What is this? (cool unusual things you have)

Anyone know what this is? 

I researched the maker from the hallmarks.  Art Deco sterling silver.  Made in 1923 by Robert William Jay in Chester, England.  He later made silver air raid badges during WW II.  (Amazing the things you can learn from just those little embedded marks.)

But what is it?  I've found a few more of his pieces, but nothing like this.  It's 2 inches tall, without shoes (basketball joke xD).

I don't think it's what we would call a shot glass, but I suppose it could be.

If it's part of a larger set, I'd love to find it.  

silver 2.JPG     silver cup.JPG

2 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Anyone know what this is? 

I researched the maker from the hallmarks.  Art Deco sterling silver.  Made in 1923 by Robert William Jay in Chester, England.  He later made silver air raid badges during WW II.  (Amazing the things you can learn from just those little embedded marks.)

But what is it?  I've found a few more of his pieces, but nothing like this.  It's 2 inches tall, without shoes (basketball joke xD).

I don't think it's what we would call a shot glass, but I suppose it could be.   

silver 2.JPG

silver cup.JPG

Egg cup? 

More blind guesses:

Cordial goblet (not really a goblet shape, but same function)
Finger bowl

Was going to guess a cigar/pipe snuffer, but I'd expect it to be charred/burnt looking on the inside.  Wouldn't be a candle snuffer, since those typically have long handles. 

I have absolutely no knowledge (like that's ever stopped me) of antique silver, but I love unraveling unusual mysteries. 

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Egg cup? 

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

What's the diameter across the top?

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I have absolutely no knowledge (like that's ever stopped me) of antique silver, but I love unraveling unusual mysteries.

Possible egg cup.  There are similar art deco ones out there.  But it's very top-heavy and tippy on the three legs.

It's 1.5 inches wide across the top.

Mysteries:  I was amazed at what I found about the maker.  There are websites that tell you all about the stamped hallmarks.  They give the maker, the exact year, the city, and the percentage of silver (sometimes it was 95%, not the standard 92.5%).  Info goes back to the 1700's.  The city where this guy worked was founded in the first century AD, and you can go walk the same streets today.

I wonder what kind of life he had?  Did he have 4-year apprentices?  Did Kentucky try to steal them with promises of one and done riches?  

Aside:  I think more "what is this?" posts would be fine additions to the Animal House. 

Might be a shade small for an egg cup, unless modern eggs are bigger.  Popped an egg out of the fridge, and it's a shade over 1.5, call it 1 5/8".  Saw some woodworking plans for lathe-turning an egg cup and it called for using a 2" block, which yielded a 1.75" inner diameter after turning.

It is a nice looking design.  Kind of like a miniature gothic chalice almost.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Well my Irish buddy has come through for us.  It is very similar to what they call their National hurling championship trophy the Liam McCarthy cup.

Screenshot_20190614-072639.png

So it's the same concept as a shot glass shaped like the Stanley Cup?

Thanks, everyone!

Reading all the answers, it appears the item is for an Irish tot who likes eggs,  absinthe, and the sport of hurling.  xD

Pic below has 3 more items I found while clearing out my house.  No mysteries, but kind of cool.  

1.  A promotional clock for Gargoyle Marine Oils.

2.  A tripod nautical map magnifier.

3.  A uranium cordial glass that glows radioactive under a black light. 

I love these little pieces of history.  If anyone here wants to post their own (please do!), I'll change the thread title to reflect that. 

DSC09728.JPG

5 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Reading all the answers, it appears the item is for an Irish tot who likes eggs,  absinthe, and the sport of hurling.  xD

Substitute whisky for absinthe, and you have a relatively accurate summary of the average Irish childhood.

1 minute ago, rico said:

I will get some things posted up in the next few days.

Suggestions from anyone for the new thread title? 

images-2.png?resize=225,225&ssl=1

16 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Substitute whisky for absinthe, and you have a relatively accurate summary of the average Irish childhood.

Ha! "Drunk Irish baby" is a meme.

Archived