QB Competition

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Interested to hear how things are shaping up with the QB competition.  Wonder if we see multiple to start the season.

Just from reading different things about the first few practices, I would guess Ramsey will start and all 3 guys will see time the first couple games.  I think if Ramsey is going to lose his job, it will be because of game performance and not practice performance.

Today's practice was open to the public, and a few people were reporting that Penix looked really good.  I'd love to see Penix take over the starting job by the OSU game, but my prediction is Ramsey starts the first 3 games.  We start Ramsey against OSU so they prepare a lot for him, and then bring in Penix the 2nd or 3rd series and he plays the rest of the game and starts the rest of the season.

35 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
After attending several days at fall camp and talking to others that have done the same, we go through each IU QB and tell you why they will win the job -- and why they won't -- and then give a prediction on the outcome.

Great article, yet again. Thanks for your focus on IU football as well as basketball.  Much appreciated.

Thanks for the article.

I do have one thing that bugs me, and you are far from the only person who has said this, so nothing personal.

Ramsey threw the 6th most interceptions in college football last year, so I don't consider him to be very secure with the ball.

I do agree that he'll begin the season as the starter though.  I'm predicting the OSU game to be the one where Penix starts to take over.  Make them prepare for Ramsey, and then bring in Penix as a curveball.  Similar to the PSU game last year.

50 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Thanks for the article.

I do have one thing that bugs me, and you are far from the only person who has said this, so nothing personal.

Ramsey threw the 6th most interceptions in college football last year, so I don't consider him to be very secure with the ball.

I do agree that he'll begin the season as the starter though.  I'm predicting the OSU game to be the one where Penix starts to take over.  Make them prepare for Ramsey, and then bring in Penix as a curveball.  Similar to the PSU game last year.

Same thoughts. I really like what I saw from Penix. When healthy he's the better of him vs Ramsey in my little opinion. Haven't watched Tuttle so have nothing on him. 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Same thoughts. I really like what I saw from Penix. When healthy he's the better of him vs Ramsey in my little opinion. Haven't watched Tuttle so have nothing on him. 

I was a little disconcerted about the mention of Penix not looking as comfortable as last year.  Kind of expected coming off an ACL tear, but I had hopes he'd be moving more comfortably.  Hopefully a handful of series in each of the first couple games can get him back into the swing of things.

24 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I was a little disconcerted about the mention of Penix not looking as comfortable as last year.  Kind of expected coming off an ACL tear, but I had hopes he'd be moving more comfortably.  Hopefully a handful of series in each of the first couple games can get him back into the swing of things.

Amen...I just hope he doesn't end up like a deer in the headlights.  But I got faith.

6 hours ago, rico said:

Amen...I just hope he doesn't end up like a deer in the headlights.  But I got faith.

I agree with it boiling down to moving on from his injuries mentally. 

Penix has at least 3 things going for him .That is before the obvious fact IU has other options that are capable at QB. 

1. DeBoer's system is similar enough to what he has already learned in college that his methods aren't foreign concepts coming in.

2.Talent and experience around him.

3. The main thing is attentive coaches and a caring,supportive environment that would likely not leave him in position to fail and even put him in one to begin with. Although they can't predict everything they can control what they can with the ad vantages they do have going .

This is where confidence in a family environment on the team is all I really have to go on but for what it is worth that is something that can mitigate the rough patches of learning the system or regaining full confidence. . 

If Penix does win the job and ends up having to lean more on the WRs, Hendershot , Scott, etc than the other way around, then so be it .

I just think he has too much around him and should he win the job- ultimately would continue and in competition to keep him sharp - too many guys right on his heels pushing him- there is a measure of support even with a position battle. if he is structurally 100% PR and JT should help keep his urgency to compete and make the most of his remaining eligibility in college in focus. 

A side thought . I am curious which board will have the first fan stupid enough to say DeBoer doesn't know how to run an offense or direct any general negativity his way  - BEFORE the first game is even played -  if Ramsey wins out. 

Just staying open to the reality that the job is still up for grabs to keep the horse ahead of the cart a bit. I just view the QB situation as a "good problem" to have right now after how Wilson managed it and how rough it started off with QB depth under Allen. 

I talked to one of the coaches this evening for about 20 mins. I ask him about the QB's, though he has no say on that side of the ball. He thinks Ramsey will win out because of experience and the players love him, has the locker room. Said Penix is also well liked and has the better arm. I flat told him Talent better win out every time and if Penix is the better player he better be in there. His reply was, when was the last time one QB played the whole year. I ask him about the kid from Utah. He said he was a very good player but a different player than the other 2. A bad runner but not Richard Lagow bad.

23 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Thanks for the article.

That's a good point that I probably should have clarified.  Ramsey won the job last year because he got first downs and didn't turn it over in camp.  You are right that it didn't translate well much of the time during the season.

5 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

That's a good point that I probably should have clarified.  Ramsey won the job last year because he got first downs and didn't turn it over in camp.  You are right that it didn't translate well much of the time during the season.

Thanks for clarifying!  I was surprised to see on a breakdown of Ramsey's throws from last year that most of his interceptions were thrown on short to medium passes.  He only threw 1 interception on a pass more than 20 yards.  It kind of makes me wonder if there was some bad luck in there, or if they were mostly from bad throws.  I'd be interested in reviewing each of his interceptions to see.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Thanks for clarifying!  I was surprised to see on a breakdown of Ramsey's throws from last year that most of his interceptions were thrown on short to medium passes.  He only threw 1 interception on a pass more than 20 yards.  It kind of makes me wonder if there was some bad luck in there, or if they were mostly from bad throws.  I'd be interested in reviewing each of his interceptions to see.

Well the pick he had against MSU went right through our RBs hands

Having reviewed all 13 of his interceptions, they were almost all on bad throws or bad reads.  About the only one that could maybe be attributed to a receiver was the one btown mentioned, but that was a pretty poor pass (also a poor catch attempt, but a tough play all around).  The rest were pretty much all underthrows, throws behind guys, or bad reads.

Maybe it’s just me but if the program wants to present the impression that it is changed for the better, then I believe a change at quarterback is warranted. Ramsey is a game manager at best. Give the ball to Penix and live with the good and not so good. The program needs a sense of electricity to get the students, fans and alumni juiced about this season. I just don’t think Ramsey is the guy to do that 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Maybe it’s just me but if the program wants to present the impression that it is changed for the better, then I believe a change at quarterback is warranted. Ramsey is a game manager at best. Give the ball to Penix and live with the good and not so good. The program needs a sense of electricity to get the students, fans and alumni juiced about this season. I just don’t think Ramsey is the guy to do that 

I'm guessing the starting job will go to Ramsey with the coaches thinking Penix might take over.  The team seems to really love Ramsey, so I don't think it would sit well with benching him for a guy based on his potential.  Ramsey is a guy who will look good in practice because he makes the routine plays, but I think Penix is more of a gamer.  They'll both play plenty in the first 2 games, so hopefully Penix plays well and can take over after that.  If Penix can take over by the OSU or MSU game, I'll be happy.

Also, I totally agree with you about the talent of the 2.  I would love for Penix to be the starter this year.  Ramsey is a guy who won't win many games and won't lose many games.  The bad thing for us is that we need a QB who can win us some games.  If Penix can come in and get a win against OSU, MSU, Neb, etc., I think fans would be really excited.  If Ramsey knocks one of them off, most will still be a little uneasy because it would be more of a fluke that Ramsey pulled that off since he hasn't shown he can do it yet.

14 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree all day. Unless Ramsey has made dramatic improvements....I go with Penix. Nothing against Ramsey at all but we've watched for 2 seasons what he can and can't do. 

Archived