Jalen Washington (2022) Commits to North Carolina

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So you say we can't overlook Doherty but can "take Williams out of the mix" when making the assessment?

If that isn't tipping the scales I don't know what is...

Since Dean Smith retired, they've had 3 coaches, won Lord knows how many conference championships, been to 7 Final 4s, and won 3 NCs...They got the "right guy" twice...the last one was long term.

Since RMK was let go IU has also had 3 coaches... 1 Final 4, 2 conference championships...

We're hoping Coach Woody is the "right guy" after 3 swings and misses...

I was using taking Williams out just like you were taking Doherty out, just following your lead on that.

Yes Williams was the right coach for them just like we hope Coach Woodson is for IU. But lets not act like Guthrie and Doherty were some great coaches and that UNC is the gold standard for always hiring the right coach. Also the only reason they got Williams is because he is one of them. 

And for me personally I think the Davis hire was pretty underwhelming.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

We're hoping Coach Woody is the "right guy" after 3 swings and misses...

IU's hires were not all swings and misses

• Davis was a called strike right down the middle and he was injured slapping himself on the head.  As he lay prone on the ground, the catcher hovered over him and said 'Help is on the way'.  
  • Enter Sampson,  After taking 3 pitches outside the zone to run the count to 3-1, Kelvin got ejected  by the umpire due to a rules interpretation by arguing strike 2.  
  • Dakich was announced as the pinch hitter for Sampson only to be removed when there was a pitching change
  • Crean fouled off 9 straight pitches,  Many of them were dribblers around the plate, but a few were ripped down the line,  One, in particular, appeared to be a sure home run, but it fell in the 'zone' just outside the foul pole.  
  • With the count 3-2, and Crean worn out and beat down from all his efforts, Archie was called off the bench to save the day.  He responded with one of those huge swings that misses by a foot where the batter falls down on the follow through.   
Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Hoosier Diamond Hands said:

Purdue is the team to beat here in my opinion. From just message board surfing most Boiler fans seem to think they are going to land Washington. And what a win for Painter if he bests North Carolina in a head to head recruiting battle. 

UNC was 4-deep to see him yesterday but idk if he’ll go that far from home tbh. I like our chances. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosier Diamond Hands said:

Purdue is the team to beat here in my opinion. From just message board surfing most Boiler fans seem to think they are going to land Washington.

While Turdue might be the favorite I wouldn't put to much stock into what message board fans think about recruits and what team they are going to. I've noticed that most of us are clueless when it comes to recruits.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

While Turdue might be the favorite I wouldn't put to much stock into what message board fans think about recruits and what team they are going to. I've noticed that most of us are clueless when it comes to recruits.

Sometimes there is a wisdom of the crowd effect. As when Justin Taylor announced his commit date every Syracuse message board and social media account said it was over. Some people on those Cuse sites knew something. You can see StlBoilers response. Lots of Purdue fans have heard Washington will pick Purdue. Theres going to be some real shocked and sad Boilers if he goes to North Carolina or Stanford. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier Diamond Hands said:

Sometimes there is a wisdom of the crowd effect. As when Justin Taylor announced his commit date every Syracuse message board and social media account said it was over. Some people on those Cuse sites knew something. You can see StlBoilers response. Lots of Purdue fans have heard Washington will pick Purdue. Theres going to be some real shocked and sad Boilers if he goes to North Carolina or Stanford. 

The IU message boards were convinced Trey Kaufman was going to commit to IU until the video leaked. Before that Purdue wasn't even seen as a real threat to land him if it wasn't IU. We all know how that turned out.

Sometimes message boards are right, sometimes they're wrong. Probably wrong more often than not. In their favor this time is that Purdue is close to home so they do have a good chance.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

I was using taking Williams out just like you were taking Doherty out, just following your lead on that.

Yes Williams was the right coach for them just like we hope Coach Woodson is for IU. But lets not act like Guthrie and Doherty were some great coaches and that UNC is the gold standard for always hiring the right coach. Also the only reason they got Williams is because he is one of them. 

And for me personally I think the Davis hire was pretty underwhelming.

So this is like Olympic gymnastics? Remove the high and the low score?

I don't think I said or even inferred UNC was the "gold standard" for choosing coaches...I said they're usually pretty good, and they are. The one bad choice they made they cut their losses pretty quickly.

You seem to want to dismiss Guthridge. Don't know why. His record speaks for itself...

Edited by IUFLA

39 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

The IU message boards were convinced Trey Kaufman was going to commit to IU until the video leaked. Before that Purdue wasn't even seen as a real threat to land him if it wasn't IU. We all know how that turned out.

Sometimes message boards are right, sometimes they're wrong. Probably wrong more often than not. In their favor this time is that Purdue is close to home so they do have a good chance.

That was an interesting recruitment to follow. I remember Rabby/Peegs really liked IU’s chances while our insider also said Purdue was a threat and even a week or two from his announcement said he thought it would go Purdue’s way. The joys of covering high school recruiting lol. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

44 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Pretty sure mentioning Kaufman was banned in the terms and conditions when I signed up for this site :) It will be interesting if the close to home thing is a factor because Michigan State isn't much further than West Lafayette. Purdue needs to get Washington's commit next week and have him cancel all other visits. The Spartans are going to negitively recruit heavily here as Izzo has sent several recent players at Washington's position to the NBA and the last time they lost a PF to Purdue it was Swanigan.

1 hour ago, Hoosier Diamond Hands said:

Oh I imagine boards get lucky occasionally. Like has been mentioned in this thread, Kaufman is a perfect example. If crowd effect actually had any wisdom he would be a Hoosier right now. There are probably countless other players that boards thought were for sure going to their school only to be shocked that they didn't.

Edited by Hoosier51

23 hours ago, Hoosier Diamond Hands said:

Yes, I also think Hubert Davis will do well but he also lost out on Taylor today. Lots of UNC fans thought Taylor was coming.  The same people are also convinced they are going to land Washington. Let's hope they are wrong about that too. 

For the record, InsideCarolina Premium sources reported that Hubert Davis had cooled on Taylor 2 weeks ago bc Taylor had been underwhelming and shooting poorly this summer (Taylor was a Roy offer, not a Hubert offer.)  This was followed by Hubert Davis offering 2 forwards who have really exploded and played well lately in Cam Whitmore and Tyler Nickel.   So when Taylor got onto social media to hype up his June 26th announcement, everyone on IC Premium was fully aware he would not be coming to UNC.

So if you saw any UNC fans who thought they were getting Taylor, those were likely uninformed free boarders who were talking out their asses.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Can Washington, Kaufman and Furst all play together

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m sure they can. Good problem to have!

3 man rotation of 2 spots.  I don't see a scenario where all three of them would be on the floor at the same time.

The bigger question at that point is what about Edey.  If he's on the roster, he's got to see 20 minutes of playing time.  He's so huge he's a difference maker by just being on the floor.

5 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Going to be an uphill battle here.  IU had 3 coaches on site to watch him (and Xavier Booker) yesterday.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-jalen-washington-speaks-well-of-indiana-but-unc-shows-force/

Turdue fans might think they are the favorites but if this article is any indication UNC sounds like the team to beat.

On 6/26/2021 at 5:39 PM, IUFLA said:

I don't know...I think Hubert Davis may surprise some people...

I think he was a much better hire than Jon Scheyer...

And I still think Jalen Washington should be our #1 priority for 22...

Interesting point on Scheyer.  Not impressed by that hire at all.  Let’s put it this way, I’d be more interested in Fife’s qualifications for us.   Like everything, we will see.  But if all goes as expected, I think Woody authors a revival and the fan base 100% supports Fife as the next guy with no thought of a certain NBA GM.  

• Like 1