Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

Definitely a promising thing, would be interested in knowing why the Maryland insider feels that way.

Would be nice if the rumor of an out of state commit was true and was him but I also listened to Brian Snow say on Kent Sterlings show that expect this recruitment to be a “wild ride” because he is very open to hearing what all schools have to offer so hopefully we can snag him before the blue bloods come knocking. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Definitely a promising thing, would be interested in knowing why the Maryland insider feels that way.

Would be nice if the rumor of an out of state commit was true and was him but I also listened to Brian Snow say on Kent Sterlings show that expect this recruitment to be a “wild ride” because he is very open to hearing what all schools have to offer so hopefully we can snag him before the blue bloods come knocking. 

What???? You mean IU is not a blue blood program???

That's almost blasphemy.........

3 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Why does it seem like this kid, as a 5 star, has limited options right now? Not downplaying the current options as IU would be a great one for him, but it seems many are taking a pass. Why? Are the talent evaluators seeing something that coaches aren’t? I know @CoachSS isn’t high on him. 

It's not the stellar list of Final 4 regulars you sometimes see, but IU, Maryland, Louisville, Florida isn't too shabby. Taking a quick look at some of the guys around him in the composite, there certainly are guys who have offers from every Final 4 team for the past decade, but there are some other that have less than half a dozen offers from teams I would consider to be top half of the power 5. Hard to say if there is something to that or not.

2 hours ago, BDB said:

He’s a top 15 guy.  How is he hurt by no aau season?

You can be rated high by the services but not seen as much by the top flight schools by not playing much AAU — the top schools don’t just offer top rated prospects they go watch and evaluate the kids on their own 

I mean I will always welcome top 25 talent, as long as he is willing to compete at a high level and get along with his teammates and contribute in more ways than just scoring.  My worry is, that if he's ranked as high as he is, is it due to the talent he is playing everyday or is he truly skilled and would he be rated as high say if he was playing in class 4A in Indiana?

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I mean I will always welcome top 25 talent, as long as he is willing to compete at a high level and get along with his teammates and contribute in more ways than just scoring.  My worry is, that if he's ranked as high as he is, is it due to the talent he is playing everyday or is he truly skilled and would he be rated as high say if he was playing in class 4A in Indiana?

And does he see himself as a sure fire one and done?  That's my biggest concern.   I don't want guys who already have their bags packed before they even arrive.  And if Lander is back for a second season I bet you that he, Rob, and Hunter start.  Is Aminu going to be happy if he comes off the bench?

3 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Not sure on his attitude or mindset but from vidoes I’ve watched that dude can flat out play!! I think he averages 12-15 as a freshman 

45 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Not sure on his attitude or mindset but from vidoes I’ve watched that dude can flat out play!! I think he averages 12-15 as a freshman 

I believe I saw he averaged 17 and 10 as a freshman playing all of the elite DC area teams. 

Are we about the only fanbase that would find a way to convince ourselves that we maybe do not want a Top 20 player that is seriously considering us?

You take guys like that and let the chips fall where they may as long as there are not huge behavioral red flags.

All this talk about who is/isn’t recruiting this kid is anxiety for nothing, imo. There was just a 5-star kid who committed to the basketball power that is Howard. Who cares what programs are courting a kid? If it’s the right fit for Aminu, and he buys into what CAM is selling, that’s all that matters. 

I dated a girl very seriously who didn’t fit my circle of friends. She was perfect for me at the time. Didn’t matter that she liked the BeeGees and we were Rush/Kansas/ Aerosmith fans. She fit my needs at the time I needed her to.

I am at the point where prestige due to association is way overrated. Hope this kid decides that Bloomington is the place for him. Hope y’all accept him if he does, regardless of who else is recruiting him.

I remember a player coming out of a small school in Missouri who did not get much pub was Otto Porter.  I think I remember that he did not play much AAU ball and did not get recruited by big time programs.  He went to play at Georgetown and then became a top 5 pick.

From his AAU tape the kid is a beast. Not only played well but was playing up a year. I don’t care for guys with handlers that are as outspoken and in control of their recruitment as his is...but if he feels Indiana is a match for him and he fits into our team mentality I would love to have him. All said I wouldn’t be convinced until we have a signed letter and maybe not even then because of his handler....just strikes me as one that would immediately back out if a better option to get him to the NBA came along but that is just me talking about his handler and not the kid. The kid is amazing on the court and would be a huge get for our backcourt. I still hope we get him! I’m cautiously optimistic!

Aminus competition at the HS level just isn’t up to par compared to many 5* recruits. Scoring comes easy as he is a man among boys. 

Scored 38 in this game with 23 rebounds in this game. 

That said he played for Boo Williams AAU team and has looked every bit as impressive there so the kid can play. This was last year and not playing this year probably is what has stopped the Duke/KU/UKs.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Does anyone know why he left the east coast for the school in Missouri

His brother plays college ball at like Missouri State or something I believe. That is why picking up and moving isn’t a problem no matter where he goes. Did it for his brother will for him.

Been watching highlights on YouTube the last few minutes and he is definitely a very good player.  Also his outside shot does not look that bad but he is a beast around the basket.  Watched more of the AAU games against better competition and you can see why is highly ranked.   If he comes here I am fine with it and he does not appear to have the athleticism to be a one and done player.

The kid is a unanimous five star by 247/Rivals/ESPN so clearly he’s talented and will be an instant impact on this team. It’ll be interesting to see what changes this year from last but other than TJD this team desperately needed someone who could create their own shot and he can certainly do that.

His handler may be a little outspoken for some people’s taste but Mr.Langford could be like that from time to time too and Romeo is as humble as they come. 

Even if he’s a OAD we have guys like Franklin, Leal, Galloway who will hopefully be ready to step up to the plate. Not to mention, the 2022 prospects seem promising and it can’t hurt to have another kid that Archie can say he helped get to the NBA. 

I don’t see any downsides to having this kid on our team. I’d love to arguably have  one of the best backcourts in the nation with him Lander and Rob. Also could really help with recruiting elite out of state talent going forward. 

Archived