Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

3 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Of course we do. High ceiling and sometimes a low floor. But in the NBA’s case it’s always worth it. Most 4 year college players become 7th or 8th guys on an ok team, but the potential can mean getting a star who can carry your franchise for at least 7 years. 

I just went back and looked at the drafts from 2013-18 and there are not many players who turned out to be all stars that were drafted in the lottery

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dgambill said:

The question isn’t whether Trayce needs to develop a jump shot before going to the nba...the question is will the nba coaches do a better job developing his jump shot then IU...I don’t think there is even a question developing shooters is not Archies strength. 

The question really has nothing to do with Archie. I'd want any NBA staff developing a players shot over any college staff. The NBA game and the college game are so different and the way a player is used in college vs. how they'd be used in the NBA is completely different.  

NBA teams literally have close to 2:1 player to coach ratio, as well as a litany of support staff people and unlimited time to work with players. 

25 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Of course we do. High ceiling and sometimes a low floor. But in the NBA’s case it’s always worth it. Most 4 year college players become 7th or 8th guys on an ok team, but the potential can mean getting a star who can carry your franchise for at least 7 years. 

In the case of the draft, it makes more sense to shoot for the high ceiling than a known commodity that might not improve much and likely will never be an NBA All-Star. Especially if you know it's unlikely anyone else will draft that player. They can still get the 4 year undrafted players signed to their G-League team. If that player ends up looking like a legit NBA player, move him up to see.

The way it's now set up they can shoot high in the draft and have those second round or undrafted backup plans in the G-League under contract.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just went back and looked at the drafts from 2013-18 and there are not many players who turned out to be all stars that were drafted in the lottery

I just randomly selected the 1987 and the 2017 drafts. 1987 had 5 future all-star players (though Horace Grant only made it once) drafted in the lottery (using today's lottery standards of the top 14), but also had Dennis Hopson drafted #3, Joe Wolf #13 and Tellis Frank #14. 

The 2017 draft already has 3 all-star players from the lottery and those guys have just played 3 seasons. 

Busts are not more or less, the draft is just different. That is all. Sam Bowie was taken ahead of Michael Jordan and Darko was taken ahead of Carmelo and Wade. 

These things have always happened and always will happen. Heck, the Celtics drafted Kelly Olynyk (a 4 year college player) over Giannis. 

The draft has always been a crap shoot and always will. In that 1987 draft Reggie Lewis (an all-star before his untimely death) was selected behind Wolf, Tellis, Jim Farmar, Christian Welp, Ronnie Murphy, and somebody names Dallas Comegys (yes, that's spelled correctly). 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I just randomly selected the 1987 and the 2017 drafts. 1987 had 5 future all-star players (though Horace Grant only made it once) drafted in the lottery, but also had Dennis Hopson drafted #3, Joe Wolf #13 and Tellis Frank #14. 

The 2017 draft already has 3 all-star players from the lottery and those guys have just played 3 seasons. 

Busts are not more or less, the draft is just different. That is all. Sam Bowie was taken ahead of Michael Jordan and Darko was taken ahead of Carmelo and Wade. 

These things have always happened and always will happen. Heck, the Celtics drafted Kelly Olynyk (a 4 year college player) over Giannis. 

The draft has always been a crap shoot and always will. In that 1987 draft Reggie Lewis (an all-star before his untimely death) was selected behind Wolf, Tellis, Jim Farmar, Christian Welp, Ronnie Murphy, and somebody names Dallas Comegys (yes, that's spelled correctly). 

I remember Comegy's because he was a very good player at DePaul

I got this from a guy on rivals from a couple of days ago so either we are wrong about the scholarship situation.  We have thought that even if a guy leaves mid season that the program can't use that scholarship until next year.  This guy said he thought he would enroll early but now with UGA having a guy to leave that would open a scholarship up for Muhammad.

’s recruitment has kept people guessing because both his destination and when exactly he plans to arrive on campus has been in question in recent months. These days, it seems as though the Springfield (Mo.) Greenwood senior will enroll early and show up on the campus of his choice in January. All that’s left to do now is pick a school.

I’ve long seen Georgia as a major player here, but it seemed that the Bulldogs might not have an available scholarship to award Mohammed at semester. That all changed when UGA sophomore Jaykwon Walton hit the transfer portal on Dec. 3. The stars seemed to now be aligned for the talented Mohammed to land in Athens, but both Georgetown and Indiana shouldn’t be ruled out. The other teams on Mohammed’s final list (Kansas State, Oklahoma State, etc) seem much less likely to land his letter of intent.

Georgia head coach Tom Crean has a long history of developing pros and the fact that he recently helped a guard become the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA Draft certainly plays well in this situation.

Just now, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I swear they have to hold the scholarship even if someone transfers out, unless it changed 

They do. It's starting to sound like he might not enroll early and will instead finish out the HS season. If so, an open scholarship right now is not a factor.

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

They do. It's starting to sound like he might not enroll early and will instead finish out the HS season. If so, an open scholarship right now is not a factor.

Well the guy I referenced two days ago thought he would enroll in January but who knows with this recruitment.  Either way someone is wrong with their knowledge of the scholarship situation.  You would hope that a guy who writes for Rivals would do some research before posting this if it is not true.

Archived