Asian carp

rico

I doubt most people realize how serious of a problem this is.  Invasive species can destroy an ecosystem and affect local economies.

When it come to fish, some can reproduce so rapidly that it becomes uncontrollable.

A good example is West Boggs Lake down around me.  It was a good lake for panfish and bass. They hosted bass fishing tournaments.  Bass fisherman, whether they used them for bait or whatever, were putting gizzard shad in the lake. Totally destroyed bluegill fishing because gizzard shad out produced and out competed the bluegill for resources. They had to drain the lake and restock a few years ago. 

Used to put out river nets and camp out on sandbars and run trot lines.  Gars got there noses stuck in the sand and used for target practice, carp tossed in the woods.  Didnt have asain carp back then though.  

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I doubt most people realize how serious of a problem this is.  Invasive species can destroy an ecosystem and affect local economies.

When it come to fish, some can reproduce so rapidly that it becomes uncontrollable.

A good example is West Boggs Lake down around me.  It was a good lake for panfish and bass. They hosted bass fishing tournaments.  Bass fisherman, whether they used them for bait or whatever, were putting gizzard shad in the lake. Totally destroyed bluegill fishing because gizzard shad out produced and out competed the bluegill for resources. They had to drain the lake and restock a few years ago. 

Used to put out river nets and camp out on sandbars and run trot lines.  Gars got there noses stuck in the sand and used for target practice, carp tossed in the woods.  Didnt have asain carp back then though.  

If those "sum beaches" get into the Great Lakes we have a problem......a major problem.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

If those "sum beaches" get into the Great Lakes we have a problem......a major problem.

Agreed. Have got to keep them out of the lakes.  This is one thing I dont care how much money is spent to fix it, if they get into the lakes oit will be near impossible to stop. 

44 minutes ago, rico said:

It's all up to the Illini.  Been doing a good job keeping them from entering Lake Michigan from the Illinois river.  But the Asian Carp are getting perilously close to Lake Michigan.

The battle going back to 10 years from now :

Battling the Asian Carp invasion 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

It's all up to the Illini.  Been doing a good job keeping them from entering Lake Michigan from the Illinois river.  But the Asian Carp are getting perilously close to Lake Michigan.

The battle going back to 10 years from now :

Battling the Asian Carp invasion 

I don't need a youtube video.  As a fisherman I am well aware of the problem and have been for quite sometime.  But I will tell you something...this a Indiana thing too.  They are in the Wabash River.  They make their way to Fort Wayne...then they get into the Maumee.  And that takes them to Erie.

8 hours ago, rico said:

I don't need a youtube video.  As a fisherman I am well aware of the problem and have been for quite sometime.  But I will tell you something...this a Indiana thing too.  They are in the Wabash River.  They make their way to Fort Wayne...then they get into the Maumee.  And that takes them to Erie.

I added the video as an instructional video. Obviously, you are very much aware. However, just like you, it was added to inform others of the threat. Additionally, I added a 10 year old video to show this is not something new.  It has been on going for quite a long time now.... and rather than getting better, is only getting worse.

35 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I added the video as an instructional video. Obviously, you are very much aware. However, just like you, it was added to inform others of the threat. Additionally, I added a 10 year old video to show this is not something new.  It has been on going for quite a long time now.... and rather than getting better, is only getting worse.

It is bad...really bad.  If they make their way into our Great Lakes...the best fishery in the world will cease to exist.

Archived