Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

8 hours ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

Aminu has been in the U.S. all of 3 years and he wasn’t a highly touted prospect when he did come to the U.S. I wouldn’t expect his parents, who are still in Nigeria I believe, to have any idea how to approach American college basketball recruiting.

I’m not sure why folks also just assume that his parents didn’t ask his guardian to take a leadership role in the recruiting  process. Read up on Aminu’s backstory - nothing nefarious when you realize the relationship that was already there.

The way I see it, our most recent Nigerian-descent Hoosiers were two of the best young men to come through the program in recent years and I’d love to have Aminu on board carrying the tradition. OG (born in Nigeria) and Oladipo (Nigerian parents) anyone? 

Agree. I also read somewhere some fans showing concern because Kauffman said he talks to IU coaches every other day but Mohammad said he hadn’t talked to them in a week. 

I’d bet Archie and staff are in more touch with the guardian than they actually are with Mohammad in this case. Each recruitment is different and this one seems like the guardian is keeping a tighter lid on access to the kid, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, goonaha said:

For other reasons, or because he tweeted that Aminu needs to get better every year? Because that tweet seems fairly reasonable. I would certainly hope young players get better every year.

I agree that players should get better every year, but don’t agree with putting that in a tweet. Could have left it at his game production. Almost seems like he’s calling him out publicly. Maybe it’s for motivation, but I’d prefer it stay off Twitter 

Good article.  I feel for Aminu in that he hasn’t been home in a few years.  That’s quite a sacrifice for his parents.  They want the best for him, so that says a lot, to be apart from your child.  

I was very happy to hear he’s got good grades.  I don’t know much about the guardian but it sounds like he’s got the young man on a good track.  The young man seems to truly get the opportunity before him.  

As a player, I like his toughness.  He can go get you a bucket. But he rebounds and I’ve heard he plays hard on D.  

If we land him, I doubt it would affect our 2022 wing priorities because I doubt he’s still here.  

5 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good article.  I feel for Aminu in that he hasn’t been home in a few years.  That’s quite a sacrifice for his parents.  They want the best for him, so that says a lot, to be apart from your child.  

I was very happy to hear he’s got good grades.  I don’t know much about the guardian but it sounds like he’s got the young man on a good track.  The young man seems to truly get the opportunity before him.  

As a player, I like his toughness.  He can go get you a bucket. But he rebounds and I’ve heard he plays hard on D.  

If we land him, I doubt it would affect our 2022 wing priorities because I doubt he’s still here.  

Agreed. If the kid even goes to college. If he passes on the g league it will only be for one season. Seems pretty certain given all that has been said from his guardian.

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. If the kid even goes to college. If he passes on the g league it will only be for one season. Seems pretty certain given all that has been said from his guardian.

No doubt in my mind that he will wind up at a school of higher learning,  somewhere.  If not IU... then some where else.  Understand that he had a good game the past couple of days.

In terms of his guardian.... he got Kabir into a University.  So... IMHO.... the path has already been blazed.

49 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

No doubt in my mind that he will wind up at a school of higher learning,  somewhere.  If not IU... then some where else.  Understand that he had a good game the past couple of days.

In terms of his guardian.... he got Kabir into a University.  So... IMHO.... the path has already been blazed.

Yes but his brother was no where near the player he is and now a straight jump to the g league with pay change and the linear path for kids is more acceptable then ever before. I think he is OAD at best.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yes but his brother was no where near the player he is and now a straight jump to the g league with pay change and the linear path for kids is more acceptable then ever before. I think he is OAD at best.

You are correct about his brother.  And the reason why, I don't think he will not be able to find a place in a more major arena.

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

Sounds like the family and by extension the guardian place a high importance on education. Doesn't seem like the type to go the G League route IMO

10 hours ago, cybergates said:

Sounds like the family and by extension the guardian place a high importance on education. Doesn't seem like the type to go the G League route IMO

He isn’t going to college for an education if he has his way. He wants to get to the nba as soon as possible. How much of an education is he going to get in one semester? The HS choice was about education but the kid has had several interviews where he is clear his eyes are playing at the highest level. 

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He isn’t going to college for an education if he has his way. He wants to get to the nba as soon as possible. How much of an education is he going to get in one semester? The HS choice was about education but the kid has had several interviews where he is clear his eyes are playing at the highest level. 

Education seems to be important to him, his parents, and his guardian.  Someone needs to make him aware of IU's student bill of rights.  Should he leave early for the pro's... he can still come back and have his education paid for by IU.

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

kid is still raw if you watch his game videos. not OND In my eyes.

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

Given what I've read about this kid, even if he intends to be one and done, I think he will complete his spring classes if feasible.  Beyond that, Like Kevin, I've heard this kid is uber-talented, but a bit raw, so an extra year would likely make for a smoother transition.  I get the argument about honing your skills in the G-league, but I also think you drown if you go too early.

Archived