Since Davis's resignation, which Freshman do you....

1 minute ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

It's a pretty short list I think. Basically boils down to EJ or Cody. Both were sensational freshmen, but the efficiency and team success tips the scales towards Cody IMO.

One memory about Cody, I will never forget.  Was when a player deliberately hit him in his private parts.  Instead of going nuts, like many others are prone to do. Cody continues on with the game until there is a time out. Then, Cody calmly walks up to a ref. Tells the ref what happened.  And the refs review the play. After the review, they call a foul (I think it was a technical, but could be wrong about that) on the opposing player.  Cody, even as a freshman was cool as a cucumber.  Displayed a ton of poise for a freshman. 

It also depends what you are really talking about, is it just individual success or are you wanting team success as well.  If it is about individual seasons then it is Gordon but if you take teams success it might be Cody but Gordon's season at one time we were 24-4

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It also depends what you are really talking about, is it just individual success or are you wanting team success as well.  If it is about individual seasons then it is Gordon but if you take teams success it might be Cody but Gordon's season at one time we were 24-4

Really was thinking what individual had the best individual freshman season, since Davis.

Sad to think only two stand out.  Not saying that is not the case.  Just think there should be more in the span of over a decade.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would go...

Cody Zeller

Eric Gordon

Thomas Bryant

Romeo Langford

JBJ

Vonleh

Watford

Hardest calls for me were Bryant over Langford and JBJ over Vonleh. 

Excellent list BG.  That's why you are the best.  Interesting that Oladipo did not make your list.  Yet, I can agree, as Vic came on after his freshman season.

18 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

To be fair, there have been a lot of really good freshman in the post-Davis era. EJ and Cody were just that good.

Thomas Bryant - 12ppg, 6rpg, 1bpg, 68%fg

Noah Vonleh - 11ppg, 9rpg, 1.4bpg,

JBJ - 16ppg, 5rpg

Christian Watford - 12ppg, 6rpg

Maurice Creek (on a shortened season) - 16ppg, 4rpg, 1.4spg

One has to wonder, aside from his freshman season, what kind of legacy Creek would have left at IU, sans the injuries.   Good list as well. 

Just now, slojoe said:

Although Cody had a great freshman season, I agree with IUScott that EJ had the best freshmen season.  Although EJ's field goal percentages were not as good as Cody's, EJ was a dominate scorer averaging almost 21 ppg.   

And as we know.  EJ worked on his shooting.  And became a threat from three, later on.  Good post. 

4 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Although Cody had a great freshman season, I agree with IUScott that EJ had the best freshmen season.  Although EJ's field goal percentages were not as good as Cody's, EJ was a dominate scorer averaging almost 21 ppg.   

This is kind of a 'to each their own' kind of topic where some count team success and some don't. I took team success into consideration for my list, not as the determining factor, but as sort of a tie-breaking factor so to speak. While EJ certainly had a better year from a numbers perspective, and his teams swoon and what happened around him was certainly out of his control, Cody's impact and the way that team finished the season playing so well puts him at the top of the list for me. 

Same reason I had Thomas Bryant over Langford. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is kind of a 'to each their own' kind of topic where some count team success and some don't. I took team success into consideration for my list, not as the determining factor, but as sort of a tie-breaking factor so to speak. While EJ certainly had a better year from a numbers perspective, and his teams swoon and what happened around him was certainly out of his control, Cody's impact and the way that team finished the season playing so well puts him at the top of the list for me. 

Same reason I had Thomas Bryant over Langford. 

That's what I like about you.  You really do think about your replies.  In other words, there is reason and logic behind your posts.  Some NBA team should hire you.  LOL

11 hours ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

To be fair, there have been a lot of really good freshman in the post-Davis era. EJ and Cody were just that good.

Thomas Bryant - 12ppg, 6rpg, 1bpg, 68%fg

Noah Vonleh - 11ppg, 9rpg, 1.4bpg,

JBJ - 16ppg, 5rpg

Christian Watford - 12ppg, 6rpg

Maurice Creek (on a shortened season) - 16ppg, 4rpg, 1.4spg

I'm glad someone brought up Creek, because he was actually the first that came to my mind. Go back and watch that year's Kentucky game. Yes, it's brutal overall but Creek was hanging with that squad of hired guns step for step, without a whole lot of help. Watch him in comparison to Watford, who became a legend in his own right; Creek was on a visibly higher level than CWat even then.  I think his freshman year would have been on par with EJs, had he not injured the knee.

IU's injury Mt. Rushmore: May's arm, Henderson's knee, Creek's knees and  Landon Turner.

I was a freshman when George played his only college season.  My friends told me that when George was a freshmen the Varsity was only the third best team on campus behind George's intramural team and the freshmen team. 

Lots of McGinnis stories, but he was truly a man among boys even in college.

To this day my most enjoyable IU basketball memories (beside the 3 championships I've been alive for) are Big George plucking a 1 handed rebound at the defensive end, charging the length of the court (with a behind the back dribble in there somewhere) and throwing a behind the back pass or rising up and flicking the ball down through the basket. It wasn't a dunk, since those weren't allowed at the time, but it was awfully close. He was something to watch.

And, to answer Mile's question, I'd say Cody followed very closely by EJ. I think Romeo would be higher if we could have avoided the injury bug, especially Rob's concussion,  and made the NCAA tourney. 

Really close for me as well on Cody/Gordon. Because of the team results I'll say Cody but I'll echo others...people forget when IU decided to give themselves the death penalty for a parking ticket Gordon and his team was gaining tons of traction and had Final 4 written all over them. Guess we'll never know. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Really close for me as well on Cody/Gordon. Because of the team results I'll say Cody but I'll echo others...people forget when IU decided to give themselves the death penalty for a parking ticket Gordon and his team was gaining tons of traction and had Final 4 written all over them. Guess we'll never know. 

I don't know if I'd call drug dealing a parking ticket.

Archived