Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

There have been plenty of #1 seeds upset before the sweet 16.  One didn't get out of the first round.  Upsets happen and the tournament is a crap shoot every year, but Cody had two great seasons at IU.  His career certainly isn't defined by a bad game or two.

Yep. It's amazing when people don't remember one of IU's biggest tourney upsets ever came against a team with 2 of the first 3 picks (Williams, Dunleavy) in NBA draft and I believe 5 overall picks (Boozer, Duhon, Jones) in subsequent drafts.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

To be honest IU Scott, I haven't even looked at the numbers and could care less because the eye test says so much more!  MD is arguably the best this conf has to offer and if they see what I see, why don't IU?  Let's not let a top team in our conference land a player that could make them dominant when IU is right in the mix.  We shall see who is correct.

What doesn't IU see? Archie has been all over this kid. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. It's amazing when people don't remember one of IU's biggest tourney upsets ever came against a team with 2 of the first 3 picks (Williams, Dunleavy) in NBA draft and I believe 5 overall picks (Boozer, Duhon, Jones) in subsequent drafts.

How about our upset in 84 over UNC when they had Jordan, Perkins, Daugherty, Smith who were all top 7 picks.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Not to go down a rabbit's hole here, but people also overrate that 2012-13 team. It was a really good team, no doubt. At times it was one of the best teams in the country, as evidenced by being #1 for so long. But, that was a very down year in college basketball. The overall talent level wasn't that great, IU included. Look at the 2012 freshmen class around the country and it was a completely overrated class (just looked up the top 10 from that year and you can argue Kyle Anderson is the best of the bunch) and the 2013 NBA Draft class is also one of the worst in recent years.

IU was not one of those juggernaut #1 teams that was something like 32-3 heading into the tourney, and they weren't that in what was a down year for college basketball.

By the time March rolled around, IU was basically a 6-man team. They had six players that played 22 mpg or more and nobody else that played more than 12 mpg. For a #1 team, IU had an extremely small backcourt and had basically zero interior depth. Then you add in the Hulls injury in the Temple game and then you're basically a 5 man team with a 6th guy playing with one arm. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved that team and still do. One of the most fun IU teams to root for,  partly because the guys were so likeable and had a swagger but also because of all they had persevered through. I'm not trying to make excuses, that's not my intent, it's just that while a really, really good team, that team gets overrated by IU fans IMO. They were one of about 5-7 really good teams that year, but IU was not clearly better than any of those other teams, especially by tournament time. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Not to go down a rabbit's hole here, but people also overrate that 2012-13 team. It was a really good team, no doubt. At times it was one of the best teams in the country, as evidenced by being #1 for so long. But, that was a very down year in college basketball. The overall talent level wasn't that great, IU included. Look at the 2012 freshmen class around the country and it was a completely overrated class (just looked up the top 10 from that year and you can argue Kyle Anderson is the best of the bunch) and the 2013 NBA Draft class is also one of the worst in recent years.

IU was not one of those juggernaut #1 teams that was something like 32-3 heading into the tourney, and they weren't that in what was a down year for college basketball.

By the time March rolled around, IU was basically a 6-man team. They had six players that played 22 mpg or more and nobody else that played more than 12 mpg. For a #1 team, IU had an extremely small backcourt and had basically zero interior depth. Then you add in the Hulls injury in the Temple game and then you're basically a 5 man team with a 6th guy playing with one arm. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved that team and still do. One of the most fun IU teams to root for,  partly because the guys were so likeable and had a swagger but also because of all they had persevered through. I'm not trying to make excuses, that's not my intent, it's just that while a really, really good team, that team gets overrated by IU fans IMO. They were one of about 5-7 really good teams that year, but IU was not clearly better than any of those other teams, especially by tournament time. 

I also thought Syracuse was one of the teams in the country that year as well.  If it wasn't for a bad 2 week stretch they would have gotten better than a 4 seed.

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I also thought Syracuse was one of the teams in the country that year as well.  If it wasn't for a bad 2 week stretch they would have gotten better than a 4 seed.

Agree. Syracuse was in that top 5-7 or it may have even been 8 teams that year that were good enough to win it all, and IMO in that group of 5-8 there was very little separation. 

On 5/13/2020 at 1:37 PM, IndySportsPartizan said:

Cody Zeller has basically confirmed that the team was run into the ground and exhausted come post season. 

What is your honest opinion on Cody's game when he left for the NBA?  Was he ready for an NBA roster as is or could he use at least another yr to get stronger and become dominant at the college level first?

On 5/12/2020 at 2:42 AM, FKIM01 said:

There have been plenty of #1 seeds upset before the sweet 16.  One didn't get out of the first round.  Upsets happen and the tournament is a crap shoot every year, but Cody had two great seasons at IU.  His career certainly isn't defined by a bad game or two.

First off, I want to say that I am grateful that Cody chose to stay 2 yrs at IU but the teams disappointment is a direct result that Cody was not ready for the NBA.  I feel he had one more yr to get stronger and grow his game instead of leaving early to report to the end of the bench as a Pro.  To this day, I still don't see him as a game changer and more of a reserve type player that doesn't make sense to leave school early!  I know many here don't agree with my thoughts but that is just how I see it and I'll echo my thoughts on Noah Vonleh and Romeo Langford!  Quick to Jump to that level before their actually ready!  None of these great talents brought a championship to BTown but glad they followed their dream.

On 5/8/2020 at 8:31 AM, IU Scott said:

I think you are probably over hyping this kid because he has gotten those numbers against pretty weak competition. 

He also dominated EYBL last summer playing a grade up. Second leading scorer on team with 4-5 top 75 guys in 2020. Also rebounded Mark Williams (top 15-20 7ft C going to Duke) while shooting almost 60% FGP. 

if anything, his video game numbers during his HS season almost do a disservice to the kid 

42 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

First off, I want to say that I am grateful that Cody chose to stay 2 yrs at IU but the teams disappointment is a direct result that Cody was not ready for the NBA.  I feel he had one more yr to get stronger and grow his game instead of leaving early to report to the end of the bench as a Pro.  To this day, I still don't see him as a game changer and more of a reserve type player that doesn't make sense to leave school early!  I know many here don't agree with my thoughts but that is just how I see it and I'll echo my thoughts on Noah Vonleh and Romeo Langford!  Quick to Jump to that level before their actually ready!  None of these great talents brought a championship to BTown but glad they followed their dream.

He's started 60% of games he's been in in the NBA. That's hardly end of the bench and not a reserve role. He's not an all star but he's been solid in the NBA. 

Zeller was picked 4th in the draft. If he had played another session he likely not only wouldn't have gone higher but could have fallen. Plus he would've missed out on a year of pay.

So I disagree with you that it was a mistake for him to leave when he did.

17 minutes ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

He also dominated EYBL last summer playing a grade up. Second leading scorer on team with 4-5 top 75 guys in 2020. Also rebounded Mark Williams (top 15-20 7ft C going to Duke) while shooting almost 60% FGP. 

if anything, his video game numbers during his HS season almost do a disservice to the kid 

I don't care who this guy played against to know that his stature will transfer to the next level and that is being kind.  You don't out rebound a 7ft Duke commit or outplay multiple top 75 talent on your team while playing a grade up!  This kid will bring BEASTMODE as a TRUE FR that no other FR will bring.

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

He's started 60% of games he's been in in the NBA. That's hardly end of the bench and not a reserve role. He's not an all star but he's been solid in the NBA. 

Zeller was picked 4th in the draft. If he had played another session he likely not only wouldn't have gone higher but could have fallen. Plus he would've missed out on a year of pay.

So I disagree with you that it was a mistake for him to leave when he did.

Many will disagree with me but that is hardly a solid resume that validates leaving college after two short yrs!  Again, I'm not hating on Cody and am truly grateful he chose our Hoosiers but this kind of resume doesn't pass the smell test.  Now if we were to debate Vic Dipo leaving early, nobody in their right mind would even question such a move.  

On 5/12/2020 at 9:15 AM, Seeking6 said:

It also took a Hercules type effort and 24 pts from Fr Phenom Jerrod Jeffries unlike the 10 pts that the SO great Cody Zeller was able to put up vs Cuse!  For those that will complain that Zeller did not have a supporting cast let me remind you that Vic Dipo had 16 and Wat had 13 which is more than a capable cast!

53 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Many will disagree with me but that is hardly a solid resume that validates leaving college after two short yrs!  Again, I'm not hating on Cody and am truly grateful he chose our Hoosiers but this kind of resume doesn't pass the smell test.  Now if we were to debate Vic Dipo leaving early, nobody in their right mind would even question such a move.  

Yeah, I'll have to disagree.  Staying an extra year at IU would not have made Zeller a better pro.

...but I digress...this is Aminu's thread and I'd love see him play for IU.

19 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

It also took a Hercules type effort and 24 pts from Fr Phenom Jerrod Jeffries unlike the 10 pts that the SO great Cody Zeller was able to put up vs Cuse!  For those that will complain that Zeller did not have a supporting cast let me remind you that Vic Dipo had 16 and Wat had 13 which is more than a capable cast!

If you want to cherry pick games then Jeffries had only 8 points in the championship loss to Maryland. I don't get your seeming hatred of Zeller.

I agree with @FKIM01, let's get back on topic.

1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

Jefferies was a sophomore the year we beat Duke

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I never said that Aminu is not a great player and did not want him to pick IU.  I just think you were over hyping him that he would come in just dominate from day one.

At the end of the day, i may be over hyping him but it's not everyday you see an athletic guard trapped in a Lebron or Zion type build everyday.  Their build is what helped them be so dominant early on as Lebron skipped college altogether and Zion was king from day one.  If I'm wrong on this guy, I will forever retire as an Armchair Scout and forever hold my peace.

10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Just cause he only scored 10 points vs Syracuse and didn’t win a national championship, doesn’t mean he should’ve came back. Cody averaged 16 points a game during his college career and made it to 1000 points in just 2 YEARS. If u ask me that’s pretty dominant. I would say he made a good decision to leave because after next season he will have made 73 MILLION DOLLARS in the NBA. Also, the best team every year doesn’t always win the tournament. Its single elimination, so if u play a bad 30 out of 40 minutes and lose you’re out. 

1 hour ago, btroesch14 said:

Just cause he only scored 10 points vs Syracuse and didn’t win a national championship, doesn’t mean he should’ve came back. Cody averaged 16 points a game during his college career and made it to 1000 points in just 2 YEARS. If u ask me that’s pretty dominant. I would say he made a good decision to leave because after next season he will have made 73 MILLION DOLLARS in the NBA. Also, the best team every year doesn’t always win the tournament. Its single elimination, so if u play a bad 30 out of 40 minutes and lose you’re out. 

Cody made a very good decision. 2013 was a weak draft. Most years he wouldn't have been the 4th pick.

Out of 30 first round picks, three have made an All-Star team (yeah Victor), although the selection of the Greek Freak at 15 looks solid :coffee:

https://www.zagsblog.com/2013/02/17/nba-gm-2013-draft-is-historically-weak/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NBA_draft

We now return to our regularly scheduled Aminu show.

9 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

At the end of the day, i may be over hyping him but it's not everyday you see an athletic guard trapped in a Lebron or Zion type build everyday.  Their build is what helped them be so dominant early on as Lebron skipped college altogether and Zion was king from day one.  If I'm wrong on this guy, I will forever retire as an Armchair Scout and forever hold my peace.

So, exactly how many times/games have you seen this kid play.   Just curious?  And what is a Zion or LeBron type build?  This kid isn't close in height or weight to either of them.  Is he?  🤔

Archived