Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

6 minutes ago, goonaha said:

You: "Who said they don't want talent 

Also you: I don't want talent that might only stay one year. 

You answered your question.

Also nobody is advocating for a bunch of one and done players, so don't put words in my mouth. We're simply talking about not turning guys down when good opportunities present themselves that make sense to the coaching staff (a la Romeo, a la Aminu). Especially when the team is desperate for a talent infusion, as they currently are.

I also find this discussion funny, because we have no idea if Aminu is dead-set on 1 and done. He might have a TJD two years and out approach. And at a minimum he'd be on campus for 1.5 years even if he does only play one season. Does 1.5 years cross your threshold of acceptableness?

So only the top one and done players have talent.  UNC built there roster mainly with guys from 20-80 who played 3-4 years.  I guess those guys are not talented enough for you since they stayed more than 1 year.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, goonaha said:

You: "Who said they don't want talent 

Also you: I don't want talent that might only stay one year. 

You answered your question.

Also nobody is advocating for a bunch of one and done players, so don't put words in my mouth. We're simply talking about not turning guys down when good opportunities present themselves that make sense to the coaching staff (a la Romeo, a la Aminu). Especially when the team is desperate for a talent infusion, as they currently are.

I also find this discussion funny, because we have no idea if Aminu is dead-set on 1 and done. He might have a TJD two years and out approach. And at a minimum he'd be on campus for 1.5 years even if he does only play one season. Does 1.5 years cross your threshold of acceptableness?

I am not really talking about Muhammad in this discussion but players in general.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

So only the top one and done players have talent.  UNC built there roster mainly with guys from 20-80 who played 3-4 years.  I guess those guys are not talented enough for you since they stayed more than 1 year.

I'm not advocating for turning down 20-80 ranked kids, Scott. What a ridiculous comment to make that "they aren't talented enough" for me. I will take any talent that involves a good kid who wants to win for Indiana. I don't care how long he stays. We happen to only have three 20-80 ranked kids lined up for next year's roster. (Hunter, Lander, Duncomb). Not exactly a lot. I am willing to take what we can get in this class. 

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Scott this is why having any conversation with you is so freaking frustrating. You are just like a politician talking out of both sides of your mouth.

On one hand, you have vociferously touted how CAM has brought in the last 3 Indiana Mr. Basketballs— as a means of defending his recruiting ability. And, that includes Romeo..

Then, you say that you’d rather not have Romeo, 

You’re opinion isn’t the same and will never change. Your opinion is whatever fits the moment.

Hard to respect a poster who isn’t true to one belief, whether I agree with it or not 

I would have rather have a 4 star player who stays multiple years over Romeo or any one and done player.  To me that helps develop your team better than having a guy for a year.  What did Romeo really bring to IU in his one year just like Gordon or Vonleh.  I get today's fans want instant gratification and that comes by getting the one and done players.  In the long run if it does not bring winning what good does it do to your program by having those players. What good did Ben Simmons bring to LSU.

3 minutes ago, goonaha said:

I'm not advocating for turning down 20-80 ranked kids, Scott. What a ridiculous comment to make that "they aren't talented enough" for me. I will take any talent that involves a good kid who wants to win for Indiana. I don't care how long he stays. We happen to only have three 20-80 ranked kids lined up for next year's roster. (Hunter, Lander, Duncomb). Not exactly a lot. I am willing to take what we can get in this class. 

Race was a top 80 player and I feel like Galloway and Geronimo will out play their rankings.  If you bring a one and done player in the next class and it doesn't lead to winning big then what good did that player do.  I wish rather bring in a player whoight need a year to develop because in the long run it will lead to winning.  Also I am not talking about bringing in players like Prillar who never had a chance to develop

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would have rather have a 4 star player who stays multiple years over Romeo or any one and done player.  To me that helps develop your team better than having a guy for a year.  What did Romeo really bring to IU in his one year just like Gordon or Vonleh.  I get today's fans want instant gratification and that comes by getting the one and done players.  In the long run if it does not bring winning what good does it do to your program by having those players. What good did Ben Simmons bring to LSU.

So for example if we take this year's roster, which has a legit stud in TJD and is considered to be top 30ish, you wouldn't want to add a stud shooting guard to that just because he might be gone to the lottery the next year. You're trying to criticize Romeo or act like he didn't bring anything to us simply because of the stage of the program he happened to walk into. 

You are also acting like this is an either or situation. It's not. One, we have multiple opening scholarships. Two, we have no other targets at guard in '21. Aminu is it. He's not taking anybody's spot. We have the four star developmental guys already. 

6 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Most of our kids are 80-150 than 20-80. 80-150 can be good....but usually what they lack is elite athleticism or skill set or potential. Ability to come in and help right away or have that huge leap in year 2. As much as I love our guys from 80-150 none of them have I’d say star potential. Even Jordan id say is pretty raw but probably the closest to having nba potential. Those special players are ones that typically can dominate a game, take their man one on one, open up the game for others, generate offense on their own....these are guys the 80-150 can feed off of and benefit from their extra spacing, play making, defensive attention. That is why getting 3 or 4 of those top kids is what it will take to consistently finish at the top. If they happen to be OAD ok...I’d prefer 2 and done but either way we need nba potential on the team.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I’m not trying to fight. What is the minimum requirement for you...2 years/3 years....what must they stay or you wouldn’t want them? Just want to know so I better understand you. 

Just now, dgambill said:

Most of our kids are 80-150 than 20-80. 80-150 can be good....but usually what they lack is elite athleticism or skill set or potential. Ability to come in and help right away or have that huge leap in year 2. As much as I love our guys from 80-150 none of them have I’d say star potential. Even Jordan id say is pretty raw but probably the closest to having nba potential. Those special players are ones that typically can dominate a game, take their man one on one, open up the game for others, generate offense on their own....these are guys the 80-150 can feed off of and benefit from their extra spacing, play making, defensive attention. That is why getting 3 or 4 of those top kids is what it will take to consistently finish at the top. If they happen to be OAD ok...I’d prefer 2 and done but either way we need nba potential on the team.

I'm completely on board with your take here. Neither of us is advocating for a Kentucky or Duke model. We simply aren't opposed to adding elite top-end talent that might be a flight risk after 1 or 2 years on top of the 4 star developmental guys that Archie is currently targeting and reeling in.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Then stop using Romeo as part of your argument that CAM can recruit.

You talk around the topic instead of taking ownership of your opinion. 

2 minutes ago, goonaha said:

So for example if we take this year's roster, which has a legit stud in TJD and is considered to be top 30ish, you wouldn't want to add a stud shooting guard to that just because he might be gone to the lottery the next year. You're trying to criticize Romeo or act like he didn't bring anything to us simply because of the stage of the program he happened to walk into. 

You are also acting like this is an either or situation. It's not. One, we have multiple opening scholarships. Two, we have no other targets at guard in '21. Aminu is it. He's not taking anybody's spot. We have the four star developmental guys already. 

What I am saying this year's team would have been better off if we got a Aaron Henry or a player like him instead of getting Romeo.  I am about building a program over a team which means you have to look at what is best for the long term.

Just now, IU Scott said:

What I am saying this year's team would have been better off if we got a Aaron Henry or a player like him instead of getting Romeo.  I am about building a program over a team which means you have to look at what is best for the long term.

We did get the Aaron Henry type. Their names were Jerome Hunter and Damezi Anderson. Unfortunately Damezi didn't pan out and Jerome had a rare leg condition that has set his development back. Archie did exactly what you wanted, he just happened to not get the exact right guy.

Just now, goonaha said:

I'm completely on board with your take here. Neither of us is advocating for a Kentucky or Duke model. We simply aren't opposed to adding elite top-end talent that might be a flight risk after 1 or 2 years on top of the 4 star developmental guys that Archie is currently targeting and reeling in.

Of course. If the kid has a team orientated attitude...no doubt. No one wants an entitled prick. We want kids that want to excel and make it to the pros...but do it in the construct of our team and not just me first. There are many good one and dones that love their team and realize that them being their best and helping the team be successful will make them look the best and help them achieve their goal. As much as we give Duke grief over paying for Zion....Zion the teammate was perfect. Kid was a class act and played hard and never had a diva moment. He wanted to win and even when he could have gone anywhere and got 30 shots a game he sacrificed individually and in the end it made him an even bigger phenom.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m not trying to fight. What is the minimum requirement for you...2 years/3 years....what must they stay or you wouldn’t want them? Just want to know so I better understand you. 

I know some will develop and maybe leave after a year or two. What I don't care for is bringing in players who already know they are leaving before they even get on campus.  I at least want a ayer who stays 2 years but would rather be 3-4.  Those who  come in for 1 year has no desire to actually be a student and only have to go to class for a semester.  I know I am different but I care more than just wins and losses.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Great post and so true.  If you look back at 76, 81, and 87, those are elite talent recruits/players.  Scott’s point is well taken but back then they stayed awhile.  Times have changed but the facts haven’t...you need elite talent to go deep in the tournament. 

I have to admit I find it a little funny that we are debating loading up on “one and dones” when our 2021 class is currently ranked 76th just below Drake and just above UCF....LOL

There are only two one and done factories, Duke and UK, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. We have a great foundational base of talent but adding a one and done difference maker would really be helpful. Some on the board make it seem as though it is almost a certainty that one and dones are cancers on teams but, as much as I dislike Duke and UK, I don’t recall them having “stars” that ripped the teams apart. 

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Then stop using Romeo as part of your argument that CAM can recruit.

You talk around the topic instead of taking ownership of your opinion. 

I did not say he was talented and it shows.he can recruit. I don't understand your point here.  Just because I don't like one and done players had nothing to do with whether Archie can recruit or not.

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

I have to admit I find it a little funny that we are debating loading up on “one and dones” when our 2021 class is currently ranked 76th just below Drake and just above UCF....LOL

There are only two one and done factories, Duke and UK, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. We have a great foundational base of talent but adding a one and done difference maker would really be helpful. Some on the board make it seem as though it is almost a certainty that one and dones are cancers on teams but, as much as I dislike Duke and UK, I don’t recall them having “stars” that ripped the teams apart. 

And what two programs are always in the National championship picture.  Even with freshman.  High level talent matters. 

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Of course. If the kid has a team orientated attitude...no doubt. No one wants an entitled prick. We want kids that want to excel and make it to the pros...but do it in the construct of our team and not just me first. There are many good one and dones that love their team and realize that them being their best and helping the team be successful will make them look the best and help them achieve their goal. As much as we give Duke grief over paying for Zion....Zion the teammate was perfect. Kid was a class act and played hard and never had a diva moment. He wanted to win and even when he could have gone anywhere and got 30 shots a game he sacrificed individually and in the end it made him an even bigger phenom.

I agree that if the come in with the right attitude it will help.  I guess I have seen to many times where one and done players had not worked out well. I can't remember to many teams have success with it except for Duke or UK where they have multiple top players.  I see teams like LSU and Washington where it has not brought winning.

3 minutes ago, goonaha said:

We did get the Aaron Henry type. Their names were Jerome Hunter and Damezi Anderson. Unfortunately Damezi didn't pan out and Jerome had a rare leg condition that has set his development back. Archie did exactly what you wanted, he just happened to not get the exact right guy.

Exactly. We didn’t pass up on Henry to get Romeo. It wasn’t one or the other that is just dumb. We took other players at his position. Romeo didn’t steal anyone’s spot. Heck we barely dress 10 scholarship players now. We aren’t missing out on any 3-4 star kids because we took Romeo or might get Aminu. We have plenty of scholarships. Even if we use 2 for OAD or two and done kids that leave 10 more. We have more spots than we can fill because you can’t keep 12 kids happy for 4 years with playing time. Impossible in this day and age. That is why you a OAD etc isn’t a big deal because kids can see that kid moving on and getting his minutes while you develop. I appreciate everyone’s opinion but hard to believe that we should turn down the best kids because they don’t fit the out dated narrative of student athlete. We are well past that. We are on the verge of letting these kids get paid to play...these kids are mostly pretty far from a typical student. They are much closer to a paid employee then a student. I might miss the old days too but they aren’t coming back. You adapt or get left behind like Michigan football. Smash mouth football and pro style offense...please...pros are turning to college spread RPO and Michigan is going back....no wonder they are now behind IU in the standings.

7 minutes ago, Threedom said:

And what two programs are always in the National championship picture.  Even with freshman.  High level talent matters. 

How many championships have they won since they started the one and done practice. Each win 1 championship which is less than Villanova and tied with UVA.  I just think as a fan I would be more proud and find it a bigger accomplishment by winning like Villanova did over how UK does it.

Archived