And then. There's this about Romeo

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, rico said:

Was there really any doubt?

Yes. I think Romeo was a victim of his own hype.  Not that he hyped himself, like "Born Ready" years ago.  But rather by his performances in high school. And his willingness to sign autographs, for hours after games, for adoring fans. Who were expecting much more in Candy Stripes. However, Romeo fell victim to an injury, that he never made an excuse of. 

Romeo just came along at the wrong time in Indiana history...if say he came along with the Yogi, Dipo, Zeller team or say some of the good early 90s teams he might not had to carry such offensive burden but could have put a team over the top. Just didn’t have much around him.

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Romeo just came along at the wrong time in Indiana history...if say he came along with the Yogi, Dipo, Zeller team or say some of the good early 90s teams he might not had to carry such offensive burden but could have put a team over the top. Just didn’t have much around him.

I think expectations were a bit high based on what IU basketball used to be. And I fell victim to it myself. I still think Romeo will help the program progress. And am happy he chose IU. 

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

I think expectations were a bit high based on what IU basketball used to be. And I fell victim to it myself. I still Romeo will help the program progress. And am happy he chose IU. 

I thought we were easily a tournament team...but injuries just killed us...especially the Hunter injury and then when Rob went down that killed our momentum as well. Jerome was going to be that 3rd option and a matchup nightmare it just didn’t work out. Excited to see what he can give us this year.

25 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think expectations were a bit high based on what IU basketball used to be. And I fell victim to it myself. I still think Romeo will help the program progress. And am happy he chose IU. 

Falling victim to expectations is a good way to put it.  I must admit, I was one who fell into that category.

I remember posting something after he committed that Romeo would average 15-16 points a game, and a lot of people thought I was crazy.  People were expecting 24 ppg.  That was never going to be Romeo, even if he was healthy.  Failure to meet those expectations fall on the fan base, not the player.

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I remember posting something after he committed that Romeo would average 15-16 points a game, and a lot of people thought I was crazy.  People were expecting 24 ppg.  That was never going to be Romeo, even if he was healthy.  Failure to meet those expectations fall on the fan base, not the player.

Out of curiosity, I wonder where Romeo's ppg stack up against other IU frosh through history?

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Funny. When there were negative threads about Romeo and the false rumor that was spread, I posted here that it was false.

This is not an invitation to re-open that discussion, but the rumor and the negative stuff that was attempted to be spread about Romeo, again, was entirely false.

People got all over me when I said that the fan base needs to look at themselves in the mirror because we are part of the problem with this program.  I said many times what fans say on social media can have a big impact on our current players or future recruits but some will never believe it.  it is obvious from the players quotes that they see and hear what is said about them and to me this can be very dangerous if the fans keep it up.  I don't care if other fans do this because it does not make it the right thing to do since everyone else does the same thing.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

People got all over me when I said that the fan base needs to look at themselves in the mirror because we are part of the problem with this program.  I said many times what fans say on social media can have a big impact on our current players or future recruits but some will never believe it.  it is obvious from the players quotes that they see and hear what is said about them and to me this can be very dangerous if the fans keep it up.  I don't care if other fans do this because it does not make it the right thing to do since everyone else does the same thing.

I don't disagree with your point at all. Some of the nonsense posted online from fans is incredible and ridiculous. The overreactions to things, the personal attacks, etc. I was one that lobbied for that Langford/rumor thread to not only be locked but to be deleted. It was absolutely out of bounds. 

With all that said, I still can't wrap my head around the idea that if fans online negatively impact IU's basketball program, than why doesn't it seem to negatively impact Kentucky or UCLA or Kansas or a host of any other programs where the fans are at minimum equal to IU in terms of some of the crazy obsessions? For example, Keion Brooks' family mentioned IU fans at points in his recruitment, but then they committed to the school with maybe the craziest fans in all of college basketball?!?! That just doesn't seem to add up?

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't disagree with your point at all. Some of the nonsense posted online from fans is incredible and ridiculous. The overreactions to things, the personal attacks, etc. I was one that lobbied for that Langford/rumor thread to not only be locked but to be deleted. It was absolutely out of bounds. 

With all that said, I still can't wrap my head around the idea that if fans online negatively impact IU's basketball program, than why doesn't it seem to negatively impact Kentucky or UCLA or Kansas or a host of any other programs where the fans are at minimum equal to IU in terms of some of the crazy obsessions? For example, Keion Brooks' family mentioned IU fans at points in his recruitment, but then they committed to the school with maybe the craziest fans in all of college basketball?!?! That just doesn't seem to add up?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I've also had the thought, over 20 years of being on IU message boards, that a lot of the real trashy stuff said about IU recruits/players was posted by faux-fans...in other words, fans of other rival programs just trying to get a rise out of our fanbase all the while making the fanbase look bad...and there's little anyone can do to stop that.

And if fans trashing players on the internet (where everything is true!) is even top 20 in reasons not to go to a particular school, I'd be surprised. 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've also had the thought, over 20 years of being on IU message boards, that a lot of the real trashy stuff said about IU recruits/players was posted by faux-fans...in other words, fans of other rival programs just trying to get a rise out of our fanbase all the while making the fanbase look bad...and there's little anyone can do to stop that.

And if fans trashing players on the internet (where everything is true!) is even top 20 in reasons not to go to a particular school, I'd be surprised. 

It is not really the message boards that are the problem but what is said on social media like Twitter that goes directly to the player or their families.

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My guess is he wasn't planning on going to UK, so they were not paying attention to UK fans etc. 

Archived