Jalen Washington (2022) Commits to North Carolina

43 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I follow twitter like a hawk, you guys have figured that out by now lol if I’m putting too much fluff out there let me know. Just trying to pass along articles for your reading pleasure.

Sounds like we were on him first, sometimes that goes a long way with a kid.  I do not believe Miller should be willing to concede any corner of this state to anyone anymore.  We took Phinissee from Purdue's literal backyard.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2020 at 2:56 PM, Colonialcrester said:

Additional info is what the forum is all about! Thanks for the posts!

Additional info is what this forum is all about. Not that it matters. But, when I was in high school in Gary. There were 8 public high schools. Then reduced to just two. And Gary Roosevelt is being torn down.  Leaving Gary West Side as the only public high school left in Gary.  And though Jalen lost the entire season to an ACL... he remains in the top 20 of 247's rankings for his class.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As you can tell with guys like Leal, Galloway, Kaufman, Geronimo, etc, Archie puts a premium on high character, high academic kids.  Jalen Washington is in that category, has a major that lines up with IU, and has a good early relationship with the program.

Can the Hoosiers pull the first kid out of Gary to Bloomington in 60 years?

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-class-of-2022-in-state-5-star-jalen-washington-on-rehab-recruiting-and-upcoming-season/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

As you can tell with guys like Leal, Galloway, Kaufman, Geronimo, etc, Archie puts a premium on high character, high academic kids.  Jalen Washington is in that category, has a major that lines up with IU, and has a good early relationship with the program.

Can the Hoosiers pull the first kid out of Gary to Bloomington in 60 years?

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-class-of-2022-in-state-5-star-jalen-washington-on-rehab-recruiting-and-upcoming-season/

Thanks for the update Mike.  Really appreciate it. 

This has nothing to do with Jalen. However, Gary West, where he attends school was brand new.  And one of my roommates at IU, applied for a teaching job there, though his degree was not in education,  and was accepted, in order to avoid being drafted during the Viet Nam War. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Nobody really knows but Izzo has a track record with kids at his position and skill set. Especially coming out of Northwest Indiana. I mean Gary might as well not even be from Indiana. To me this is as much an out of state recruit as Aminu.

Indeed. I'm not very excited about this guy because I don't think he'll end up at IU. But Purdue did just land a player from southern Indiana so who knows?

2 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Negative energy ... it’s the worst 

I don’t think it’s negative to expect to lose out on this recruit. It’s a very long shot. Like I said it might as well be an out of state recruit. It’s one thing for us to be all in and excited on Trey Kaufman who was in our backyard but it’s another for a kid from Gary. I mean I’m sure Rico will tell us how long it’s been since we landed one of those kids. If we temper expectations early maybe we don’t have to see the hysterics like we did over Kaufman. If we get him we will all be over the moon because it would be a huge get!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think it’s negative to expect to lose out on this recruit. It’s a very long shot. Like I said it might as well be an out of state recruit. It’s one thing for us to be all in and excited on Trey Kaufman who was in our backyard but it’s another for a kid from Gary. I mean I’m sure Rico will tell us how long it’s been since we landed one of those kids. If we temper expectations early maybe we don’t have to see the hysterics like we did over Kaufman. If we get him we will all be over the moon because it would be a huge get!

You’re not one of those “that’s the way we’ve always done it” guys are you? By your logic, Purdue should never expect to get Kaufman, Archie should never expect to get Phinisee. Coach said from the beginning his plan was to lock the borders. He’s a guy who does what he says and says what he means and the track record right now is pretty dam good. I’m definitely willing to give him a shot at it and not write off an in state 5 star recruit like some.

Edit: I’m not seeing the hysterics over Kaufman either. We didn’t get a top 50 guy. Life goes on

Edited by CrimsonV
  • Like 1