Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

38 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Throwing in my completely ignorant opinion about recruitment in general.  If a program is going to have a small class, say 2-3 players, and one of those players is a OAD, than your program is at real risk of having unbalanced classes.  I think we have all witnessed how unbalanced classes create inconsistency from year-to-year. This maybe okay if the oscillations swing from Final Four contended to rebuild mode and back every 4-5 years. However, this really never happens. It is more like top three in conference with a Sweet 16 run, to missing the tournament.  I don't think anyone wants this, because this has been what we have been for so long now.  

Again, the staff knows what they are doing, especially with respect to my dumb opinion.  However, the thought of a small class that gets smaller after 1-2 years is the type of reasonable issue to discuss on a fan forum.  

BTW-I haven't been on here much and am having a hard time being as excited about recruiting and the season.  I think the prospect of canceling the season and the general unknown of the future dampens my enthusiasm. I hope everyone is doing well and are excited about the season as always.

I don't dismiss this entirely, but the transfer rules have changed things dramatically, especially for this year and likely going forward. Having open spots is essential. Granted, we will have to win to convince people to come, but I think the worry about unbalanced classes has gone away.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't dismiss this entirely, but the transfer rules have changed things dramatically, especially for this year and likely going forward. Having open spots is essential. Granted, we will have to win to convince people to come, but I think the worry about unbalanced classes has gone away.

You're right, I wasn't considering the transfer rule changes. 

5 hours ago, IUDan93 said:

Throwing in my completely ignorant opinion about recruitment in general.  If a program is going to have a small class, say 2-3 players, and one of those players is a OAD, than your program is at real risk of having unbalanced classes.  I think we have all witnessed how unbalanced classes create inconsistency from year-to-year. This maybe okay if the oscillations swing from Final Four contended to rebuild mode and back every 4-5 years. However, this really never happens. It is more like top three in conference with a Sweet 16 run, to missing the tournament.  I don't think anyone wants this, because this has been what we have been for so long now.  

Again, the staff knows what they are doing, especially with respect to my dumb opinion.  However, the thought of a small class that gets smaller after 1-2 years is the type of reasonable issue to discuss on a fan forum.  

BTW-I haven't been on here much and am having a hard time being as excited about recruiting and the season.  I think the prospect of canceling the season and the general unknown of the future dampens my enthusiasm. I hope everyone is doing well and are excited about the season as always.

So I think what helps is the fact this is a free year where normally it wouldn’t be. So we will have Leal, Geronimo, and Galloway for 5 years instead of 4. Also Race probably too because I don’t expect him to go pro.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I didn't understand the current freshmen getting an extra year...only the players here last year?

I was listening to the head coach from SLU talking on radio today and he discussed this being a free year for everyone including the freshmen. Covid is affecting this season more than last. Last season it was just the tourney.

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I didn't understand the current freshmen getting an extra year...only the players here last year?

My guess is they don't want players to worry about half of their games being canceled and thus losing a year of eligibility for not that many games. Better to have them just play any chance they get and know that it won't cost them in the future.

On 11/25/2020 at 12:50 PM, BDB said:

FCTC has to be appealing for a guard like AM.  With D-Wade, VO and now the doctor from ER.  He’s accumulating quit resume of putting guards in the league.  I bet AM guardian is licking his chops after visiting with FCTC.

Or, unclogging his toilet! 🤣

On 11/26/2020 at 11:59 AM, IUDan93 said:

Good to see you posting Dan and nothing dumb in your question / points. Class balance is certainly important to sustained growth / performance. I do think the way CAM is recruiting so far is well geared to class balance with tough competitors who come in game smart and proven but mostly are not one and done types.
Class size is something to watch but it should include who the team already has, how many are expected to return and play significant minutes and at what positions, and whether the team is looking at bringing in transfers. The transfer rules will complicate things, but something to watch going forward 

On 11/26/2020 at 5:19 PM, IUfaninIllinois said:

So I think what helps is the fact this is a free year where normally it wouldn’t be. So we will have Leal, Geronimo, and Galloway for 5 years instead of 4. Also Race probably too because I don’t expect him to go pro.

One interesting result of this wacky year is that we will probably see, at least in the short term, a return of sorts to old school deep  experienced college b-ball teams. 

• bluegrassIU changed the title to Aminu Mohammed announcing 12/15.

Archived