Jalen Washington (2022) Commits to North Carolina

• 1 month later...

From what I saw of him on streams, he has a very nice outside shot with a nice touch.  Let’s not forget, he is literally IN STATE.  

Purdue just brought in Edey, Kaufman, and Furst at the 4 and 5 positions.  That’s alot of mouths to feed.  

I may be wrong but my recollection is that MSU similarly has commits from very highly ranked 4’s and 5’s coming.  

Meanwhile IU has a center recruit and plenty of wings. But IU can sell him on being featured in our offense at the four spot.  I’m not saying anything is happening but that would be my pitch.  We have the biggest opportunity and it is in state if he has home state pride.  What his relationship is with Archie, I have no idea.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

I know this article is from this summer, but...

"If sports could be taking place this summer, Casey would be playing with Meanstreets in the Nike EYBL in Chicago. One of his teammates on Meanstreets is Jalen Washington, another five-star prospect who has an offer from Indiana.

“It’s good playing with him. We have great chemistry that we built off the court and on the court as well,” Casey said on playing with Washington. “We talk to each other a lot. He’s a great teammate, great person, we have a great bond. I love playing with him.”

Would that be a nice haul or what?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

The hope is for Casey and Washington to train this summer with a guy in the suburbs who now, mainly, trains a few guys in the NBA and at least 5-6 guys that play major, major conference basketball. He also trains a small slew of kids who play/ plan to play in Europe. 

Myself and said trainer have tried to get Casey and Washington to join this group of guys. Not a short hike from where Washington lives. Same, to a degree, for Casey. 

But, just thought I'd mention that because it's always easier to get a feel for the talent of certain guys in more private settings. This past summer we had Blake Wesley come by. Many other guys that many of you know. 

As for Indiana and Washington...

- The earlier knee injury has kept him off-the-radar a bit with some of the more higher-profile "names" in college basketball. Not too many seem as eager to jump in on a kid who has already had an ACL and they don't have a ton of film on. Of course, a big AAU season could change that. He's been getting better and better and better throughout his HS season. 

- I think he projects to be a perfect stretch-4 type. I think he's a pretty good shooter. He isn't a knockdown, 40% long-range bomber. But, he is really quite good at it especially when you consider his size. 

- Because of the knee he'll constantly need to show he can play defense away from the basket. I don't view it as a long-term problem. I think he can be groomed into a pretty big-time defender. 

- Recruiting-wise I think Stanford looms as an interesting dark horse at current writing. But, I'd handicap it that he'll probably end up with one of the three Big Ten schools who are really going to be on him. IU, PU, MSU. 

I wanted to chime in because Milehi had asked months ago to reconsider posting on the board. It's not something I've totally cared to do (especially elsewhere) but... anyway. 

Thanks as always, Sam. We appreciate your insight.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sure would be a nice change for once that Purdue and MSU are actually full and we get a 5 star stretch 4 because we have immediate minutes to go along with everything else IU offers.

My hope is IU doesn’t land a guy from Gary lol. I’m guessing Purdue’s going to come at from multiple angles. Assuming they land their 3rd commitment fairly soon (have been recent Purdue crystal ball picks which sounds promising) I’m guessing they’ll possibly put the full-court press on him for that last scholarship. 

24 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

My hope is IU doesn’t land a guy from Gary lol. I’m guessing Purdue’s going to come at from multiple angles. Assuming they land their 3rd commitment fairly soon (have been recent Purdue crystal ball picks which sounds promising) I’m guessing they’ll possibly put the full-court press on him for that last scholarship. 

Image result for purdue basketball fail gif

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, CoachSS said:

The hope is for Casey and Washington to train this summer with a guy in the suburbs who now, mainly, trains a few guys in the NBA and at least 5-6 guys that play major, major conference basketball. He also trains a small slew of kids who play/ plan to play in Europe. 

Myself and said trainer have tried to get Casey and Washington to join this group of guys. Not a short hike from where Washington lives. Same, to a degree, for Casey. 

But, just thought I'd mention that because it's always easier to get a feel for the talent of certain guys in more private settings. This past summer we had Blake Wesley come by. Many other guys that many of you know. 

As for Indiana and Washington...

- The earlier knee injury has kept him off-the-radar a bit with some of the more higher-profile "names" in college basketball. Not too many seem as eager to jump in on a kid who has already had an ACL and they don't have a ton of film on. Of course, a big AAU season could change that. He's been getting better and better and better throughout his HS season. 

- I think he projects to be a perfect stretch-4 type. I think he's a pretty good shooter. He isn't a knockdown, 40% long-range bomber. But, he is really quite good at it especially when you consider his size. 

- Because of the knee he'll constantly need to show he can play defense away from the basket. I don't view it as a long-term problem. I think he can be groomed into a pretty big-time defender. 

- Recruiting-wise I think Stanford looms as an interesting dark horse at current writing. But, I'd handicap it that he'll probably end up with one of the three Big Ten schools who are really going to be on him. IU, PU, MSU. 

I wanted to chime in because Milehi had asked months ago to reconsider posting on the board. It's not something I've totally cared to do (especially elsewhere) but... anyway. 

I wouldn’t rule out Michigan either. 

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, it was AJ Casey...

That's the one. If TJD comes back he could get the instant playing time so many want. Just glad he left Simeon. We don't have a chance with kids from there for a variety of reasons....of course who knows now. Woodson run deep in some of these circles from what I keep reading. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Wind has to be blowing a little stronger to the south now with Fife on board.

Plus he fits Woody’s systems and our needs perfectly.  Purdue is overloaded at his position and MSU is more known for fights in their huddle than anything else these days.  Tension within a team can be normal, but they are in a rowboat falling off a waterfall in that regard.  They’ve gone over the edge into dysfunction land.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Plus he fits Woody’s systems and our needs perfectly.  Purdue is overloaded at his position and MSU is more known for fights in their huddle than anything else these days.  Tension within a team can be normal, but they are in a rowboat falling off a waterfall in that regard.  They’ve gone over the edge into dysfunction land.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens. I like our chances a lot.