Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

Back in the day we played against Muncie Central (#4 ranked), New Castle (#1 ranked) and Richmond who had Trent Smock (I.U. football) and Marty Lundy whose Dad was Lamar Lundy (Fearsome Foursome). The schools in that conference were big and talented almost every year. We beat Central and New Castle but couldn't handle Richmond. Too big and physical for a little old county school. 

We fed into the Richmond Regional loved playing there

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gnet550 said:

I agree here. I know several aren't high on him, but I think he fits the mold of what Archie wants in a guard.  If you watch the tape he hustles, he goes after rebounds, and he attacks the rim.  I can envision a 3 headed monster next year of Aminu, Lander, and Rob going downhill on teams all game long.  They get the ball, go, and attack, attack, attack.  

I am not sold he is a one and done, just like many people thought Lander might be, but that isn't happening.  If he commits and stays for 2 or 3 years he could be a heck of a player for IU.

Here's the question, what is his attitude if he ends up not being one and done? I know we can't really answer that, but that is what really matters IMO. 

I think the best way to build IU into a consistent contender is to recruit in that 15-80 range as much as possible, landing as many guys as you can that want to be one and done, probably won't be, and are ok sticking around to put in the work. 

You want as many Yogi's, Zeller's, Watford's, Bryant's, JBJ's, TJD's, Troy Williams', Juan Morgan's, Landers, Hunter's, etc, etc. (not that all of those guys thought they were one and done, but they were all top 80). 

Stack as many top 80 guys per class as possible and hope a good portion stick around 2-4 years. 

That's the UNC, MSU, etc., model. 

The question is, if Aminu comes and isn't a one and done is he just that much more motivated to work hard or does he become a problem?

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Here's the question, what is his attitude if he ends up not being one and done? I know we can't really answer that, but that is what really matters IMO. 

I think the best way to build IU into a consistent contender is to recruit in that 15-80 range as much as possible, landing as many guys as you can that want to be one and done, probably won't be, and are ok sticking around to put in the work. 

You want as many Yogi's, Zeller's, Watford's, Bryant's, JBJ's, TJD's, Troy Williams', Juan Morgan's, Landers, Hunter's, etc, etc. (not that all of those guys thought they were one and done, but they were all top 80). 

Stack as many top 80 guys per class as possible and hope a good portion stick around 2-4 years. 

That's the UNC, MSU, etc., model. 

The question is, if Aminu comes and isn't a one and done is he just that much more motivated to work hard or does he become a problem?

I think he might be just fine motivation wise...my only pause has ever been is if the guardian would become overwhelming...I’m sure he has the best intentions but some comments come off as pretty aggressive. All and all I’d rather him come and we find out...if he gets mad the way transfer are now he could leave if he’s not willing to buy in. Obviously not ideal but kids have an easier path to “move on” if that’s what they want.

6 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I think he might be just fine motivation wise...my only pause has ever been is if the guardian would become overwhelming...I’m sure he has the best intentions but some comments come off as pretty aggressive. All and all I’d rather him come and we find out...if he gets mad the way transfer are now he could leave if he’s not willing to buy in. Obviously not ideal but kids have an easier path to “move on” if that’s what they want.

I agree. I would much rather roll the dice with talent of his level than not. With a shooter in the fold now I could really see Aminu complementing Lander, Rob, and Armaan. I worry about our size inside...you can’t replace a TJD but maybe just maybe we kill teams by a thousand little cuts.

I can’t comment on whether he’s a great teammate or selfish. I’d have no idea.  That’s for the coaching staff to decipher.  I will say those are deal breakers for me.  

Having said that, this kid wins me over because he’s tough and from what I’ve seen he has a strong motor.  His rebounding stats speak for themselves.  He might just be a tiger out there.  

If Archie is satisfied with his attitude, then I like what he brings to the table.  He also can go get a bucket. We haven’t had enough guys like that.  

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I can’t comment on whether he’s a great teammate or selfish. I’d have no idea.  That’s for the coaching staff to decipher.  I will say those are deal breakers for me.  

Having said that, this kid wins me over because he’s tough and from what I’ve seen he has a strong motor.  His rebounding stats speak for themselves.  He might just be a tiger out there.  

If Archie is satisfied with his attitude, then I like what he brings to the table.  He also can go get a bucket. We haven’t had enough guys like that.  

That is my point of view is if Archie wants him then as fans we should trust Archie.  I have seen a couple of interviews and he seems like a good kid

The thing about having good teammates makes your job easier. They get you the ball in good position to make the most of it, they draw attention creating driving lanes and open jumpers, and they make you look good by being in the right place offensively and defensively to either help you or score when you pass them the ball. It all works out. A rising tide raises all boats they say. I think Aminu is like Armaan...but bigger and stronger. Not sure why he wouldn’t fit our team. Couple years of him and Stewart would bridge that talent gap we have been lacking. Land those two and all I would want for Christmas is another big.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

The thing about having good teammates makes your job easier. They get you the ball in good position to make the most of it, they draw attention creating driving lanes and open jumpers, and they make you look good by being in the right place offensively and defensively to either help you or score when you pass them the ball. It all works out. A rising tide raises all boats they say. I think Aminu is like Armaan...but bigger and stronger. Not sure why he wouldn’t fit our team. Couple years of him and Stewart would bridge that talent gap we have been lacking. Land those two and all I would want for Christmas is another big.

If we are asking for a big man we should just ask for TJD to come back

6 hours ago, jefftheref said:

We never made it Richmond's gym. Played them in the 72 Regional final at New Castle. Those were the days. 

Being born and raised in Richmond, I appreciate the trip down memory lane.  Still can’t forgive the Austin’s.  First they went to PUrdue and second, Chad took away the 2 guard position from me in 8th grade and I was never getting it back 😭

Just now, iucane said:

Being born and raised in Richmond, I appreciate the trip down memory lane.  Still can’t forgive the Austin’s.  First they went to PUrdue and second, Chad took away the 2 guard position from me in 8th grade and I was never getting it back 😭

I hate Chad because he hot two game winning shots against IU.  Actually Woody went one semester to IU East when I was over there and saw him a few times

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hate Chad because he hot two game winning shots against IU.  Actually Woody went one semester to IU East when I was over there and saw him a few times

As good as Woody was (and I was a homer) Kemp was CLEARLY the best player their senior year and think he ended up 3rd in Mr Basketball behind Woody and Chandler

On 12/14/2020 at 10:00 AM, 13th&Jackson said:

Don't know how I'd feel about that. Unless the HS season is canceled, I think he should finish the HS year. I realize that may negate a current IU advantage, but a guy who'd leave his HS team mid-season would leave his college team mid-season to play overseas, etc.

This year is different though. Most years I’d agree but this year is different.

9 hours ago, iucane said:

Woody scored about 40 on us his senior year then hooked up with half our cheerleaders. Chad hit buzzer beater to knock us out of Regional my Jr year. Then Chad killed IU. the Austin's are not on my Christmas card list

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

He said he will finish if the season doesn’t get canceled or look to have prolonged shut downs. So the kid is going to finish HS season unless Covid cancels more games.

That’s great and all but it’s a gamble because last I checked he can’t see the future but I do know that colleges don’t let you enroll whenever you want. That means he has to make a decision and soon if he hasn’t already.

Just now, DC2345 said:

That’s great and all but it’s a gamble because last I checked he can’t see the future but I do know that colleges don’t let you enroll whenever you want. That means he has to make a decision and soon if he hasn’t already.

I am going by what his guardian said. They intend to play out the season. So he won’t enroll early unless his season gets canceled or appears to go that way. I personally don’t think he is enrolling early and will finish it out...which is why Georgia is appearing the front runner despite no scholarship to offer for early enrollment. You are correct about running out of time...but I also think it’s why he is pushing his decision date back. He is waiting as long as he can to make that decision and see if his HS will play out. In the end yes he has to decide and I think HS ball will continue and so he will stay in school.

Archived