use them in 2020.

50 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Question might be how many scholarships we will still have in 2021. May be luck to only have a couple depending on who leaves early and if we use them in 2020.

Right now it looks like there will likely be 3 without any big changes. 

• Like 1

Just now, DC2345 said:

Right now it looks like there will likely be 3 without any big changes. 

Yes but if we sign more than 4 this year then if one of those kids is Al or Justin (assuming not Brunk) then that takes away a scholarship from 21. I’m not overly worried because if anything Trayce or Jerome have a better chance to go pro than we and up with less than 3 scholarships. I will say one probably needs to be a traditional 5 if we can’t land one in 20.