Is it Devonte Green's team next year?

Potentially lots of leadership.  No mention of Al, who will continue to grow  Davis is going to be a man child unleashed if fully healthy and in shape.  Brunk will play his role as stabilizer, maturity, and hopefully toughness.  Rob may very well be the steady hand floor leader, coach on the court.  There is some hope here.  

Definitely not De'Ron. It's not in his genes. Been watching him since 8th grade. Always "The Man".  But never "his" team. Too much of a team player. Always looking for the open man when getting double and triple teamed.  Can he lead the team ? Yes. Will he take over the team ? No.

Great discussion, thanks all.

If I am Archie, I would want a more emotional leader. Someone that really cares about winning. I think that was the biggest problem two seasons ago. Robert Johnson, despite being a great teammate and role model, was more of the calm and cool type. 

Yogi Ferrell is the best example in recent history that was actively yelling at teammates to be in the right spots. Those are the types of players that catch fire and can literally put a team on their back. Is that Devonte? Not sure, but the Ohio State game showed signs of that.

Rob Phinisee would be a great leader - he does all the right things on the floor and he is more of a cerebral basketball player at this point in his career. But is he also more of the quiet type? It's going to be really fun watching him develop for the Hoosiers.

I don't know whose team this is. I thought if De'Ron can play 25+ minutes and have strong on-court presence, this would be his team. He certainly has quality to look after younger kids and be a good big brother. I know it's different from being a good leader, but at least that can be a good start. In most cases, leaders are made, not born. Joey can be his good running mate. Joey needs at least one year to be fully acclimated to IU program. Personality wise, he may be a good candidate, but it's too much to ask for a transfer student.  

7 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I don't know whose team this is. I thought if De'Ron can play 25+ minutes and have strong on-court presence, this would be his team. He certainly has quality to look after younger kids and be a good big brother. I know it's different from being a good leader, but at least that can be a good start. In most cases, leaders are made, not born. Joey can be his good running mate. Joey needs at least one year to be fully acclimated to IU program. Personality wise, he may be a good candidate, but it's too much to ask for a transfer student.  

I disagree because I think leaders are born and someone can't be made into a leader

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I disagree because I think leaders are born and someone can't be made into a leader

Really good leaders are born; they have the innate quality to lead people. Usually they show the quality at their younger ages. But we're talking about a college program here. A person like De'Ron who has a big heart and may have teammates' best interests at heart, can develop into a leader. Of course, he may have some growing pains and head scratching moments, but that's how most people develop themselves. 

Oh, one thing I like to add is the person must have desire to lead people when the moment is right. 

Cream always rises to the top. I’m looking forward to big contributions from Rob, Trace, Arman & Hunter - if he is cleared to play. 

I’m curious to see if Brunk can contribute in B1G play. The size is there but I know nothing about this kid.

I know we will get max effort from Al and I expect to see his game elevate even more as the offense becomes more fluid.

I predict Davis to have his most efficient season yet since he finally has help/size on the post. Especially if the guys are able to knock down jumpers and keep the opposing defense from clogging the paint. I don’t see Davis as a player that will turn ESPN talking heads, but I do see him as a strong post player with good size and a decent eye that can and has been a difference maker.

As for Green & Smith. I guess we will see. They will have every opportunity to contribute their worth just as they have had in previous seasons. I’m not going for the popular opinion award here but I expect we will see the same inconsistencies from these two.

This entire topic seems to be semi clickbait as I am sure the writer understands that Green has been a polarizing player since he's been at IU. I'm not saying he can't be a leader, but to ask if this is his team is a bit of a stretch at this point. That being said, if he plays under control AND stays on the floor, he has a chance to have a big year. 

I think it's Archie's team, and that's a good thing.  

Dan Dakich is a polarizing figure and I completely understand why, but I do agree with him when he talks about how awkward the team seemed with Romeo.  I think his stardom was a little to much for the team to handle.  I'm not saying anyone necessarily did anything terribly wrong, but the team just seemed to have an awkward feel to it.  Coaches and players probably tried to treat Romeo like anyone else, and despite their efforts, it was probably hard to have a guy like him be "one of the guys". 

Hopefully- things are different this year.  

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

This entire topic seems to be semi clickbait as I am sure the writer understands that Green has been a polarizing player since he's been at IU. I'm not saying he can't be a leader, but to ask if this is his team is a bit of a stretch at this point. That being said, if he plays under control AND stays on the floor, he has a chance to have a big year. 

By virtue of having the most experience on the team, isn't that fair to say it's his turn to be the main guy?

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

63360e4df3fbd0e012750e6d250f8fd5.jpg

Talking about De'Ron.  His new, improved body :

Trimming down perhaps so he can play defense on the packline. 

If we can have him and Brunk or TJD on the court at all times we will be dangerous. Especially if Al and Rob improve their shooting even a bit. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Trimming down perhaps so he can play defense on the packline. 

If we can have him and Brunk or TJD on the court at all times we will be dangerous. Especially if Al and Rob improve their shooting even a bit. 

You just nailed it. 

So much untapped potential on this team.

Always great to hear from you, BC. 

Archived