Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Didn't say they did not have 5 star players but they weren't top 10 players either.  They also had guys stayed at least 3 years even though some were 5 stars

Just FYI:  2009 had 4 top 10 guys, 6 total top 20. 2017 had 5 in the top 25.

I was trying to imply that the common denominator was that they won both championships behind a core of 5-star upperclassmen. That’s the part that I don’t think is replicable. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/Undecided-five-star-Aminu-Mohammed-starts-season-with-a-bang-Indiana-Georgia-Georgetown-Kansas-State-Texas-156345270/Amp/

I think this is a good article and helps explain his early college entry scenario. Basically if his season gets shut down because of Covid he will enroll early.  Otherwise he will finish his season. So I don’t think the kid cares if a scholarship is available this year so much so I think that is why all schools are still on his list because he is still looking at 2021 to play ball.

Just now, IUBBx5Banners said:

Just FYI:  2009 had 4 top 10 guys, 6 total top 20. 2017 had 5 in the top 25.

I was trying to imply that the common denominator was that they won both championships behind a core of 5-star upperclassmen. That’s the part that I don’t think is replicable. 

Yep how Roy got them all to stay is pretty rare. 

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Anyone referring to the early "singing" period clearly knows nothing. Odd that a writer tied to The Hoosier wouldn't be better researched but it's written like a Fansided piece.

No, Georgia does not have an open scholarship for the 2nd semester.  (Welcome aboard)

There is a very good reason for that.

https://hoosierstateofmind.com/author/alasley/

This is junior year HS. The games at Missouri State were against oak hill and several other top teams in the country...obviously lesser competition hard to tell but he had games against the best prep schools in the country too. 

https://thebasketballmovement.com/blog/tag/Tournament+of+Champions
Read this article and look at his stats against elite talent. Kid was all tournament team and was unstoppable. Impressive and those aren’t cupcakes those teams are full of D1 talent.

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Which are we talking about...his AAU competition or HS? Because his AAU work was very impressive playing on a top 3 team in the country. His tape is impressive...not sure what others are seeing but I see a special kid.

HS. Not saying he’s not a good player at all.   Not sure anyone is, just some won’t be upset if we miss out on him.

15 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

HS. Not saying he’s not a good player at all.   Not sure anyone is, just some won’t be upset if we miss out on him.

I personally don’t really understand the HS comment.

How is his situation any different than say Caleb Furst? Furst also played against lower competition in 2A and put up monster stats like Aminu yet I don’t remember anyone voicing concerns over Furst’s level of competition... 

6 minutes ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

How is his situation any different than say Caleb Furst? Furst also played against lower competition in 2A and put up monster stats like Aminu yet I don’t remember anyone voicing concerns over Furst’s level of competition... 

he’s from Indiana...the holy grail of basketball don’t you know. I love Indiana HS basketball as I grew up on it and love the atmosphere and games but having lived out of the state for almost as many as in I can tell you there is a ton of talent all over the country and even though it doesn’t get the same attention I’m not buying the message that our level of competition in the state is the best. Certainly there are some teams that play a loaded schedule but there are other areas of the country that has just as much if not better competition. In this case the level of HS outside of state tournament and these showcases is not great but just watch his AAU tape and tape against the elite HS competition. Those are from his junior year playing against senior top level kids and he more than held his own. Kid just has a motor!

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I’ve posted these before but I’ll update because they’ve been buried.

This is a year ago playing up a level in AAU.

I can see why some are not impressed, made to many lay ups, not enough dunks in his highlights. He also used the ball fake, just awful. :coffee: After watching our only signed players highlights against LN over the weekend we better sign a big man anyway. He isn't ready for the Big Ten.

38 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I can see why some are not impressed, made to many lay ups, not enough dunks in his highlights. He also used the ball fake, just awful. :coffee: After watching our only signed players highlights against LN over the weekend we better sign a big man anyway. He isn't ready for the Big Ten.

Yeah, if the attitude and work ethic are right, what are we losing if we have open schollies? Not like he’s a total project. 

16 hours ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

The Caleb Furst level of competition thing is just propaganda by people upset he didn't choose their school. I watched him take care of Keion Brooks Jr in his very first game as a freshman. He might be in 2A but he plays plenty of big schools.

This year, wins against, 4A NorthSide, 4A New Haven, 3A Silver Creek

Last year, wins against, NorthSide, New Haven, Culver, Columbus North, Chesterton, Dwenger, SouthSide, Marion, Northrop

Dude can ball and it sucks we missed out on him. Period. One bad AAU game against Logan does not make him overrated. 

35 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

The Caleb Furst level of competition thing is just propaganda by people upset he didn't choose their school. I watched him take care of Keion Brooks Jr in his very first game as a freshman. He might be in 2A but he plays plenty of big schools.

This year, wins against, 4A NorthSide, 4A New Haven, 3A Silver Creek

Last year, wins against, NorthSide, New Haven, Culver, Columbus North, Chesterton, Dwenger, SouthSide, Marion, Northrop

Dude can ball and it sucks we missed out on him. Period. One bad AAU game against Logan does not make him overrated. 

Slow down my man lol. I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Like Aminu, I think quite highly of Furst and IMO, it hasn’t been a legit criticism for either player in some time.

Both guys played in lower conferences and for some reason, this has been used wrongly as an argument against both, albeit more against AM than Furst in my experience.

I think a part of that is because local folks have had more opportunities to watch Furst and see that he’s clearly a top talent. My post right before was this trying to accomplish the same thing by showing AM’s performance against top level competition. 

I think HS competition can get a little overblown or overemphasized. The exception to this are those notable grindhouse conferences like the MIC that are head and shoulders above others. Nowadays, strong lower conference teams can assemble a decently competitive slate thru non-conference games, invitationals etc. 

2 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

Which is baffling if you look at our current guard play

I agree here. I know several aren't high on him, but I think he fits the mold of what Archie wants in a guard.  If you watch the tape he hustles, he goes after rebounds, and he attacks the rim.  I can envision a 3 headed monster next year of Aminu, Lander, and Rob going downhill on teams all game long.  They get the ball, go, and attack, attack, attack.  

I am not sold he is a one and done, just like many people thought Lander might be, but that isn't happening.  If he commits and stays for 2 or 3 years he could be a heck of a player for IU.

2 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Thank you

Back in the day we played against Muncie Central (#4 ranked), New Castle (#1 ranked) and Richmond who had Trent Smock (I.U. football) and Marty Lundy whose Dad was Lamar Lundy (Fearsome Foursome). The schools in that conference were big and talented almost every year. We beat Central and New Castle but couldn't handle Richmond. Too big and physical for a little old county school. 

Archived