And then. There's this about Romeo

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is not really the message boards that are the problem but what is said on social media like Twitter that goes directly to the player or their families.

Think there aren't ne'er-do-wells with too much time on their hands that wouldn't gin up a phony Twitter account to cause mischief? 

Like I said, if the school, location, academics, facilities,  coaching staff, teammates etc are anywhere behind "what's being said on the internet about me" in a recruit's decision,  I'd wonder about the kid...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Think there aren't ne'er-do-wells with too much time on their hands that wouldn't gin up a phony Twitter account to cause mischief? 

Like I said, if the school, location, academics, facilities,  coaching staff, teammates etc are anywhere behind "what's being said on the internet about me" in a recruit's decision,  I'd wonder about the kid...

Yeah, I have a hard time imagining a player saying, "hey Coach, you're the coach I want to play for, and I love the academics and campus, IU is the place for me! Except, there were some mean fans on Twitter that I didn't appreciate, so I'm going to Kentucky, sorry."

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I have a hard time imagining a player saying, "hey Coach, you're the coach I want to play for, and I love the academics and campus, IU is the place for me! Except, there were some mean fans on Twitter that I didn't appreciate, so I'm going to Kentucky, sorry."

I truly believe if everything else is pretty much equal something like the fan base can help or deter a player coming to a school.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I truly believe if everything else is pretty much equal something like the fan base can help or deter a player coming to a school.

I gotcha, my scenario was definitely not the "everything else is equal" scenario. 

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know...if a kid's skin is that thin he's probably more suited for Purdue anyway.

I once said on another IU board that PU fans' skin is so thin, it makes the one-ply in a Walmart restroom look like an 8 layer Italian wedding cake...

Boy, did THAT get them hoppin on B&G Illustrated.

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...if a kid's skin is that thin he's probably more suited for Purdue anyway.

I once said on another IU board that PU fans' skin is so thin, it makes the one-ply in a Walmart restroom look like an 8 layer Italian wedding cake...

Boy, did THAT get them hoppin on B&G Illustrated.

Case in point lol

Mile, thanks for posting this.  I really admire Romeo for the teammate he was and the adversity he dealt with.  He may have only been at IU one year, but I'll always root for a kid like that.

...just drives me nuts when the loony Facebook group uses Romeo as an example of why IU doesn't want one & done players.  What ignorant rubbish...

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So a player spends several YEARS talking to coaches, some of them daily, goes on unofficial visits, official visits, tirelessly evaluates the pros and cons of each program with family, coaches, trainers and trusted advisors, trains every day, plays all year including traveling all over the country, all to give themselves the best opportunity........and wait, what's that, anonymous trolls on Twitter???!!!!!  And school A has 16 trolls and school B has 12 trolls.....so forget school A....no matter what I might have been thinking, just forget school A.

Come on man.  I know one of the outlets that covers IU trafficked this idea in the Brooks recruitment.  It was the same outlet that ultimately hosted his announcement.  Think about that for a minute.

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If the first quote is your claim, then all things are never equal. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I shoulda stopped at the first four, when I was ahead!

It is all good Bro.  Another one that came to mind was Eric Anderson.  Regardless, the list is pretty small of frosh that averaged in double figures.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

It is all good Bro.  Another one that came to mind was Eric Anderson.  Regardless, the list is pretty small of frosh that averaged in double figures.

Thanks. Yep, and also where Romeo ranks on that list.

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

And will be looked upon in a much more positive light than another 2-guard who happens to be on the list above and averaged 16.2 ppg.

Ho-lee-hell.  It just dawned on me: Romeo Langford is the exact 180 of Bracey Wright. 

Bracey: "Be more team focused"
Romeo: "Be more selfish"

Bracey: "Shoot less"
Romeo: "Shoot more"

And a cheap shot....
Bracey: Nobody stopped him from declaring, 2nd round pick.
Romeo: People wanted him back, expected 1st round pick.

Archived