Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

Saw another 5 star guard has Georgia in his final two so if he chooses Georgia then Muhammad probably won't go there,

McGowens is expected to sign with the school of his choice after announcing his intentions. The five-star guard has recently narrowed his list to include just Nebraska and Georgia, with the Huskers seeming like the frontrunner. Family ties are likely to play a role here, as McGowens’ older brother, Trey, is already a member of the Nebraska basketball program.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would assume it would be academics plus not being with the team all summer and it being in the middle of the season.

Looks like OSU has a guy doing just that. I would really only want it to happen if we struggle to start the year. 

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-mens-basketball-verbal-commitment-Meechie-Johnson-is-expected-to-enroll-early-in-January-154399168/

23 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Looks like OSU has a guy doing just that. I would really only want it to happen if we struggle to start the year. 

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-mens-basketball-verbal-commitment-Meechie-Johnson-is-expected-to-enroll-early-in-January-154399168/

It was suggested that TK was considering this if the high school basketball season got canceled. It’s a reality that might happen more this year than ever depending on what part of the country recruits are coming from and if the school they’re going to has an open scholarship available. 

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If we keep having more out breaks of the virus there is a chance no one will play this year.  If they do a lockdown in the country or some what of a lockdown there won't be a season.

IU tested at less than 1% a couple weeks ago and there are large parties all over every night. Maybe the key, drink until you cant drink anymore.

10 hours ago, goonaha said:

Just as an FYI from being somewhat local, his current school is a college prep high school associated with Missouri State in Springfield. It's a good school and not athletic minded at all. I'm not sure where he would transfer to for one year that would be a better academic climate. I think he either has a season for Greenwood, or enrolls in a university in January.

Interestingly enough. I am very familiar with Springfield, Missouri.  Having relatives that live there. Been on the campus of Missouri State, which I believe was previously named South West Missouri State.... when Steve Alford was the coach there.   And then... not far down the road from campus is the mega  Bass Pro store. It's huge and lots of fun. Where Mrs. mile and I spent nearly an entire day there exploring.  Don't know if it has changed.... but the second story restaurant.... next to the waterfall is where we had breakfast, and lunch. 

A little more.  The Bass Pro Tournament of Champions was cancelled just yesterday (Nov.11).  Due to the pandemic.  Causing Aminu and his guardian to rethink their plans on a commitment.  May come sooner now.

Pandemic Leads to Cancellation of Bass Pro Tournament of Champions

Again :

Aminu Mohammed: 5-star prospect could enroll in college early

13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Interestingly enough. I am very familiar with Springfield, Missouri.  Having relatives that live there. Been on the campus of Missouri State, which I believe was previously named South West Missouri State.... when Steve Alford was the coach there.   And then... not far down the road from campus is the mega  Bass Pro store. It's huge and lots of fun. Where Mrs. mile and I spent nearly an entire day there exploring.  Don't know if it has changed.... but the second story restaurant.... next to the waterfall is where we had breakfast, and lunch. 

Yep that one and the Memphis pyramid are awesome!!

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

A little more.  The Bass Pro Tournament of Champions was cancelled just yesterday (Nov.11).  Due to the pandemic.  Causing Aminu and his guardian to rethink their plans on a commitment.  May come sooner now.

Pandemic Leads to Cancellation of Bass Pro Tournament of Champions

Again :

Aminu Mohammed: 5-star prospect could enroll in college early

Yeah. I think he was hoping this season would allow him chances to raise his profile and either set him up for a bigger offer or maybe even g league offer. If it goes this rate I could see him enrolling early.

On 11/11/2020 at 9:54 PM, HoosierDom said:

What could possibly be the downside to having him enroll at semester? If he’s not ready then he gets a semester to work on his body and to practice against our guys. If he wasn’t to come, that scholarship slot would just be empty. If nothing else it’s a more than capable player that pushes our players to get better because he is practicing against them. Or on the other side, maybe he’s good enough to come in and play some if he gets the schemes down. No downside to this from IU’s perspective imo.

13 minutes ago, Whozure2122 said:

What could possibly be the downside to having him enroll at semester? If he’s not ready then he gets a semester to work on his body and to practice against our guys. If he wasn’t to come, that scholarship slot would just be empty. If nothing else it’s a more than capable player that pushes our players to get better because he is practicing against them. Or on the other side, maybe he’s good enough to come in and play some if he gets the schemes down. No downside to this from IU’s perspective imo.

Down side could be hurting the team chemistry by bringing in a guy half through the season

9 hours ago, Whozure2122 said:

i dont see one, as long as the plan is to just get his toes wet in the system, and not play him the second half of the season. For this year, if he does enroll early, i would imagine he would be nice competition in practice, and 6 extra months in the system. 

10 hours ago, Whozure2122 said:

The OSU guy intends to play after the fall semester ends. I wouldn't want that if we are off to a good start.

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm sick and tired of losing to purdue twice and finishing around .500 in the B1G and comparing buddle resumes with pac 10 teams.  So yes I'd like 3 5 star guys to join the team whenever they want.  I'm so confused.  

Some of us don't like seeing IU used as a minor league system and still believe in the student athlete part of college sports.  It has been proven just stock piing 5 star one and done players is not the only way to win.  You mentioned Purdue where they have no 5 star players yet they win at a good percentage.  I want IU to build their roster like UVA and Villanova and UW over the one and done factories of UK and Duke.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Some of us don't like seeing IU used as a minor league system and still believe in the student athlete part of college sports.  It has been proven just stock piing 5 star one and done players is not the only way to win.  You mentioned Purdue where they have no 5 star players yet they win at a good percentage.  I want IU to build their roster like UVA and Villanova and UW over the one and done factories of UK and Duke.

Very same thought came to my mind.  One and dones.... forget about 'em .

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It’s not a minor league, although that’s what high end athletes are thinking anyway. They want to make it to the NBA. Nobody is advocating taking only 5 stars, but we are in no shape to turn away 5 star talent. I’d rather win being like duke than lose being like we are now. Talent wins. And nova and Virginia have a good mix which is what we want.  But that’s not what we got. I don’t get the aversion to have 1 and done players. You don’t build your program on them, but they certainly help. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

It’s not a minor league, although that’s what high end athletes are thinking anyway. They want to make it to the NBA. Nobody is advocating taking only 5 stars, but we are in no shape to turn away 5 star talent. I’d rather win being like duke than lose being like we are now. Talent wins. And nova and Virginia have a good mix which is what we want.  But that’s not what we got. I don’t get the aversion to have 1 and done players. You don’t build your program on them, but they certainly help. 

IMO one and done athletes are just a byproduct of your success. If you are a good coach and have a good program you are going to improve your players/have an eye for talent and put kids in the nba...be it early or in a few years. With those type of players you are going to win games. Win games put kids in the nba or have success and other kids will be drawn to your program. Now...there are some OAD kids that just latch on to any program willing to let them have carte Blanche over the whole program and use the program for themselves and that is not what I’m advocating but I think a good program/healthy program will be attractive to young men that want to play at the highest level and have a professional career. I trust Archie to know which kids have the right mentality for the program. After all Archie is under a lot of pressure to win...does him no good to bring in problem kids and shoot himself in the foot. If we can win some more and develop some more kids into nba talent...we are going to have to get used to seeing OAD caliber players interested in playing here. Get on board or get left behind.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just saying that I bet those teams would gladly take three 5 stars, but that's not their reality. 'One and done factories' are realistic for 2....maybe 3 teams in all of CBB. 

UVA, Nova and UW offer the occasional 5 star recruits that they think would work for their program. It doesn't mean that they are becoming a minor league program; it means they are being as efficient as their reality dictates. Just because they don't operate like Crean, who offers every 5 star in sight, doesn't mean that they don't want that caliber of talent. The notion that Archie wants to, or more importantly CAN, turn us into a program like UK or Duke is far fetched. It's a boogie man that you don't have to worry about @IU Scott .....because it aint happening. At least not in the near future. 

58 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is a fringe 5 star.  Not likely a one and done talent.  I like what CAM is building.  If he's comfortable allowing a kid he has gotten to know for over a year now to come join mid season... SIGN HIM UP

I literally knew you would respond with that exact post Scott.  Love you man.  You know I'm in the BGLEAS camp.  Build the program with basketball players and team first players, such as Armaan and Rob Phinisee.  Then sprinkle a high four or fringe 5 star players that's likely to stay 2, maybe 3 years, such as TJD and this young man.  Now we are back to competing for championships.  Simple recipe that many try and hit, like VA and Nova and North Carolina.  I'm not advocating a UK, Duke, or now Michigan system.  

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Very same thought came to my mind.  One and dones.... forget about 'em .

And @IU Scott

When this program is out of the bottom half of the conference we won't have to desire more talent infusion.  For 2 years I begged for a transfer or recruit that could start now.  CAM rolled the dice thinking he could mold and shape Devonte Green.  There's an entire thread that got derailed disparaging Al Durham, factually the teams best returning guard, a senior, best shooter, and started 32 of 32 games last year.  Calling him at best a 6th man on a B1G contending team.  So when that's the reality of the situation and pundits are projecting this team to finish 6th - 10th in conference, I'll take a kid that we have been recruiting for quite some time, in December, if his high school season falls apart in 2020 because it's 2020 and covid and 2020.  

Archived