Team Camp Notes

"He might not be big enough to play on the block and finish at the rim in the Big Ten at his current height, and he doesn’t currently have the perimeter game to play away from the basket."

Bit of a surprise quote on Caleb Furst.  For such a highly sought-after recruit, I found it an interesting observation.  Sounds like he's excellent for his age, but there is a question about how exactly he develops between now and college.

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

"He might not be big enough to play on the block and finish at the rim in the Big Ten at his current height, and he doesn’t currently have the perimeter game to play away from the basket."

Bit of a surprise quote on Caleb Furst.  For such a highly sought-after recruit, I found it an interesting observation.  Sounds like he's excellent for his age, but there is a question about how exactly he develops between now and college.

That's my question after watching him a few times, viewed through the lens of him being a high profile recruit.  SInce he's 2021 he has plenty of time to develop but in my mind it is a legitimate question right now.  And no matter what he'll be a valuable addition to a high major roster.  

I know some will hate this comment, but he is someone that would seemingly do well at prep school for a year or two rather than playing in 1A, although I know they do play some decent schools during the regular season.

40 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

That's my question after watching him a few times, viewed through the lens of him being a high profile recruit.  SInce he's 2021 he has plenty of time to develop but in my mind it is a legitimate question right now.  And no matter what he'll be a valuable addition to a high major roster.  

I know some will hate this comment, but he is someone that would seemingly do well at prep school for a year or two rather than playing in 1A, although I know they do play some decent schools during the regular season.

How has he preformed in summer ball against  bigger better competition ?

6 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

How has he preformed in summer ball against  bigger better competition ?

I did some digging and was surprised as I figured he would struggle especially since he's playing 'up'.  He plays AAU on the Indy Heat team on the Nike circuit which is a very strong team and includes Luke Goode, Jaden Ivey, Nijel Pack and Kiryon Powell.   Numbers I found were through 13 games and he's averaging 11.7 ppg on 57% shooting; 5 rpg; 1 assist; 2 TO and 1 steal.  I watched a lot of his last season's high school games and wasn't that overly impressed.  I thought he ran up and down the court really well but I didn't think he showed a lot of lateral quickness and he just didn't dominate the boards as I thought he should given his usual height advantage over lesser competition.  I thought the older Davidson kid on his high school team was a far better overall player.  So again, I'm surprised at his AAU numbers.

53 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Some decent schools?  

I watched him play at EYBL. I can pretty much echo what everyone else is saying. It's not that he isn't good, it's just that he comes off as a finished product. He is tall, but not so tall that he'll give your team an advantage. He is already mature and fairly well trained and filled out. It is part impressive, but also gives the impression that the unknown potential isn't really there. And so the question is, if what you see is what you'll get, is that enough?

As others have noted, he surprised some naysayers this year by producing at EYBL playing up a year. He can play now, and we've got 2 years to see what he can add into his game before college.

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

I watched him play at EYBL. I can pretty much echo what everyone else is saying. It's not that he isn't good, it's just that he comes off as a finished product. He is tall, but not so tall that he'll give your team an advantage. He is already mature and fairly well trained and filled out. It is part impressive, but also gives the impression that the unknown potential isn't really there. And so the question is, if what you see is what you'll get, is that enough?

As others have noted, he surprised some naysayers this year by producing at EYBL playing up a year. He can play now, and we've got 2 years to see what he can add into his game before college.

Agreed.  He is doing fine on the EYBL, especially considering that he playing a year up.  The question is what will he do that will be elite at the high major level to avoid being just another guy?  He's got plenty of time to develop whatever that is.

1 hour ago, IU4Ever said:

I did some digging and was surprised as I figured he would struggle especially since he's playing 'up'.  He plays AAU on the Indy Heat team on the Nike circuit which is a very strong team and includes Luke Goode, Jaden Ivey, Nijel Pack and Kiryon Powell.   Numbers I found were through 13 games and he's averaging 11.7 ppg on 57% shooting; 5 rpg; 1 assist; 2 TO and 1 steal.  I watched a lot of his last season's high school games and wasn't that overly impressed.  I thought he ran up and down the court really well but I didn't think he showed a lot of lateral quickness and he just didn't dominate the boards as I thought he should given his usual height advantage over lesser competition.  I thought the older Davidson kid on his high school team was a far better overall player.  So again, I'm surprised at his AAU numbers.

I’ve wanted IU to recruit the Davidson kid for 2 years! He will be a stud wherever he ended up. Better version of healthy Collin Hartman .

3 hours ago, 5 championships said:

I’ve wanted IU to recruit the Davidson kid for 2 years! He will be a stud wherever he ended up. Better version of healthy Collin Hartman .

He's going to UIndy which doesn't suggest to me he's a better version and that's not intended as a knock against UIndy.  

I think the question is how much more can he improve on his game. I still think a lot! It's about the little things...footwork...feel around the rim...look at Watford....how great his "old man" game became by the end of his time at IU. Furst would get ate up by a guy like that...he still has a lot to learn. He also can work on his face up away from the basket game. Definitely room to improve his jumper all the way out to the 3pt line. To me...he is still as much potential as any young man coming in...lots of room to grow...just because he might be more advanced and bigger than most kids he is playing with in HS I think he still has room to improve significantly. You can't tell me that a kid like him couldn't get to the level of an Ethan Happ if he didn't put in the work...he has the tools and while he is good now he can get so much better. Heck and Happ still has no game away from the basket...but if you can perfect your craft to that level in the post...well he can still be infinitely valuable.

Furst just completed his Sophomore year of high school.  He has plenty of time to work on his game.  Damon Bailey matured early, but despite what Knight was quoted as saying, he could not have played at IU as an 8th grader.  He was still a very good college player (all-american as a senior).

Way too early to start doubting a kid like Furst.

On the subject of schedule though, let's not kid ourselves.  Blackhawk's schedule does not compare to, say, Warren Central's. It is fair to scale back on expectations because of the schedule.  Same could be said of 95 percent of other players, including Lander and Kaufman from the same class.  While they play at bigger schools, they are not playing Indy level competition night in and night out.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

On the subject of schedule though, let's not kid ourselves.  Blackhawk's schedule does not compare to, say, Warren Central's. It is fair to scale back on expectations because of the schedule.  Same could be said of 95 percent of other players, including Lander and Kaufman from the same class.  While they play at bigger schools, they are not playing Indy level competition night in and night out.

FW BHs schedule is actually 15 slots higher than SC and 47 slots lower than Eville Reitz (not all that much when you think that their are 410 schools considered)... I'd also like to see what FW BHs schedule would be ranked before the tourney. I'd bet the tourney brought down their overall schedule ranking. 

Also eff prep schools.. so sick of Montverde, IMG, Huntington Prep, Oak Hill, Findley Prep, La Lu. 

If we were talking football where you only get to schedule 9 games (crap btw).. then maybe I would buy the argument of "1A schedule" whatever... but they play a lot of 3A and 4A schools.. and again played Barr Reeve twice. 

Blackford was 3A this past year: schedule rank 331

FW BH 1A: schedule rank 127 

2 hours ago, IU4Ever said:

He's going to UIndy which doesn't suggest to me he's a better version and that's not intended as a knock against UIndy.  

I’ve watched him play live several times and come away impressed everytime and wondering what colleges are looking for. I’d hand him a scholly. I’m bullish about this kid but who knows.

Archived