Jalen Washington (2022) Commits to North Carolina

I’ve been sort of waiting for him to say something more positive about IU than generic pleasantries.  Who knows, maybe he just wants to play it close to the vest.  Supposedly he has a good relationship with Fife from MSU’s recruitment of him.  We will see but I won’t be surprised if he goes out of state.  It’s so odd how IU has trouble getting traction in the region.  Maybe the coaches up there are not pro-IU but it is strangely difficult for IU up there.  

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’ve been sort of waiting for him to say something more positive about IU than generic pleasantries.  Who knows, maybe he just wants to play it close to the vest.  Supposedly he has a good relationship with Fife from MSU’s recruitment of him.  We will see but I won’t be surprised if he goes out of state.  It’s so odd how IU has trouble getting traction in the region.  Maybe the coaches up there are not pro-IU but it is strangely difficult for IU up there.  

Is it that much different than Purdue not getting much traction in southern Indiana (Kaufman being the outlier)? It’s tough for IU in the region when you have Purdue and then even UM/MSU/UI not that far away. In southern Indiana, you’ve got UL/UK. It’s tough no doubt. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Is it that much different than Purdue not getting much traction in southern Indiana (Kaufman being the outlier)? It’s tough for IU in the region when you have Purdue and then even UM/MSU/UI not that far away. In southern Indiana, you’ve got UL/UK. It’s tough no doubt. 

We don’t speak of that name ‘round here 

• Haha 2

Let Woodson set his foundation and you'll be surprised.  Fife didn't have issues getting recruits up north to leave for Sparty.  Fife won't have issues getting kids up north to leave and come down south.  Add in Woody and that'll be icing on the cake.  We may miss Washington, however, I bet we won't miss many more big fish from the north in the foreseeable future. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I think these guys will struggle for a bit without ol'Roy.

I don't know...I think Hubert Davis may surprise some people...UNC usually knows what they're doing in a coaching search, if you overlook Doherty 😁

I think he was a much better hire than Jon Scheyer...

And I still think Jalen Washington should be our #1 priority for 22...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...I think Hubert Davis may surprise some people...UNC usually knows what they're doing in a coaching search, if you overlook Doherty 😁

I think he was a much better hire than Jon Scheyer...

And I still think Jalen Washington should be our #1 priority for 22...

Yes, I also think Hubert Davis will do well but he also lost out on Taylor today. Lots of UNC fans thought Taylor was coming.  The same people are also convinced they are going to land Washington. Let's hope they are wrong about that too. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosier Diamond Hands said:

Yes, I also think Hubert Davis will do well but he also lost out on Taylor today. Lots of UNC fans thought Taylor was coming.  The same people are also convinced they are going to land Washington. Let's hope they are wrong about that too. 

Rather have Banks.

1 hour ago, Hoosier Diamond Hands said:

Their fans are probably as overwrought as ours are when it comes to recruiting...every loss a tragedy...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

.UNC usually knows what they're doing in a coaching search, if you overlook Doherty

I don't know if this is actually true, you can't overlook Doherty and say this. They had Smith and Doherty and Guthridge then Williams. It's not like it is a long list especially when you don't overlook one of them.

11 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

I don't know if this is actually true, you can't overlook Doherty and say this. They had Smith and Doherty and Guthridge then Williams. It's not like it is a long list especially when you don't overlook one of them.

Compared to us, they've been a rousing success...

Guthridge 2 FFs in 3 seasons 

Doherty won 27 games his first year, but year 2 won 8 and 19 in his last year. They realized their mistake and brought in a guy who got them back to prominence and won 3 NCs. 

As Meatloaf said, 2 out of 3 ain't bad...

And we'd have damn sure taken it...

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Compared to us, they've been a rousing success...

Guthridge 2 FFs in 3 seasons 

Doherty won 27 games his first year, but year 2 won 8 and 19 in his last year. They realized their mistake and brought in a guy who got them back to prominence and won 3 NCs. 

As Meatloaf said, 2 out of 3 ain't bad...

And we'd have damn sure taken it...

It is still a pretty small sample size. And if we are going to use FFs Mike Davis got us to one, and even though Crean needed to go he did win some B1G championships. 

So I guess we can turn it around and say take Williams out of the mix and theirs isn't much better then the Hoosiers. Them getting Williams wasn't some brilliant strategy.

Edited by Hoosier51

6 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

It is still a pretty small sample size. And if we going to use FFs Mike Davis got us to one, and even though Crean needed to go he did win some B1G championships. 

So I guess we can turn it around and say take Williams out of the mix and theirs isn't much better then the Hoosiers.

So you say we can't overlook Doherty but can "take Williams out of the mix" when making the assessment?

If that isn't tipping the scales I don't know what is...

Since Dean Smith retired, they've had 3 coaches, won Lord knows how many conference championships, been to 7 Final 4s, and won 3 NCs...They got the "right guy" twice...the last one was long term.

Since RMK was let go IU has also had 3 coaches... 1 Final 4, 2 conference championships...

We're hoping Coach Woody is the "right guy" after 3 swings and misses...