Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Not arguing here but is that the ones who are stuck in 1980 college basketball or the ones that have adapted to the modern way the NCAA is run?

Have nothing to do with that but there are more outlets for the idiots to come out and make fools of themselves.  I also think there are a lot of people who did not grow up on IU basketball and just became fans when they got to IU.  I think those fans might not be as knowledge about IU basketball and don't have the invested interest in IU basketball.  Also these fans might be more likely to worry only about wins and losses and not the process to get there.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

No, but he obviously thought his use and improvement would be better there than under Miller.

I'm confused about which Miller deficiency we are debating. Does Kaufman not want to play in the NBA?  If he does. He'd been better off at Georgia.

20 minutes ago, BDB said:

Alright, hear me out here.  I believe Indiana, has a self pro-claimed themselves as the most knowledgeable fans of the game.  The state of Indiana has the best high school coaches in all the US.  What do both of them have in common?  They both gave up on Mike Davis and Tom Crean.   Archie has yet to be determined, however, there is a lot of work to do there.

You know something I’m wondering about Is Indiana folks consider Indiana HS kids some of the best in the country...yet we have a roster full of mr basketballs and top recruits in the state and we are a middle of the pack team. I’m beginning to think just like IU basketball the rest of the country is improving their kids/teams at a faster rate then Indiana kids. I heard if we lock down the state we will get back to our old winning ways. Something just doesn’t add up. It’s why I really want to land some of these kids like Aminu...kid is special whether he played in Indiana or not. We need his kind of talent.

Just now, dgambill said:

You know something I’m wondering about Is Indiana folks consider Indiana HS kids some of the best in the country...yet we have a roster full of mr basketballs and top recruits in the state and we are a middle of the pack team. I’m beginning to think just like IU basketball the rest of the country is improving their kids/teams at a faster rate then Indiana kids. I heard if we lock down the state we will get back to our old winning ways. Something just doesn’t add up. It’s why I really want to land some of these kids like Aminu...kid is special whether he played in Indiana or not. We need his kind of talent.

If you look most of the top recruits have been coming from Texas and California and other so called football states.  I don't think that perception is as accurate as it once was.  It was that Indiana kids are more fundamental and I don't know if that is the case any longer. The coaches in the state are getting younger and ate teaching the game they were brought up on and that is not the same as the old coaches in the state.

I have went to high school games and I see the same offense we see on TV every day and it is mainly ball screens and dribble drive.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm confused about which Miller deficiency we are debating. Does Kaufman not want to play in the NBA?  If he does. He'd been better off at Georgia.

Improvement for a top 40 player likely translates into NBA. I agree that IU has sent more players to the NBA than Purdue. So it's telling to me that Kaufman thought that was a better route than through IU. But you're probably right, it's despite Miller's obvious success at developing players so it must be some other reason.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The thing is if we could get all the top Indiana players I think we would be fine.  Also the difference is that unlike the past kids leave early which hurts the depth. Just think what this team would look like if everyone stayed like they use to.

Romeo

TJD

Lander

Kaufman

RP

Franklin

That would be a making of a very good team but all of those players will all at together

4 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Improvement for a top 40 player likely translates into NBA. I agree that IU has sent more players to the NBA than Purdue. So it's telling to me that Kaufman thought that was a better route than through IU. But you're probably right, it's despite Miller's obvious success at developing players so it must be some other reason.

Swanigan came to Purdue higher rated and he had not done a thing in the pros

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

IU has developed more NBA talent then Purdue but has Miller developed more NBA talent then Painter?? Morgan was just as much developed by Crean and well Romeo was a lottery pick before he got here so you could say the same we say about Cal with him. I see Trayce developing so that’s good. Now look at Painters history. He has put guys into the nba...they’ve mostly failed there but they got there. You can also look at guys at Treys position (3 is what he wants to be) and Painter has developed guys at that position. Archie....still waiting on our 3. I could make the case Painter has shown more then Archie (albeit over a longer tenure).

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

IU has developed more NBA talent then Purdue but has Miller developed more NBA talent then Painter?? Morgan was just as much developed by Crean and well Romeo was a lottery pick before he got here so you could say the same we say about Cal with him. I see Trayce developing so that’s good. Now look at Painters history. He has put guys into the nba...they’ve mostly failed there but they got there. You can also look at guys at Treys position (3 is what he wants to be) and Painter has developed guys at that position. Archie....still waiting on our 3. I could make the case Painter has shown more then Archie (albeit over a longer tenure).

Morgan to me was so much better his two years with Archie than he was under Crean.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is if we could get all the top Indiana players I think we would be fine.  Also the difference is that unlike the past kids leave early which hurts the depth. Just think what this team would look like if everyone stayed like they use to.

Romeo

TJD

Lander

Kaufman

RP

Franklin

That would be a making of a very good team but all of those players will all at together

But that is looking with 1980 colored glasses. Kids don’t stay...so you need to compensate with out of state studs to replace the ones you lose. We aren’t doing that fast enough to keep up. By the time Lander is up to speed Trayce is gone and by the time the next comes in Lander is gone. To win at a really high level I’m thinking you are going to have to stack some pretty special classes back to back back and that ain’t happening.

9 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

So which top 40 player did Archie fail to develop for the NBA?

As an aside, I fail to see how your argument here is in any way helpful to the the recruiting success of the program you profess to love?

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Morgan to me was so much better his two years with Archie than he was under Crean.

Well that was his junior an senior season so duh lol...but did the work that was done in freshman and sophomore have him already prepared to take that natural next step? Hard for me to say. I think we all knew coming into his junior year he was developing into something special and Archie had a good kid to work with.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Oh, I agree with you and it could be argued Romeo's draft stock actually dropped during his time at IU but I'm tired of arguing with FKIM01 and IU Scott so I'll just agree with them that Miller is doing a great job developing players and it's a total mystery why he's no longer winning these recruiting battles. Kaufman, M. Miller, and possibly Mohammed just don't know good basketball when they see it.

Just now, dgambill said:

But that is looking with 1980 colored glasses. Kids don’t stay...so you need to compensate with out of state studs to replace the ones you lose. We aren’t doing that fast enough to keep up. By the time Lander is up to speed Trayce is gone and by the time the next comes in Lander is gone. To win at a really high level I’m thinking you are going to have to stack some pretty special classes back to back back and that ain’t happening.

Agree but I am willing to let it play out before making a final judgement. I am not do this just to back Archie because he wasn't on the top of my list to begin with.  I am willing to back whoever the coach is until he is no longer the coach or breaks the rules.

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Oh, I agree with you and it could be argued Romeo's draft stock actually dropped during his time at IU but I'm tired of arguing with FKIM01 and IU Scott so I'll just agree with them that Miller is doing a great job developing players and it's a total mystery why he's no longer winning these recruiting battles. Kaufman, M. Miller, and possibly Mohammed just don't know good basketball when they see it.

Why not look at something besides coaches because there is a pattern the last 20 years and 4 coaches.

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

It goes back further than that though. Those misses along with Furst, Patterson, Hopkins, Longino would hurt us in the future. The Hurts, Garland, Brooks, Garcia, Watford, Bouknights and others is what had set us back to this point. I know we couldn’t land all those kids but we needed to get a share of them to go with what we got locally if we wanted to field a special team.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Agree but I am willing to let it play out before making a final judgement. I am not do this just to back Archie because he wasn't on the top of my list to begin with.  I am willing to back whoever the coach is until he is no longer the coach or breaks the rules.

I respect that. I support Archie 100%. I don’t want another coaching change...but that doesn’t stop me from voicing my concerns about the program that i see taking place. Hopefully things take a real turn around and maybe those practice shooting stars show up in the ball games and my concerns are void!

7 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

TK-wanted smaller stage

Miller-looked at Galloway, Franklin, Geronimo, Leal, Hunter....maybe Al...shoot even Race and thought minutes aren't given because of competition. 

Mohammed-good luck to the kid....but his handlers are the types that call 5 minutes after a game wondering when the kid is going to get his looks. Crean can offer that right now. Archie is trying to get control of the program. 2 different operations right now.

Just not sure why so many point to this class when it's obvious we are stacking depth. Add a transfer and load up in 2022. To my in my 5 cent opinion the only one that hurts in this is TK and he chose a different platform for a few reasons. It happens. 

48 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Good lord, people. I'm making this argument in the context of a 5* recruit looking to maximize his draft potential and the examples of improvement you pull up for Miller are Durham, Franklin, and Thompson? Seriously?

They are all players that I am happy are here and Frozone is one of my favorite players on the team. Thompson and Franklin look good so far this year in the small sample size we have. None of them are probably All-Conference level much less NBA level. 

Do you need a side by side comparison of Crean and Miller draft picks? My point is that Crean has a MUCH better track record of getting players drafted highly. I believe that is what will be the deciding factor in this recruitment. I could be wrong, and I certainly hope I am because that wouldn't bode well for IU's chance here.

Edit: I see Phinisee is now included. The above applies to him as well, as his amount of improvement is not going to convince a 5* recruit.

I get what you are selling, and you may be right. However, I see very little development in 5* recruits. (They are on campus such a short time) If you are in the top 15 in the class, it really does not matter which power5 school you attend. The NBA selects on potential and you are going to get selected (barring something stupid) so why pay anything? I think athletes are realizing this which is why you see kids choosing Vandy or LSU...(besides the extra money). Players who are not 5* tend to stay a couple years so you see growth( which is why everyone listed our current roster. You are right Crean has more names he can use, but most were not 5* and stayed in school longer than a year and had time to develop). I have seen very little evidence that one year under a coach greatly improves a player. Cal does very little player develop (He does get great athletes to play as a team and gets the benefit of playing in a weaker conference which guarantees 16 wins a year which helps with tournament seating and a easy first game. Every player ranked higher than 15 will get recruited over and become a role player or transfer. If this young man is truly a OAD then exposure may out weight development, because there is likely very little on court development. I would think the strength coach would have a better impact on the young man....... and I think Indiana has the best strength coach. Since no one reads anything longer than 3 sentences I will stop and say Go Hoosiers! I really enjoy reading everyone's input.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It goes back further than that though. Those misses along with Furst, Patterson, Hopkins, Longino would hurt us in the future. The Hurts, Garland, Brooks, Garcia, Watford, Bouknights and others is what had set us back to this point. I know we couldn’t land all those kids but we needed to get a share of them to go with what we got locally if we wanted to field a special team.

My question is, how do we as fans help the staff recruit these kind of players?  The coaches have the most influence but I have always believed the we as fans also had a small role in helping our favorite program recruit the kind of players IU needs to be successful. 

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

My question is, how do we as fans help the staff recruit these kind of players?  The coaches have the most influence but I have always believed the we as fans also had a small role in helping our favorite program recruit the kind of players IU needs to be successful. 

It you are a uk fan, you donate money   

Archived