Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

4 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

You are correct! I didn't realize that Cook, Jefferson, and Plumlee were all still on that team. I thought they mostly had one and dones with Jahil Okafor, Tyus Jones, and Justice Winslow, but not even they were led by one and dones. So when is the last team led by one and dones to win a championship? Kentucky 2012?

UK played a 6 man rotation that year...it consisted of 3 frosh, 2 sophs, and 1 senior.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

"Dodgy"?  That's smearing a lot of lipstick on that giant pig.  North Carolina literally made up fake classes mostly for athletes to get A's.  That's well beyond dodgy.

It’s the standard excuse, “everybody does it.”  You hear it from blind homers of teams, even the most offensive and egregious examples such as the Astros and UNC.  

A much more appropriate response would be to accept it and say something to the effect that we’ve changed. 

After the Sampson debacle, the Indiana fan base took the high road and were ticked off that it happened.  We could put on a seminar for other fan bases.

Beyond that, we could do a whole thread on cheaters across sports.  

5 hours ago, rico said:

UK played a 6 man rotation that year...it consisted of 3 frosh, 2 sophs, and 1 senior.

7 man rotation I believe... 

Davis, Lamb, Gilchrist, Jones, Teague, Miller, Wiltjer. But we’re talking about having maybe the top freshman in the past 20 years. Guy was a much bigger impact than even Zion IMO. Those guys don’t come around often.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:09 AM, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day long. I'm really trying to contain my optimism because of the past 20 years or so....but the Lander commit could and should really open these gates for guys like Mohammed....not to mention all the others we already have locked up. Exciting times!

Lander?  Thought a lottery pick like TJD would open the gates over a Fr who has yet to step foot on campus and actually contribute but whatever sails these kids boats is fine by me!

6 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Lander?  Thought a lottery pick like TJD would open the gates over a Fr who has yet to step foot on campus and actually contribute but whatever sails these kids boats is fine by me!

All of the above. If were giving proper credit we should thank Romeo. 

Good point. And Romeo was first, which is the biggest.  But it looks like Archie is getting NBA first rounders—at different positions no less—when you look at Romeo, Lander, and Trayce at a minimum. That would bode well for future recruiting. 

We all know the importance of momentum.  As Billingsley, Five and others have said, the first is the biggest.  

47 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good point. And Romeo was first, which is the biggest.  But it looks like Archie is getting NBA first rounders—at different positions no less—when you look at Romeo, Lander, and Trayce at a minimum. That would bode well for future recruiting. 

We all know the importance of momentum.  As Billingsley, Five and others have said, the first is the biggest.  

Getting these mentions and being in same sentence as @5fouls I feel like a celebrity 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The real key to the momentum is getting 3-4 of those guys on the team at the same time. You need a team where you have something like Lander, TJD, Mohammad and Kauffman all together, or at least 3of them. That’s when you’re talking a couple Big Ten Titles and legit National Title contention.  

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

The real key to the momentum is getting 3-4 of those guys on the team at the same time. You need a team where you have something like Lander, TJD, Mohammad and Kauffman all together, or at least 3of them. That’s when you’re talking a couple Big Ten Titles and legit National Title contention.  

And preferably with most of them as upper class together.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Problem with that is that these kids are thinking about getting to the NBA as fast as they can.  Unless you recruit 3 or 4 one and done players you won't have all of those players on the same team.

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Problem with that is that these kids are thinking about getting to the NBA as fast as they can.  Unless you recruit 3 or 4 one and done players you won't have all of those players on the same team.

Virginia was able to do it. Villanova has done it. Kansas does it. Michigan State does it. Tom Crean did it a couple times, albeit not consistently enough, at IU. Out of the 4 players I listed Mohammad is potentially the only one and done. 

20 hours ago, BGleas said:

I absolutely agree with this. You can win and compete with balanced classes, but you take the next step getting 1 to 2 blue chippers per class. Not saying you need 5 or 6 every year like Kentucky, but a 5 star or a couple high 4 star players per class is ideal. Not only are you getting older, but you’re also opening up an opportunity to continue to add burger boys with age and depth. And to be honest, not all 5 star players develop, or are ready for the NBA after one season(I know that you understand that). 

51 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I absolutely agree with this. You can win and compete with balanced classes, but you take the next step getting 1 to 2 blue chippers per class. Not saying you need 5 or 6 every year like Kentucky, but a 5 star or a couple high 4 star players per class is ideal. Not only are you getting older, but you’re also opening up an opportunity to continue to add burger boys with age and depth. And to be honest, not all 5 star players develop, or are ready for the NBA after one season(I know that you understand that). 

Exactly, and before a couple people freak out, “blue chippers” doesn’t have to mean one and done UK/Duke classes. UVA, Villanova and UNC have all won titles recently with classes that had 2-3 blue chip, top 40-50 players in them that stuck around 2-3 years. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Virginia was able to do it. Villanova has done it. Kansas does it. Michigan State does it. Tom Crean did it a couple times, albeit not consistently enough, at IU. Out of the 4 players I listed Mohammad is potentially the only one and done. 

That is why I always say that I want to build like UVA or Villanova but if you look at the  list of kids leaving it is just not the top players any longer.  The ones you think will stay 3 or 4 years are leaving after a year or two.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

That is why I always say that I want to build like UVA or Villanova but if you look at the  list of kids leaving it is just not the top players any longer.  The ones you think will stay 3 or 4 years are leaving after a year or two.

The teams I listed have had legit, talented guys stay 2-4 years. Guys that are currently in the NBA.

They key is you need to consistently land them and land more than 1 at a time (something that has plagued IU. IU tends to just get one of these guys at a time), because yes some will leave earlier than expected, but if you land enough you have continuity. 

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The teams I listed have had legit, talented guys stay 2-4 years. Guys that are currently in the NBA.

They key is you need to consistently land them and land more than 1 at a time (something that has plagued IU. IU tends to just get one of these guys at a time), because yes some will leave earlier than expected, but if you land enough you have continuity. 

I totally agree but if you see the list of guys leaving you are seeing more of those type players leaving.  I don't know what some of these guys are looking at when they are making their decisions because some are leaving and not even getting drafted.  Arizona has had two freshmen put their names into the draft and those two Mannion and Nnaji and in the past would not be guys leaving after one year.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I totally agree but if you see the list of guys leaving you are seeing more of those type players leaving.  I don't know what some of these guys are looking at when they are making their decisions because some are leaving and not even getting drafted.  Arizona has had two freshmen put their names into the draft and those two Mannion and Nnaji and in the past would not be guys leaving after one year.

It is what it is, doesn't mean you stop recruiting good players. 

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

They're not looking at anything except maybe $ signs.  They're listening to handlers and AAU coaches who have been telling them they're the next greatest thing for far too many years and they believe it.  

Archived