Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Hulls and Blackmon were limited defensively big time! Hulls’ effort was much better so I could deal with some lapses occasionally in exchange for his shooting. Blackmon on the other hand was flat out awful on D. D is largely an effort thing and I don’t think Blackmon had any interest in trying to be better on that end. No thanks.

Yeah...as good a shooter as JB was, I don't want any more of those at IU getting anything more than spot minutes.

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah...as good a shooter as JB was, I don't want any more of those at IU getting anything more than spot minutes.

There has to be some middle ground here.  Through 5 games Indiana has made 21 three point shots this year while shooting 28.8%.  JBJ through 5 games each of his years at Indiana - 18 made 3 pointers at 64%, 17 made at 50%, and 18 made at 46%.  We don't have a shooter in the same stratosphere on our current roster. 

4 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

There has to be some middle ground here.  Through 5 games Indiana has made 21 three point shots this year while shooting 28.8%.  JBJ through 5 games each of his years at Indiana - 18 made 3 pointers at 64%, 17 made at 50%, and 18 made at 46%.  We don't have a shooter in the same stratosphere on our current roster. 

Let’s just find one that wants to play D too. I don’t have much respect for Blackmon. D is a “want to” thing and he had none of it.

3 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Agree. There is literally nobody on this team that I trust to get a bucket in a 1-2pt game with 20 seconds left. I'm not saying we can't score in that situation, there's just nobody I feel confident in doing it. 

Also, there are scorers/shooters that also play defense that exist. It's a real thing. As a Celtics fans I'll mention Payton Pritchard, who Crean tried to recruit. The kid is a scorer/shooter who is a pitbull on defense. A few kids from Villanova's title runs come to mind as well. It's possible to recruit kids that can both play defense and shoot. 

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Let’s just find one that wants to play D too. I don’t have much respect for Blackmon. D is a “want to” thing and he had none of it.

I agree, he was lazy on the defensive end.  But let's not get it twisted, the guy was a scorer and would be very valuable to one of Archie's teams.  Just average defense from a guy that shoots like him would increase our overall team efficiency.  

19 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

I agree, he was lazy on the defensive end.  But let's not get it twisted, the guy was a scorer and would be very valuable to one of Archie's teams.  Just average defense from a guy that shoots like him would increase our overall team efficiency.  

It’ll be interesting to see how Hunter develops. He’ll never be as good as JBJ shooting, but he could be IUs best shooter this year.  His D has struggled early, bad fouls, etc. and took a few games to find his rhythm.   Then after hitting a few shots, he didn’t come back in. 

Today is a perfect game for Hunter to get back into a flow. If Brunk is out for season, the front court will be thin - so Hunter may be asked to play more 4 this year.  But he can also play the 3 and take Treys minutes (exchanging defense for offense). 

20 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

It’s also a coach thing. You set your expectations by what you emphasize. If you never emphasize anything on the defensive end. Never hold anyone accountable for their lapses you will get lazy players. Kids don’t want to come out...don’t want to be bad at something but if they are told and emphasized one role one thing they are going to think you are happy with just that. My job is to score...to shoot. That’s my role on this team. Crean didn’t emphasize any fundamentals...not ball security, entry passing, nor defensive intensity. He emphasized scoring. A kid is only going to be as good as he is coached. Defense is not something that comes automatically to many many kids. I have no doubt Archie would get a kid like that and at least get him in the right places. Right position...and hold him accountable when he isn’t giving effort. He may never have quickness and athleticism to keep his man in front of him or shut guys down but no doubt I think Archie can teach a kid to be serviceable. With a special shooter like JBJ you can live with that because he will always provide more than he gives up. Crean not only let his effort defensively be the way it was but encouraged it by not setting him straight. I have no doubt he felt that he was better off saving his legs and energy for the offensive end.

6 minutes ago, Bustout said:

It’ll be interesting to see how Hunter develops. He’ll never be as good as JBJ shooting, but he could be IUs best shooter this year.  His D has struggled early, bad fouls, etc. and took a few games to find his rhythm.   Then after hitting a few shots, he didn’t come back in. 

Today is a perfect game for Hunter to get back into a flow. If Brunk is out for season, the front court will be thin - so Hunter may be asked to play more 4 this year.  But he can also play the 3 and take Treys minutes (exchanging defense for offense). 

I think he could play the 3...but I don’t think we will see that at all this year unless Archies hands are forced. We have Rob, Khristian, Al, Armaan, Trey, Leal to play those minutes. I think Jordan, Hunter, Race, and Trayce are exclusively 4/5 at this point.

With Brunk out I think Jordan and Hunter see lots of minutes at the 4.

50 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

In college D is partially a want to thing. Crean didn’t coach defense so he didn’t worry about it. There was an article I read last year when Nassir Little was struggling at UNC and he talked about how much college defense was understanding angles and technical things that he struggled with early on. There’s much more to it in college than just wanting to play D. 

32 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I agree with your comments on Hunter.  But dollars to doughnuts he didn’t play because he had a horrific turnover very reminiscent of the one that blew the Maryland game late.  He needs to tighten that up if he wants to be trusted.  There is a reason he didn’t get minutes late and it’s not because the coaches are dumb.  

3 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

I'd be hard-pressed to call JBJ even an average defender and career-wise, he was a 41.5% 3-pt shooter.  Very good, but I'd argue that a 37% shooter that played good defense is more valuable.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree with your comments on Hunter.  But dollars to doughnuts he didn’t play because he had a horrific turnover very reminiscent of the one that blew the Maryland game late.  He needs to tighten that up if he wants to be trusted.  There is a reason he didn’t get minutes late and it’s not because the coaches are dumb.  

Yes. I don’t think they’re dumb at all.  I’m all in on Archie. 

Archived