Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

42 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

So, exactly how many times/games have you seen this kid play.   Just curious?  And what is a Zion or LeBron type build?  This kid isn't close in height or weight to either of them.  Is he?  🤔

Giving up 4" and 50lbs to 18 year old Lebron and 2" and 100lbs to Zion. He's not as explosive as either of those guys either. So, no.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

Giving up 4" and 50lbs to 18 year old Lebron and 2" and 100lbs to Zion. He's not as explosive as either of those guys either. So, no.

To me, you just decribed Remy Abell.  Not regarding his game or skill set or anything, but just what he looks like right now. 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

The more he is in contact with other programs, the better I feel. Having gathered a lot of things about him, his situation the last few weeks... I'm really hopeful he ends up elsewhere. 

Is that because of on the court limitations/fit or some off the court stuff that you feel IU should avoid?

Maryland is about to get a commitment from Ike Cornish who is a SG ranked 78th in the nation.  He's gotten crystal ball picks there the past couple weeks and just picked up the offer today.  Should help our chances here with the overlap in position.

5 hours ago, CoachSS said:

The more he is in contact with other programs, the better I feel. Having gathered a lot of things about him, his situation the last few weeks... I'm really hopeful he ends up elsewhere. 

Reasoning: Skill-level, involvement of others, ability to score away from the basket for his size. 

*Edit. This will come up more later. Can discuss more at a later time. 

Aminu or Cody Zeller? I am not sure anymore who we are talking about?🙄🙄😁

5 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Reasoning: Skill-level, involvement of others, ability to score away from the basket for his size. 

Is that because you have been pushing Wesley on here?

Is the consensus on Wesley that he is underrated at 89 on the composite? I've seen comments that he's really worked on his game defensively. Some of his shooting percentages are questionable for a top flight offensive recruit though. Is it a shot selection issue? Lack of surrounding cast? How has he performed in AAU with and against better competition?

56 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

Is the consensus on Wesley that he is underrated at 89 on the composite? I've seen comments that he's really worked on his game defensively. Some of his shooting percentages are questionable for a top flight offensive recruit though. Is it a shot selection issue? Lack of surrounding cast? How has he performed in AAU with and against better competition?

Very underrated 

edit-He would have absolutely blown up on the AAU circuit this summer

3 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Sounds like his guardian isnt high on Big10 style of play

20200517_170835.jpg

Confusing my threads maybe but we've discussed lately....style of play in the Big 10 hurts our chances with elite recruits unless Indiana born. Fischer has said. Rabby and plenty others echoed. Harmon saying this doesn't help matters much. That tweet there sounds like we love IU and Miller but your conference style of play doesn't help. 

On 5/15/2020 at 2:36 PM, CoachSS said:

I've been on here beating this kids drum since the start of COVID-19 but I will trust others like you who know more to the story that the rest of us lack.  Always love to read your insight that comes from within the program vs us outsiders who think we know!  I'm moving on from this recruitment.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Confusing my threads maybe but we've discussed lately....style of play in the Big 10 hurts our chances with elite recruits unless Indiana born. Fischer has said. Rabby and plenty others echoed. Harmon saying this doesn't help matters much. That tweet there sounds like we love IU and Miller but your conference style of play doesn't help. 

He must not be the Hercules we all made him out to be??  Pretty sure Lebron or Zion wouldn't back down from the physicality the B10 brings day in and day out!  Time to move on...

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Totally agree.  We see less and less elite talent come to the big ten each year.  I'm okay letting them play a little but it gets physical to the point that is hurts the conference too much.

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Very underrated 

edit-He would have absolutely blown up on the AAU circuit this summer

This IU team going forward needs shooters to go along with the Natural Born Guitar Scorers!  We already ruled out AMINU because of his outside shot and some say Wesley has a questionable shot?  Does the staff feel that Wesley is a higher percentage get than Aminu being the reason for the recent shift?

43 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Re: Mohammed.

Last week I sent a text to a guy I met years and years ago coaching AAU. Had to find my old Blackberry to locate his name. He barely remembered me. Which is good enough. He lives in Kansas City. I asked him about Mohammed to confirm (or deny) some random whispers I've heard from others. Here is some paraphrasing:
- Transferred to this random school from the east coast where he isn't going against top players night in and night out. 
- Physically, overpowering driver getting downhill. Fun to watch when he gets a step because he is an "oil freighter."
- Passing is decent, but handle needs work for a guard. 
- Struggles to score against a defense sagging in as he can't shoot. 
- "If he's ranked so high, why isn't anyone good in on him?"

I can't shake the last part. I'm not saying he is a player who fell through the cracks. And, not even making mention of some of those around him. But, for those into "rankings" how come he is ranked so high but no one good wants him? He is a rising senior after all so we are a lot closer to the end of his recruitment than we are to the beginning. 

With the right work, attitude and confidence he can develop into a nice, solid wing type in a power conference. And given his power, a good work ethic and strength there is some upside. But, he's a player I'd prefer to avoid since other wing types are ahead of him.

Thanks for the info. So the guy must not think IU, Maryland, and Louisville aren't "anyone good"?

23 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So any five star not offered by one of those schools can’t play?

By that logic, TJD wasn’t worth offering.  Dumb premise.

The premise that top programs typically go after the highest rated recruits has merit.

I’m bored and looked at last years 5 star recruits. 247 lists 28 five stars and 25 of them (higher than I expected) had an offer from Duke, UK, KU and/or UNC. Many of them had multiple offers from those schools. The 3 recruits that did not have an offer from one of them were ranked 20,26 and 28. Every top 19 player had an offer from those 4 schools. 
2/3 of the players that did not receive a “big four” offer were offered by Arizona which is arguably in the next tier (with maybe MSU, UL and Nova)

51 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So any five star not offered by one of those schools can’t play?

By that logic, TJD wasn’t worth offering.  Dumb premise.

Stop putting words in my mouth.   Nobody said anything of the sort.  I notice you love to argue on here.  Good luck with that.

23 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

The premise that top programs typically go after the highest rated recruits has merit.

I’m bored and looked at last years 5 star recruits. 247 lists 28 five stars and 25 of them (higher than I expected) had an offer from Duke, UK, KU and/or UNC. Many of them had multiple offers from those schools. The 3 recruits that did not have an offer from one of them were ranked 20,26 and 28. Every top 19 player had an offer from those 4 schools. 
2/3 of the players that did not receive a “big four” offer were offered by Arizona which is arguably in the next tier (with maybe MSU, UL and Nova)

Interesting breakdown.  Would be interested to see if that’s the case in other years as well.  Regardless, it’s still the case that TJD didn’t have offers from any of those schools, and Mohammed has three “next tier” offers from UL, Maryland, and IU.

It just amuses me that the same person (not you) arguing that IU should stay away from Mohammed because “no one good has offered him” is hyping up a kid who’s only been offered by two MAC schools.

Not sure why Coach SS is so bullish on this kid.. seems like a really solid 2-3 year guy to me! I’d love to have him. I’d like someone to break down the numbers on 5 stars and how many of them were not a factor to success on their college teams. Maybe they don’t go pro but if I had to guess I’d think about every kid inside the top 20 in the rankings had some positive impact as long as they were healthy. Defiantly have a better chance % wise of impacting a program rather than a kid outside the top 125.. They only way I would stay away is of the kid is a cancer and or bad teammate. 

Archived