Jalen Washington (2022) Commits to North Carolina

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Even though TJD and Washington aren’t similar players? 

Sure, it speaks well for the staff's development if they can get TJD to use his right hand and extend his shooting range. Especially if they turn him into a 1st round draft choice instead of 2nd round. You think a recruit like Washington wouldn't take that into consideration and think about what the staff could do for him?

• Like 4

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Especially since they aren't similar. They're both 6-9 210-230lbs PFs, ranked 20-30, McD AA (and likely one). When I watch Washington highlights I'm reminded of Anthony Davis in his movements, blocked shots, and outside shot/form. Not saying he's the #1 HS recruit or future #1 pick, but that's what I see/feel.

TJD has been used specifically in the post and CMW has stated he's going to change that and make TJD more NBA ready. If he's successful in expanding TJDs game and makes TJD a lottery pick that would certainly make JW more likely to come here.

You guys likely got TK bc of the way fCAM handled TJD. We could get JW bc of the CMW handles TJD.

• Like 3

I saw a stream of Washington play.  He is very smooth and he is a stretch player.  He has a very good looking shot with range.   For a four out, and one in offense with spacing like Woody wants, you can put a guy like Duncomb inside and then Washington can operate in space and get his shot off.  On defense, Woody wants long, rangy athletes and again Washington can switch and fits ideally here.  

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Especially since they aren't similar. They're both 6-9 210-230lbs PFs, ranked 20-30, McD AA (and likely one). When I watch Washington highlights I'm reminded of Anthony Davis in his movements, blocked shots, and outside shot/form. Not saying he's the #1 HS recruit or future #1 pick, but that's what I see/feel.

TJD has been used specifically in the post and CMW has stated he's going to change that and make TJD more NBA ready. If he's successful in expanding TJDs game and makes TJD a lottery pick that would certainly make JW more likely to come here.

You guys likely got TK bc of the way fCAM handled TJD. We could get JW bc of the CMW handles TJD.

I think you make a lot of good points here. I think the way TJD was handled by CAM didn’t help with TK but thy wasn’t the main reason he picked Purdue over IU IMO. Purdue was just a better fit for him for a multitude of reasons. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hoosier_Hatchet said:

Washington will likely have made a decision, and maybe have even signed (November) before he will ever know what TJD looks like on the court for Coach Woodson.

Trayce's off-season development and usage in 21-22 will likely influence 2023 prospects and beyond.

What makes you think he'll decide early? 7 of the top 20 in 2021 haven't decided or decided after the season started. I think this number only goes up for 2022 and beyond due to COVID limitations and transfer rule changes. 

Also of note from a TDH interview awhile back:

TDH:  What factors are important to you as you start to think more about choosing a college and playing at the next level?

Washington:  How I as a player fit into their system, what type of playing style that team has, how they will help me with my skill development, getting stronger, the environment and social life, academics is definitely huge in terms of how they support my major and help me prepare for the future.

(Note:  Washington indicated that he plans to major in business and administration.)

If he's considering IU, he will want to wait to see CMW's playing style, his fit in the IU's system, player development (TJD especially IMO, but all will be looked at), official visit during "non-COVID" to assess enviroment and social life, visit Kelley and check out the B&A program (other options). If he's not considering IU and has checked all those boxes at other schools, then he obviously doesn't need to wait (as much/long).

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-class-of-2022-in-state-5-star-jalen-washington-on-rehab-recruiting-and-upcoming-season/

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think you make a lot of good points here. I think the way TJD was handled by CAM didn’t help with TK but thy wasn’t the main reason he picked Purdue over IU IMO. Purdue was just a better fit for him for a multitude of reasons. 

Yes he comes from a little coumtry school so why not go to college at one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Indykev said:

Yes he comes from a little coumtry school so why not go to college at one.

SC isn't country lol but... I get the joke. 😆 I'm still astonished he believes in Painter to get him to the league. There certainly isn't a "multitude of reasons."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2021 at 9:49 AM, Stlboiler23 said:

Yes,  along the lines of CMW and IU can get you to the NBA.   We develop players, you play in an NBA system, and your HC is a former NBA player and coach for over 35 years.

• Like 3

Dane Fife will definitely help us here... not saying that we land JW, but if there were ever anyone who could sell the vision of restoring this sleeping giant - it’s Fife. He knows what’s in store for him and how important it is for CMW to be successful. I really like the fact that he’s been on JW for so long, and this would make the transition of losing TJD a lot smoother(even though they’re completely different players). Lots to look forward to in the future. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 9:59 AM, cybergates said:

Flip side, how is TJD going to develop an outside shot overnight?  As a shooter myself, I can attest that this craft takes a lifetime to master and not something that you just work on during an offseason and expect to be good.  Vic Dip went from broke to respectable in 3 yrs but it took complete dedication and hard work to accomplish.  I dont know if TJD has even worked on this craft as we have yet to see it during any games to date?  Being left handed makes this transition even harder as his stroke does not appear to be smooth like you would want and it makes me uneasy watching him shoot FT's.  It's not fair to judge CMW on the development of TJD because of this limited ability I speak of and he may only have 1 season to work with before going pro before he is truly ready.  I didn't expect a 3rd yr to be honest but unfortunately w/o an outside shot I am skeptical at the next level.  Be interesting to see what CMW can do with a Big that has an outside game!!!

40 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

Great article by Mike.  The site is getting better and better.  Super content. 

It sounds like Woody is going to take some time to look at Washington’s film and come back with good feedback.  I love that part of Woody.  Grinds through film and knows what he’s talking about to the nth degree.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 8

50 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great article by Mike.  The site is getting better and better.  Super content. 

It sounds like Woody is going to take some time to look at Washington’s film and come back with good feedback.  I love that part of Woody.  Grinds through film and knows what he’s talking about to the nth degree.  

Great commenting by my good friend Bob Saccamanno, whose commenting just keeps getting better and better.

In all seriousness, thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Between2Halls said:

First of all, Mike does a great job... 

Second of all.. I am admittedly always optimistic, but this article sounds really good with the lines of communication being built.  

• Like 3