QB Competition

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Did anyone listen to the video Rabjohns posted about the QBs? 

I just listened to it.  Basically said they won't officially announce anything for a few days, but they are going to start giving one of them more reps in practice.  If there are any open practices coming up, that will probably show who it is.

20 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I just listened to it.  Basically said they won't officially announce anything for a few days, but they are going to start giving one of them more reps in practice.  If there are any open practices coming up, that will probably show who it is.

They didnt say who would get more reps?

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Practices are open the next couple days so we shall see.

12 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

If I had to guess, it’d be Penix getting the reps.  High ceiling, great toolset, and has the arm strength to stretch the field and open up things for Scott and Co. to do their thing between the tackles.

15 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Correction.  Only 30 minutes open today, couldn't tell much.  Practice closed tomorrow.  Allen is speaking to media on Thursday at 11:30.  Look for it then.

Thanks for the update! I think in yesterday's talk he said probably in a few days, so that would fall in line with that too.

From what I've seen from Twitter, it sounds like Tuttle is very talented but not there with his reads.  That's not surprising at all since he's a Freshman. Too many picks, apparently. I will be shocked if he wins the job. Longer term, he may very well be a big factor, because physically, he can rip it.

From those same sources, Penix is coming along but not fully comfortable or consistent.  That makes sense, because if he were, he'd have the job hands down.

I haven't seen a second of anything on the field, so take it for what it's worth from the Twitter gang.

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Kent Sterling is saying that he's hearing it will be Penix as the starter.  According to Kent, Coach Allen is willing "to take a risk."

Self preservation is a good thing. Not saying it's the absolute answer but if a coach runs the same kid out there again and record goes sideways.....people will ask the question why Ramsey again Coach? I like Penix. I'm also a Florida high school football homer so I'm really hopeful for Penix. 

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Self preservation is a good thing. Not saying it's the absolute answer but if a coach runs the same kid out there again and record goes sideways.....people will ask the question why Ramsey again Coach? I like Penix. I'm also a Florida high school football homer so I'm really hopeful for Penix. 

Ohio football isn't too shabby either. 

16 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Kent Sterling is saying that he's hearing it will be Penix as the starter.  According to Kent, Coach Allen is willing "to take a risk."

Here's where he said it if anybody wants to listen. He seemed really confident in it. Talks about it a couple minutes in.

http://kentsterling.com/2019/08/21/breakfast-with-kent-no-luck-for-colts-its-penix-for-iu-football-cubs-win-roberts-back-to-iubb/

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Hopefully today is the day!

I read somewhere (can't remember if it was Twitter or another board) that apparently Penix was the first QB up for the 2 minute drill yesterday.

I'm starting to get really, really hopeful that Penix will be the starter.

Some of the tells on twitter have certainly been suggesting Penix has been the guy for about a week. I'm happy for him....and I hope that means he's fully recovered.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Hopefully today is the day!

I read somewhere (can't remember if it was Twitter or another board) that apparently Penix was the first QB up for the 2 minute drill yesterday.

I'm starting to get really, really hopeful that Penix will be the starter.

I'm excited for Penix to possibly be the starter with Ramsey as the most solid backup in the conference; maybe not the most explosive, but definitely the most solid.

At this point, though, it's obvious that even if Ramsey starts against BSU, Penix is going to get substantial playing time. 

Either way, I think it's a positive for the offense.  If Penix isn't starting, he can go in the game and take over the starting position with his play.

Archived