AJ Hoggard (2020)

Just going off a few YouTube videos I watched, he reminded me of Deron Williams...You know...that OTHER guard from The Colony 😁

Good form and quick release on the outside shot and able to adjust his shot in the air while driving. 

Seeing his form, I think the 31% can easily be improved upon.

Kid is not real fast or lightening quick but he has a strong solid base...real smooth with the ball and can get where he wants on the court. Doesn’t looked rushed he looks very polished and solid kid. Would like to see that shooting go up but if we surround him with shooters he can definitely handle bigger point guards.

This is a recruitment I like.  PG with good size and strong leadership skills.  Also like the fact he would be a multi-year player. 

Two things to question. Number one is why are we getting in this late?  MSU, Louisville, and Maryland have already offered.

Secondly, and I know we need someone to help Rob with PG duties after Devonte graduates, but signing a solid PG like this for 2020 could have an impact on Lander for 2021.  Lander has to be convinced he is a priority regardless of who else is on the roster.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

This is a recruitment I like.  PG with good size and strong leadership skills.  Also like the fact he would be a multi-year player. 

Two things to question. Number one is why are we getting in this late?  MSU, Louisville, and Maryland have already offered.

Secondly, and I know we need someone to help Rob with PG duties after Devonte graduates, but signing a solid PG like this for 2020 could have an impact on Lander for 2021.  Lander has to be convinced he is a priority regardless of who else is on the roster.

IMO this isn't a guy that Lander will see as a threat.  Caleb Love?  Maybe, although I think those two could play together and form a Final Four caliber backcourt one day. 

But as the No .1 PG in the country, Lander won't see many as a threat.

4 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

IMO this isn't a guy that Lander will see as a threat.  Caleb Love?  Maybe, although I think those two could play together and form a Final Four caliber backcourt one day. 

But as the No .1 PG in the country, Lander won't see many as a threat.

Yeah.  But if say either Kansas or UK has no PG on the roster for 2021 and we have a Sr. In Phinisee and a returning sophomore that played quality minutes as a freshman, that's advantage Kansas or UK.

I really like the looks of this kid.  Just would not want it to negatively impact Lander.  

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah.  But if say either Kansas or UK has no PG on the roster for 2021 and we have a Sr. In Phinisee and a returning sophomore that played quality minutes as a freshman, that's advantage Kansas or UK.

I really like the looks of this kid.  Just would not want it to negatively impact Lander.  

You make a fair point, but I think that dynamic is always going to be there both for IU and for UK's of the world that flip their roster every year.

I think IU has to get a 2020 PG unless they think Durham or Franklin can be a primary ball handler.  If we go into the 2020 season with just Phinisee and he gets hurt -- then what?

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't see this as a concern at all. I look at some of these other schools that are competing year-in and year-out in the national picture and they're constantly signing multiple high 4* and 5* players and there never seems to be a concern from the players about someone in the class before them. Heck, UNC just signed like 5 4* guards in 3 day period in April, all for the 2019 class. UK has like 6 5*'s that all play roughly the same position in the same class. 

Kansas is already projected a top 3 team in the country and they just yesterday added one of the 4* decommits from Michigan and he's projected to come off the bench. But, we're always concerned that a 5* stud isn't going to want to play for IU because we have another guard already on the roster.  

On 6/13/2019 at 2:15 PM, BGleas said:

I don't see this as a concern at all. I look at some of these other schools that are competing year-in and year-out in the national picture and they're constantly signing multiple high 4* and 5* players and there never seems to be a concern from the players about someone in the class before them. Heck, UNC just signed like 5 4* guards in 3 day period in April, all for the 2019 class. UK has like 6 5*'s that all play roughly the same position in the same class. 

Kansas is already projected a top 3 team in the country and they just yesterday added one of the 4* decommits from Michigan and he's projected to come off the bench. But, we're always concerned that a 5* stud isn't going to want to play for IU because we have another guard already on the roster.  

Agreed! Sell the program! Let’s go Archie!

Archived