Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

19 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Yes but he goes to the basket and scores most if his points in the lane.

Well the teams Muhammad is looking at are not doing great   I have not seen any scored from Georgia. We just laid an egg and Georgetown lost today to Navy.  I think KSU is 0-2 so it appears we are still doing better than the other teams.

And better today 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...even though they have no scholarship to give him.  Dumb article.

I posted something last week from a rivals guy ranking where the thinks he would go. It had UGA as 1 and IU 2.  Even though he mentioned it is a good chance that Muhammad would enroll in January.  He never mentioned that UGA has no scholarships for this year so they can't offer a scholarship.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I posted something last week from a rivals guy ranking where the thinks he would go. It had UGA as 1 and IU 2.  Even though he mentioned it is a good chance that Muhammad would enroll in January.  He never mentioned that UGA has no scholarships for this year so they can't offer a scholarship.

I think Aminu is smarter than paying his own way in January to play for Georgia.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Next year, yes.  He won't have one for a January enrollment...no way around that.

I know it isn't as good for IU, but if I was his guardian I would let him know to choose where he really wants to go, scholarships or not, and "pay" his way for one semester if necessary. There's a good enough chance that he will play pro ball (NBA or elsewhere) in the future that would easily cover the cost.

That being said, is there any NCAA rule that doesn't allow him to get a scholarship if he pays his own way at 1st?

17 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I know it isn't as good for IU, but if I was his guardian I would let him know to choose where he really wants to go, scholarships or not, and "pay" his way for one semester if necessary. There's a good enough chance that he will play pro ball (NBA or elsewhere) in the future that would easily cover the cost.

That being said, is there any NCAA rule that doesn't allow him to get a scholarship if he pays his own way at 1st?

I believe you can pay then earn a scholarship. You see coaches giving walk-ons scollies ever year. 

26 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Scholarships are year by year. This means that a player can pay one year then be on scholarship the next. Or the school can take away the scholarship and the player would have to pay the next (this doesn't happen because the player will transfer or not play). This second one is a common Crean tactic to open up scholarships. IU's Student-Athlete Bill of Rights would allow them to remain on scholarship even if they no longer participate in the sport if they don't transfer.

Being by year also means that a scholarship is a year long commitment by the school l even if the player leaves which is why Crean wouldn't be able to magically make one available before January.

11 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Also knowing he’s up against IU, I wonder how much, if any, negative recruiting comes from CTC about IU.  I imagine some coaches trash other schools constantly, but I wonder in this specific case.  

For the negatives Crean brings to the table, slimy recruiting doesn't seem like it would be one of them.  I think he recruits very hard and I think he's a rah rah I'll get you to the NBA guy, but it's hard to imagine him trashing other schools to a recruit.  That's one of the positives for him in my book.  I'd hate to find out it wasn't.

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

For the negatives Crean brings to the table, slimy recruiting doesn't seem like it would be one of them.  I think he recruits very hard and I think he's a rah rah I'll get you to the NBA guy, but it's hard to imagine him trashing other schools to a recruit.  That's one of the positives for him in my book.  I'd hate to find out it wasn't.

Don’t disagree at all.  He rebuilt IU from the bottom and did it the right way and without any trouble.  He deserves credit for that. 

now ... if he only brought a plunger on in-home visits and knew how to beat a zone .... 🤣

Archived