Jalen Washington (2022) Commits to North Carolina

13 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

You’re not one of those “that’s the way we’ve always done it” guys are you? By your logic, Purdue should never expect to get Kaufman, Archie should never expect to get Phinisee. Coach said from the beginning his plan was to lock the borders. He’s a guy who does what he says and says what he means and the track record right now is pretty dam good. I’m definitely willing to give him a shot at it and not write off an in state 5 star recruit like some.

Edit: I’m not seeing the hysterics over Kaufman either. We didn’t get a top 50 guy. Life goes on

Of course Archie will give it a shot. I don’t get what you are saying because it makes no sense. Are you saying We think Archie shouldn’t recruit kids from say North Carolina or California...because no one has even hinted at that? Just saying we are cool on this recruit because of the percentages. We aren’t getting our hope up to high. Gary might as well be Lansing Michigan. I’m not going to worry about it too much because it’s a long shot. Like Caleb Love or Garcia etc. If we get him that would be awesome and quite an accomplishment but just because people are skeptical of landing a kid doesn’t mean we don’t want to go after him. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Of course Archie will give it a shot. I don’t get what you are saying because it makes no sense. Are you saying We think Archie shouldn’t recruit kids from say North Carolina or California...because no one has even hinted at that? Just saying we are cool on this recruit because of the percentages. We aren’t getting our hope up to high. Gary might as well be Lansing Michigan. I’m not going to worry about it too much because it’s a long shot. Like Caleb Love or Garcia etc. If we get him that would be awesome and quite an accomplishment but just because people are skeptical of landing a kid doesn’t mean we don’t want to go after him. 

Let me try to explain it so you can understand ...

Archie landed Anderson and Phinisee from two spots recruits rarely are pulled within 4 months on the job. Add in Langford and Lander - he's proven he's got the recruiting chops esp for 5 stars. The "percentages"  don't carry the weight they once did. He's shown that right out of the gate. 

My original response was to Hoosier Jax who said we should not recruit Washington.

If you expect to fail, you're going to fail. 

Does that make sense?

Edited by CrimsonV

30 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Archie landed Anderson and Phinisee from two spots recruits rarely are pulled within 4 months on the job. Add in Langford and Lander - he's proven he's got the recruiting chops esp for 5 stars. The "percentages"  don't carry the weight they once did. He's shown that right out of the gate. 

My original response was to Hoosier Jax who said we should not recruit Washington.

Does that make sense?

I never said we should not recruit him...i just gave my opinion on what schools.

2 hours ago, CrimsonV said:

Does that make sense?

Ok....for sure I want to go after them. I want Archie recruiting him. I don’t want him to not have a back up plan but I want in on him.

Now Do you understand that you or I make ZERO difference in this recruitment. Whether we think we can get him or not will not change a thing? I expect us to fail...and that won’t be the reason if we do. I expected us to get Trey and we failed. What we are saying is don’t get your hopes up on this one...while it can happen this is not a Bloomington South where we got Leal...or Indy where we got Trayce. This is Gary. It will be a monumental win...but betting odds would be very very long on it. So before we get people all worked up and turn this into a 200 page thread...let’s lower expectations. I might give Archie a hard time for losing a kid in our backyard that we went hard for...I’m not going to sweat him one bit losing out on this kid and hope people don’t either. Realistic expectations are just fine. Archie may shock us all but I won’t lose sleep if he can’t land the kid. That’s all.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ok....for sure I want to go after them. I want Archie recruiting him. I don’t want him to not have a back up plan but I want in on him.

Now Do you understand that you or I make ZERO difference in this recruitment. Whether we think we can get him or not will not change a thing? I expect us to fail...and that won’t be the reason if we do. I expected us to get Trey and we failed. What we are saying is don’t get your hopes up on this one...while it can happen this is not a Bloomington South where we got Leal...or Indy where we got Trayce. This is Gary. It will be a monumental win...but betting odds would be very very long on it. So before we get people all worked up and turn this into a 200 page thread...let’s lower expectations. I might give Archie a hard time for losing a kid in our backyard that we went hard for...I’m not going to sweat him one bit losing out on this kid and hope people don’t either. Realistic expectations are just fine. Archie may shock us all but I won’t lose sleep if he can’t land the kid. That’s all.

My initial response wasn’t to you. It’s to the guy who doesn’t give us a shot and says he’s going to Purdue or Mich St definitively and the kid isn’t making a decision for another year. Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrimsonV said:

My initial response wasn’t to you. It’s to the guy who doesn’t give us a shot and says he’s going to Purdue or Mich St definitively and the kid isn’t making a decision for another year. Lol

Sorry. I think he is a perfect MSU recruit. He fits exactly what they have a huge track record of putting into the NBA. I still hope we shock people and land him. I do have concerns because hasn’t he had both his freshman and sophomore years ended by injuries??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hopefully the kid will want Trayces minutes and plays. Obviously Kaufman didn’t want to play that position for us. Long shot but boy would I like to get one back from Northern Indiana now.

Honest question....kid has had some tough injuries yet he is still so highly ranked. Is he the real deal?

That is what I was wondering how he can be ranked this high from missing so much time. With not being much sumer ball this year I just don't know how they can really accuratly rate him.  I guess just like the NBA draft it is on potentional and athletic ability.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 4:55 PM, dgambill said:

Yeah he strikes me as a Michigan St player. Izzo has had a ton of success putting guys like him in the nba. Very Jaren Jackson Jr like to me.

Can we stop effing recruiting for every other school?  I am beyond sick or reading why player X is a great fit for (insert any school but IU).

I don't mean to pick on you as you are far from the only forum member to do this.  It's not our duty to pump up competing programs but it seems that a subset of our members here feel a need to appear to be "fair" to other programs and in the process, promote the competition.  I see no reason to say nice things about Sexual Assault U or Cow College and I don't expect them to say nice things about IU (for the most part they don't).  I don't see SAU having any more success than IU in putting players in the NBA.  Cow College, much less success with Carson Edwards well on the way to playing himself out of the league.

At the same time, another subset of members here see the need to be ridiculously negative about IU.  It seems to me there are better forums to bash IU and promote other programs, no?

Damn it, let's get behind this program.  IU has had year over year over year win/loss success and this season appears to be no different, with the exception of the possibility that IU plays far fewer non-conference games and will likely have a tougher and shorter schedule as a result.  I still expect visible progress, although unfortunately, I also expect some of IU's fans to seek out the negative and bitch about it on this forum.

Me?  I'm still enjoying IU's 2-0 football conference start. It must be miserable to be some of you.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2020 at 9:20 PM, FKIM01 said:

Can we stop effing recruiting for every other school?  I am beyond sick or reading why player X is a great fit for (insert any school but IU).

I don't mean to pick on you as you are far from the only forum member to do this.  It's not our duty to pump up competing programs but it seems that a subset of our members here feel a need to appear to be "fair" to other programs and in the process, promote the competition.  I see no reason to say nice things about Sexual Assault U or Cow College and I don't expect them to say nice things about IU (for the most part they don't).  I don't see SAU having any more success than IU in putting players in the NBA.  Cow College, much less success with Carson Edwards well on the way to playing himself out of the league.

At the same time, another subset of members here see the need to be ridiculously negative about IU.  It seems to me there are better forums to bash IU and promote other programs, no?

Damn it, let's get behind this program.  IU has had year over year over year win/loss success and this season appears to be no different, with the exception of the possibility that IU plays far fewer non-conference games and will likely have a tougher and shorter schedule as a result.  I still expect visible progress, although unfortunately, I also expect some of IU's fans to seek out the negative and bitch about it on this forum.

Me?  I'm still enjoying IU's 2-0 football conference start. It must be miserable to be some of you.

Opinions are no longer allowed on this board unless they are positive for IU?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BDB said:

Opinions are no longer allowed on this board unless they are positive for IU?

Opinions that IU is a terrible destination for a recruit the staff wants and that other schools are a better fit...in a recruit's thread?

Absolutely not.  Get that 💩 out of here.

• Like 1