Jump to content

Durham ready to go in year one.


Recommended Posts

One thing I dislike about all of the recruiting discussion is how everyone is always looking for the next 'great' thing before some of these kids even have a chance to prove themselves.  

Here's hoping Al can meet his own personal goals regardless of what others expect from him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

One thing I dislike about all of the recruiting discussion is how everyone is always looking for the next 'great' thing before some of these kids even have a chance to prove themselves.  

Here's hoping Al can meet his own personal goals regardless of what others expect from him.

Well said Fouls

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you saw Al's King of Bluegrass highlight reel, you can't help but feel good about his chances despite not being really on the radar in many minds.  I remember when another young unheralded player named Anunoby came to Bloomington and I thought to myself, "I just love this kid's attitude."  Anunoby was a quiet assassin and while I had a feeling he might outperform expectations, I can't say I pegged him as a first rounder after a little over a season's play in Bloomington. I saw him more in the mold of Vic as a young man who felt he had something to prove and outperformed expectations as a result.  I liked him as soon as I first read about him.

Here's hoping a lot of people eat their words on Al Durham...count me as a fan.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

If you saw Al's King of Bluegrass highlight reel, you can't help but feel good about his chances despite not being really on the radar in many minds.  I remember when another young unheralded player named Anunoby came to Bloomington and I thought to myself, "I just love this kid's attitude."  Anunoby was a quiet assassin and while I had a feeling he might outperform expectations, I can't say I pegged him as a first rounder after a little over a season's play in Bloomington. I saw him more in the mold of Vic as a young man who felt he had something to prove and outperformed expectations as a result.  I liked him as soon as I first read about him.

Here's hoping a lot of people eat their words on Al Durham...count me as a fan.

We can measure a lot of things. But the one thing that we can't measure is the heart of a Hoosier.  So many have proven that to be the case over the decades.  Only way to measure the heart of a Hoosier..... is to see how they preform on the court.  In Durham's case, we are about to measure his heart.... as a Hoosier. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

If you saw Al's King of Bluegrass highlight reel, you can't help but feel good about his chances despite not being really on the radar in many minds.  I remember when another young unheralded player named Anunoby came to Bloomington and I thought to myself, "I just love this kid's attitude."  Anunoby was a quiet assassin and while I had a feeling he might outperform expectations, I can't say I pegged him as a first rounder after a little over a season's play in Bloomington. I saw him more in the mold of Vic as a young man who felt he had something to prove and outperformed expectations as a result.  I liked him as soon as I first read about him.

Here's hoping a lot of people eat their words on Al Durham...count me as a fan.

I'll go back further and throw the name Calbert Cheaney out there.  Not saying Durham will be Cheaney.  Rather my point is that Cheaney would have been questioned as a recruit if he had been playing in this day and age.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I'll go back further and throw the name Calbert Cheaney out there.  Not saying Durham will be Cheaney.  Rather my point is that Cheaney would have been questioned as a recruit if he had been playing in this day and age.

Cheaney was a top 100, maybe top 50 recruit if I remember.  Cheaney was also injured his senior year at Harrison which dropped him big time.    Al was borderline top 300.  Not really a good comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like his quotes in the article.   I am excited to see him play.   I was not expecting anything from him this year with all of our other guards, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Shout out to Milehiiu for finding and posting these articles.   Much appreciated.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 A thought that sticks in my mind reflecting over watching IUBB over the last 40yrs, is how much I have enjoyed seeing the young men develop and become really solid contributors especially as they become juniors and seniors.  I always thought that IU rarely had the 5 best "athletes" on the court but, especially under RMK's direction, they could compete with anyone and often win.   We compete with mental toughness, grit, determination, and execution. That's why I love reading the articles like Mile noted here on Al.  I would love for him to develop into a great PG and prove "those in the know" wrong.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

FW Hoosier.  Late breaking news to me.  Al D. may not be the only one that has been sitting out, to see action against, Indianapolis.  Word to me is that we may see Collin Hartman as well. 

I heard that as well Mile.  Gonna be great to have the whole team healthy going into the season, and especially great to see Hartman back on the court after more than a year and a half.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...