Team Camp Notes

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Sheww... hard to say hes a better version of healthy Hartman. 

He is really really good. I don’t know why he didn’t get a bigger offer but I heard his dad went to Illinois and didn’t get to play much so he wanted to make sure his son went to a school that would allow him to play a big role early 

3 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

He is really really good. I don’t know why he didn’t get a bigger offer but I heard his dad went to Illinois and didn’t get to play much so he wanted to make sure his son went to a school that would allow him to play a big role early 

Hartman was the 6th man on an outright big ten title. (Btw I think Davidson is fantastic)

31 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I think Davison could of played the role Hartman played that year. Just my opinion. Better shooter, better passer, more athletic, just not as big and Hartman was better rebounder. 

How do you know? The kid hasnt played a game in college... isnt going D1 and wasnt an IN All Star. I dont think for a second he's any of those things ahead of CH. 

24 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I think that is important..or would be for my kid....you can always transfer "up" if you break out...or grad transfer...lot's of options for kids nowadays who aren't considered OAD.

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How do you know? The kid hasnt played a game in college... isnt going D1 and wasnt an IN All Star. I dont think for a second he's any of those things ahead of CH. 

Coming out of high school he is ahead in those areas. I love Collin Hartman by the way. Hoosier for life but that’s  just my Honest opinion of him and Davidson. I think people are making a big mistake on him. Which happens. Good players get overlooked. It happens all the time. Look at Ja Morant...

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

FW BHs schedule is actually 15 slots higher than SC and 47 slots lower than Eville Reitz (not all that much when you think that their are 410 schools considered)... I'd also like to see what FW BHs schedule would be ranked before the tourney. I'd bet the tourney brought down their overall schedule ranking. 

Also eff prep schools.. so sick of Montverde, IMG, Huntington Prep, Oak Hill, Findley Prep, La Lu. 

I hate the whole prep school thing too, and I hate class basketball.  I am a traditionalist.  But if I'm looking out for the best interest of my son, I'm not having him play the 127th schedule in the state of Indiana, rarely ever see guys his own size with any actual skills, and face no competition at practice.  He doesn't need to rush his development if he doesn't want to, but he just isn't going to get much out of playing there compared to what he would get at a prep school. 

1 minute ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I hate the whole prep school thing too, and I hate class basketball.  I am a traditionalist.  But if I'm looking out for the best interest of my son, I'm not having him play the 127th schedule in the state of Indiana, rarely ever see guys his own size with any actual skills, and face no competition at practice.  He doesn't need to rush his development if he doesn't want to, but he just isn't going to get much out of playing there compared to what he would get at a prep school. 

My point is... basically no one will outside of playing in Indy, then. These kids do play 50 games of AAU a year for a reason and practice against each other in aau, some. 

3 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I get at what your saying...I would want the best opportunity for my kid to grow and become the best they can be. If that is their desire their goal id support them. That said there is a fine line. Taking them away from family and friends they grew up with...taking them away from other sports they may enjoy and the HS environment/experience you only have once in your life. Tough call. If it’s my kid I hire Hakeem Olajuwon to work with him every day lol j/k but you catch my drift I invest as much reasonably possible...but these AAU tourneys give them plenty of exposure to big guys too. I understand both sides of the coin and don’t fault either decision a parent kid makes. Maybe do it his junior year...that way he can come back and graduate with his peers, win a state championship, be Mr, Basketball...utilize that year of prep school to excel in high school!

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

I get at what your saying...I would want the best opportunity for my kid to grow and become the best they can be. If that is their desire their goal id support them. That said there is a fine line. Taking them away from family and friends they grew up with...taking them away from other sports they may enjoy and the HS environment/experience you only have once in your life. Tough call. If it’s my kid I hire Hakeem Olajuwon to work with him every day lol j/k but you catch my drift I invest as much reasonably possible...but these AAU tourneys give them plenty of exposure to big guys too. I understand both sides of the coin and don’t fault either decision a parent kid makes. Maybe do it his junior year...that way he can come back and graduate with his peers, win a state championship, be Mr, Basketball...utilize that year of prep school to excel in high school!

That's an interesting idea.  Jr year prep, come back to hometown to chase a title and Mr. Basketball.  I like it.  Kinda gives your athletic director a year to scramble and beef up your schedule when you show how serious you are.   

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Another example of how selfish sports have become. So sick of the NBA and ESPN. 16 year olds get to strong arm a HS AD now? It's always about the individual now and NEVER about the team.. it's become disgusting. 

Amen to that

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

Here's the way I look at it.  The kids that DON'T go to prep school are the kids that appreciate the game the way we all do.  They don't have a foot out the door.  They want to be an Indiana All-Star and Mr. Basketball, and they want to win a state title.  That stuff means something to them like it does to most of us.  And those are the kids that we end up getting to watch.  The others guys move on and do their thing and that's fine.  We get to watch the guys that pour the heart and soul into playing for their high schools.  

But it is what is, and being the grouchy get off my lawn guy isn't going to change anything (not suggesting you are).

At the very least, don't be this guy from Fort Wayne that went out swinging -- taking shots at an 18 year old kid and his family because of his prep school decision, before losing his job soon thereafter.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/keion-brooks-jr-is-going-to-la-lumiere-and-the-world-isnt-ending/

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Another example of how selfish sports have become. So sick of the NBA and ESPN. 16 year olds get to strong arm a HS AD now? It's always about the individual now and NEVER about the team.. it's become disgusting. 

Putting together an elite schedule for an elite player is their job.  

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

A lot of high school schedules are done 2-3 years in advance. Sometimes 4 year deals. Some years you’re looking for a game, most you’re not. They also manage every high school sports team’s schedules. 

6 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

A lot of high school schedules are done 2-3 years in advance. Sometimes 4 year deals. Some years you’re looking for a game, most you’re not. They also manage every high school sports team’s schedules. 

I totally understand I've coached Varsity Sports. I do not envy that job at all ever

24 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

No it isn't, the AD's job is to do what is best for the school and they have to look at things like cost of traveling longer distance to play more quality opponents.  They should try to schedule as best as they can but most high schools will schedule teams closer to them so they don't have so much travel cost.

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

An elite player decides their schedule? It absolutely does not. Putting together a schedule that challenges their team and makes their team the best possible version of itself by tourney time is their priority. 

Again.. let's not act like they play a poor schedule, they dont. They play a good schedule... and a great one for a 1A school. 

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

An elite player decides their schedule? It absolutely does not. Putting together a schedule that challenges their team and makes their team the best possible version of itself by tourney time is their priority. 

Again.. let's not act like they play a poor schedule, they dont. They play a good schedule... and a great one for a 1A school. 

I'm not attacking the AD, the kid, or their schedule.  When schools have their ups, they should seek better competition to do exactly what you said, "Putting together a schedule that challenges their team and makes their team the best possible version of itself by tourney time is their priority."  

Fort Wayne Blackhawk has one scheduling advantage, in that they are not in a conference.  Sometimes, being in a conference with weak programs inhibits what a strong small-school team can do as far as scheduling.  

Also, in checking the John Harrell site, Blackhawk's two games that are announced so far are Fort Wayne South and Indianapolis Attucks, both of which will be 4A next season (Attucks was a 3A semistate participant this past year). 

Archived