Jalen Washington (2022) Commits to North Carolina

12 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Interesting point on Scheyer.  Not impressed by that hire at all.  Let’s put it this way, I’d be more interested in Fife’s qualifications for us.   Like everything, we will see.  But if all goes as expected, I think Woody authors a revival and the fan base 100% supports Fife as the next guy with no thought of a certain NBA GM.  

Surprised me too, being that Coach K has a ton of former players who are coaching in D1...Amaker, Dawkins, Capel, Collins, Hurley, Wojo...

Not even bringing in Quin Snyder...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Surprised me too, being that Coach K has a ton of former players who are coaching in D1...Amaker, Dawkins, Capel, Collins, Hurley, Wojo...

Most of those guys have failed as head coaches at lesser schools.  Snyder had the extra NCAA baggage on his way out of Mizzou.  Capel got Oklahoma in NCAA hot water before he got fired, and he is 3 seasons into his Pitt tenure without a winning season. 

I think K clearly sees a lot of himself in Scheyer, both being from Chicago.  Also this is the perfect scenario for K's ego.  He gets a year of the press fawning all over him, while Scheyer does all the heavy lifting recruiting.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BeenShermin said:

Most of those guys have failed as head coaches at lesser schools.  Snyder had the extra NCAA baggage on his way out of Mizzou.  Capel got Oklahoma in NCAA hot water before he got fired, and he is 3 seasons into his Pitt tenure without a winning season. 

I think K clearly sees a lot of himself in Scheyer, both being from Chicago.  Also this is the perfect scenario for K's ego.  He gets a year of the press fawning all over him, while Scheyer does all the heavy lifting recruiting.  

Yep...Capel has struggled MIGHTILY at Pitt...TONS of transfers and kids decommitting is the nail in the coffin. He was supposedly the recruiting guru while at Duke too. Goes to show Coach K IS Duke basketball....I don't think they fall off the map altogether...but Duke is about to become an also ran imo. Perinnial top 25 team but not one that will be locking up many 1 seeds in the tournament anymore.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BeenShermin said:

If by "failed" we're talking about not lifting the schools they coached to serious National Championship aspirations, yeah...But all save Chris Collins are over .500 for their career...about the same winning percentage Krzyzewski was when he left Army for Duke (55%)...

Your second point I agree with...And probably true...But did his ego get in the way of what would be best for the basketball program? The landscape of college basketball is much different than it was in 1981...I mean, Hubert Davis at least has a 10 year NBA experience to bolster his resume, and that's getting to be a bigger plus for a coach in today's college game...

On 6/27/2021 at 10:58 AM, 5fouls said:

IU's hires were not all swings and misses

• Davis was a called strike right down the middle and he was injured slapping himself on the head.  As he lay prone on the ground, the catcher hovered over him and said 'Help is on the way'.  
  • Enter Sampson,  After taking 3 pitches outside the zone to run the count to 3-1, Kelvin got ejected  by the umpire due to a rules interpretation by arguing strike 2.  
  • Dakich was announced as the pinch hitter for Sampson only to be removed when there was a pitching change
  • Crean fouled off 9 straight pitches,  Many of them were dribblers around the plate, but a few were ripped down the line,  One, in particular, appeared to be a sure home run, but it fell in the 'zone' just outside the foul pole.  
  • With the count 3-2, and Crean worn out and beat down from all his efforts, Archie was called off the bench to save the day.  He responded with one of those huge swings that misses by a foot where the batter falls down on the follow through.   

Damn you.....I'm sending you the bill for a new keyboard, dry cleaning and a replacement Gatorade.  The "help is on the way" got me.  🤣

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 6:56 AM, IUFLA said:

Quin Snyder ain't leaving Utah to coach in college. 

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I think he wanted out of Indiana. IU was right there after the fife hire.  Don’t think Purdue was as big of a player as their fans thought either.  So that means he will probably commit to PU in the next hour.

I do think having Furst and TKR hurt in this case (Andershock mentioned that specifically). Oh well, he was a luxury recruit anywho. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I think he wanted out of Indiana. IU was right there after the fife hire.  Don’t think Purdue was as big of a player as their fans thought either.  So that means he will probably commit to PU in the next hour.

Yeah...I think the only thing the Fife hire did was eliminate MSU more than anything. I think this kid was headed out of state regardless but again...we sit in a good position if things don't go as planned in Chapel Hill when he gets there that we sit in a good spot.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Quin Snyder ain't leaving Utah to coach in college. 

I'm not sure he would either, hence the "not even bringing in" part of my post, but you never know...

A year ago who would have thought Mike Woodson would leave the pro ranks for IU? And, yes, I understand he was an assistant and not the head guy, but you never know what motivates some people...

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...I think the only thing the Fife hire did was eliminate MSU more than anything. I think this kid was headed out of state regardless but again...we sit in a good position if things don't go as planned in Chapel Hill when he gets there that we sit in a good spot.

This could be the new style of recruiting.   If you know a kid is likely headed out of state,  build a relationship in case of potential future transfer, but don't waste too many resources.  If high level recruits don't get the minutes or usage they desire, they're gone.  Time will tell if it's now more like free agency than old college recruiting. 

• Like 2