Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

I posted this earlier in this thread but I think it's worth posting again about looking at it from a profit point of view.

Looking at this year's draft salaries (link below), each lottery position is worth at least $150k per year than the position below low it. The higher in the draft one goes, the greater the difference gets. 

So looking at it that way, if paying for a single semester improves his draft stock by even a single position, he'd earn that money back several times over. Even improving from #30 to #29 would probably be a slight net gain or maybe just breaking even over the duration of the contract.

So if he believes he'll improve his draft position by going to one school, it could make sense for him to pay for that semester. And it would probably make more sense for him to do that than stay in HS for another semester.

This isn't even taking into account the NIL money that will be available next season. Crean might be selling him on that as a way to basically pay him back on that semester.

So he'll probably choose Georgia and the Creaning today is to show him he'll definitely have a scholarship next season.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

What a joke if he chooses Georgia. Maybe it’s just me but I feel like if I was a recruit and the coach was desperately trying to run someone off the team for me MIDSEASON, it would turn me off. I wouldn’t want to play for coach who treats his players like they are so easily disposable.

The thing is if Muhammad pays his own way he wouldn't need to run players off

If we lose Muhammad it just makes you wonder what has happened.  The last 3 classes we got the majority of the guys we went after hard.  Now it would be like 1 for 5 so I wondering why.  It is not like we have been horrible and have improved every year.  Maybe kids don't like the defensive minded coach that Archie is but those other classes new this as well.  Also maybe it is how our offense had looked but at Dayton Archie's offense was pretty good.

Just now, IU Scott said:

If we lose Muhammad it just makes you wonder what has happened.  The last 3 classes we got the majority of the guys we went after hard.  Now it would be like 1 for 5 so I wondering why.  It is not like we have been horrible and have improved every year.  Maybe kids don't like the defensive minded coach that Archie is but those other classes new this as well.  Also maybe it is how our offense had looked but at Dayton Archie's offense was pretty good.

Also just because one writer from Georgia picks UGA doesn't mean anything

Just now, IU Scott said:

The thing is if Muhammad pays his own way he wouldn't need to run players off

Right.  The "Creaning" does zero for a spring scholarship.  What it does do is tell Aminu there is one less player to complete with for playing time next season.

Hard for me to see a kid trying to create a marquee brand choosing Georgia basketball over IU.  Anthony Edwards makes more sense...he was local and Crean promised him free reign (I assume), but if I'm a five-star wanting maximum basketball exposure, why would I choose a football school?  I don't see Georgia being invited to the Maui Invitational, especially if Crean sends video of himself shooting free throws.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I was reading on this transfer and Crean signed 7 players for the 2019 class (including this kid). He’s now the 4th player in that class to transfer. If you want to question what is going on at IU, a recruit should do the same w/Georgia. 

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Right.  The "Creaning" does zero for a spring scholarship.  What it does do is tell Aminu there is one less player to complete with for playing time next season.

Hard for me to see a kid trying to create a marquee brand choosing Georgia basketball over IU.  Anthony Edwards makes more sense...he was local and Crean promised him free reign (I assume), but if I'm a five-star wanting maximum basketball exposure, why would I choose a football school?  I don't see Georgia being invited to the Maui Invitational, especially if Crean sends video of himself shooting free throws.

They were in Maui.ladt year

1 minute ago, Hoosierdave said:

I was reading on this transfer and Crean signed 7 players for the 2019 class (including this kid). He’s now the 4th player in that class to transfer. If you want to question what is going on at IU, a recruit should do the same w/Georgia. 

Wow that is a terrible stat and sounds like our 2012 class.  Also did Muhammad's guardian say anything about Georgia's game last night.  It seems like he had tweeted a lot of good things during our games 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

The first few classes recruits might give the benefit of the doubt. After 3 seasons they probably look more at the actual results which haven't been pretty. 2 of the recruits specifically mentioned the offense. 

Remember, the recruits don't have the bias of fans. They're also choosing the school at which they think they'll prosper the most and will help them in the long run. Which players have made significant jumps under Miller? Morgan made a really good improvement in Miller's first season, but does he get credit for that or does Crean? Maybe Morgan himself? We haven't seen that type of improvement from other players.

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

The first few classes recruits might give the benefit of the doubt. After 3 seasons they probably look more at the actual results which haven't been pretty. 2 of the recruits specifically mentioned the offense. 

Remember, the recruits don't have the bias of fans. They're also choosing the school at which they think they'll prosper the most and will help them in the long run. Which players have made significant jumps under Miller? Morgan made a really good improvement in Miller's first season, but does he get credit for that or does Crean? Maybe Morgan himself? We haven't seen that type of improvement from other players.

Oh I'd beg to differ.  Many players showed improvement.  Look at Al's 3-point percentage for example.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Oh I'd beg to differ.  Many players showed improvement.  Look at Al's 3-point percentage for example.

Okay, that's one other example in a single facet of Durham's game. He's still not a dominate player and even many of the fans on this site didn't think he should be a starter entering this season. So that seems more of a natural progression rather than the amazing work of the coach.

2 hours ago, Bustout said:

Don’t disagree at all.  He rebuilt IU from the bottom and did it the right way and without any trouble.  He deserves credit for that. 

now ... if he only brought a plunger on in-home visits and knew how to beat a zone .... 🤣

If you could take the best things about Crean and the best about Archie....you may have a coach as good as our best coach....maybe.

Here me out here and look at the last 3 coaches who were here for awhile.  To me if you look back at Davis, Crean and Miller and they started out well recruiting and then started to go down.  I wouldn't say Miller is totally going down yet but just looking at the coaches.  Some will say that recruits probably just saw the coach and you got to know them better. You could also say the first few years those coaches still had the fans behind them.  Is it a coinensedence or is it a pattern that once the fans started turning on the coaches is when recruiting started going down.

18 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Okay, that's one other example in a single facet of Durham's game. He's still not a dominate player and even many of the fans on this site didn't think he should be a starter entering this season. So that seems more of a natural progression rather than the amazing work of the coach.

How about Race and Franklin because they are way better this year compared to last year.

6 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

I posted positive things after the game yesterday 

If you can't take a couple of humorous GIF's about the current state of our recruiting, then you need thicker skin.

There is a lot of fans that are living in denial. One negative comment and their whole world comes crumbling down.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Here me out here and look at the last 3 coaches who were here for awhile.  To me if you look back at Davis, Crean and Miller and they started out well recruiting and then started to go down.  I wouldn't say Miller is totally going down yet but just looking at the coaches.  Some will say that recruits probably just saw the coach and you got to know them better. You could also say the first few years those coaches still had the fans behind them.  Is it a coinensedence or is it a pattern that once the fans started turning on the coaches is when recruiting started going down.

Why do you want to blame us the fans instead of putting the blame on the person responsible. It’s like battered wife syndrome  or whatever it’s called...you will blame anyone and everyone but the one responsible. Archie will succeed or not on his own accord. I hope he succeeds but man he is making it so very very difficult on himself.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well our best coach ever and one of the best all time thinks highly of Archie and endorsed him.

He also endorsed Donald Trump...like him or hate him 50% of people would disagree with Coach Knight.  I love Coach Knights coaching...do I trust his opinion still today despite his failing mental condition...ehh less so.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why do you want to blame us the fans instead of putting the blame on the person responsible. It’s like battered wife syndrome  or whatever it’s called...you will blame anyone and everyone but the one responsible. Archie will succeed or not on his own accord. I hope he succeeds but man he is making it so very very difficult on himself.

I am not blaming them but it just starts looking like a pattern so maybe it is isn't just about coaches.

29 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

I posted positive things after the game yesterday 

If you can't take a couple of humorous GIF's about the current state of our recruiting, then you need thicker skin.

Congratulations. 

My skin is fine. I've only seen you post negative gifs randomly several times. Usually dealing with turds so I mistook you for a Turdue troll but figured I'd ask instead of assuming.

I'll go cry myself to sleep now...

Archived