Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Unless there is something that I am.missing or are unaware of, we should be ecstatic over a guy like this. 

I sure am. Getting Romeo and subsequent in state best of best is one thing but when a coach can grab 5 star out of state guys it's another. I must be missing something too. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I sure am. Getting Romeo and subsequent in state best of best is one thing but when a coach can grab 5 star out of state guys it's another. I must be missing something too. 

Either you can play or you cant. Maybe the back story tells us that he is a guy that we need to stay away from but if not then I am all for this committment 

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

From his AAU tape the kid is a beast. Not only played well but was playing up a year. I don’t care for guys with handlers that are as outspoken and in control of their recruitment as his is...but if he feels Indiana is a match for him and he fits into our team mentality I would love to have him. All said I wouldn’t be convinced until we have a signed letter and maybe not even then because of his handler....just strikes me as one that would immediately back out if a better option to get him to the NBA came along but that is just me talking about his handler and not the kid. The kid is amazing on the court and would be a huge get for our backcourt. I still hope we get him! I’m cautiously optimistic!

His parents don't live in this country.  The "handler" also took care of his older brother who doesn't appear to be a big time prospect.  It also appears to me that he is serious about school.  He still may be one and done or wish to be.  The school he goes to is known for academics and not basketball.  Family seems important to him as he moved to be close to his brother.  He could've stayed in DC where there would be more competition.  All of these things considered it sounds like he has his head screwed on right.

7 hours ago, slojoe said:

His parents don't live in this country.  The "handler" also took care of his older brother who doesn't appear to be a big time prospect.  It also appears to me that he is serious about school.  He still may be one and done or wish to be.  The school he goes to is known for academics and not basketball.  Family seems important to him as he moved to be close to his brother.  He could've stayed in DC where there would be more competition.  All of these things considered it sounds like he has his head screwed on right.

Agreed with the kid. He has made a lot of good quotes about wanting to improve to help his team win..and by doing so it will help him with his NBA aspirations. Basically the kid said if he isn’t working and improving someone will take his spot. So he won’t let that happen. Yes his guardian moved him to be close to his brother. Obviously hard to take care of both if you aren’t near them. My concern is does the kid mean the guardian comes along too...seeing as he follows the kids and seems to be very involved. He’s very vocal and outspoken about different schools and players so just hope that doesn’t cause issues if he ends up in Bloomington. He definitely has a close tie to Aminu...is it all on the up and up or does he have his own interests...guess is my question. Heck I don’t know so maybe he is a great guy doing this kid and his family a solid...but usually in the world of athletics they have their own agendas too...hope that isn’t the case because I would love to have the kid.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agreed with the kid. He has made a lot of good quotes about wanting to improve to help his team win..and by doing so it will help him with his NBA aspirations. Basically the kid said if he isn’t working and improving someone will take his spot. So he won’t let that happen. Yes his guardian moved him to be close to his brother. Obviously hard to take care of both if you aren’t near them. My concern is does the kid mean the guardian comes along too...seeing as he follows the kids and seems to be very involved. He’s very vocal and outspoken about different schools and players so just hope that doesn’t cause issues if he ends up in Bloomington. He definitely has a close tie to Aminu...is it all on the up and up or does he have his own interests...guess is my question. Heck I don’t know so maybe he is a great guy doing this kid and his family a solid...but usually in the world of athletics they have their own agendas too...hope that isn’t the case because I would love to have the kid.

Never have read Shawn Harmon to be anything but genuine. Not nearly as outspoken that some are. He rarely volunteers an opinion. It is usually in response to a question or a legitimate compliment.

24 minutes ago, Moyeneeded said:

Never have read Shawn Harmon to be anything but genuine. Not nearly as outspoken that some are. He rarely volunteers an opinion. It is usually in response to a question or a legitimate compliment.

Thanks! That’s great to know! Makes me feel a lot better about this recruitment! 

14 hours ago, Moyeneeded said:

Agreed. If anything, I think his old school mentality fits right in with IUBB. 

I’m sure he’s also awfully proud that Aminu has risen up the recruiting rankings and developed like he has. We have to remember he was living in a different country four years ago.

IMO, Aminu is an incredible program fit. He’s long, physical and active on D. He can create off the dribble, play off-ball, and has shown to be very effective as a secondary or third option against top competition in the summer. 

My favorite part? Despite playing up a year, he was 2nd on his AAU squad in Rebounds/GM, even outboarding a couple of highly touted front court players. Kid has a nose for the ball. 

If he was from Indiana, this thread would be 100+ pages 

10 hours ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

I’m sure he’s also awfully proud that Aminu has risen up the recruiting rankings and developed like he has. We have to remember he was living in a different country four years ago.

IMO, Aminu is an incredible program fit. He’s long, physical and active on D. He can create off the dribble, play off-ball, and has shown to be very effective as a secondary or third option against top competition in the summer. 

My favorite part? Despite playing up a year, he was 2nd on his AAU squad in Rebounds/GM, even outboarding a couple of highly touted front court players. Kid has a nose for the ball. 

So true! If he was from Indiana, we would be saying he is a must get for Archie to save his job. 😂

10 hours ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

Love wings that can get boards.  There’s a grittiness to it that I like.  Having good hands helps.  Also, an underrated part of rebounding is smarts and instincts because you are making a read.  You can figure out where the ball is going and you get there before the other guy.   Alan Henderson is probably my favorite rebounder of all time because he had the whole package.  He knew where to get to get the rebound.  

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

If we land him and Lander stays 2 years we're gonna have some serious competition in the backcourt and wing positions next season. 

That would be one of the best backcourts we’ve had in almost a decade. Might even be reason enough to get Trayce to hang around and then you REALLY have a special team.

7 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

So true! If he was from Indiana, we would be saying he is a must get for Archie to save his job. 😂

So is that where the preference for Wesley comes from the board. I have to admit I’ve seen more of Aminu then Wesley to know which is better.

50 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So is that where the preference for Wesley comes from the board. I have to admit I’ve seen more of Aminu then Wesley to know which is better.

I guess that I thought Wesley was a much better shooter, whereas Aminu created more going strong to the basket.  I also thought Aminu might have better defensive skills at this point.  Obviously, I could be totally wrong.  😊

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

If we land him and Lander stays 2 years we're gonna have some serious competition in the backcourt and wing positions next season. 

It will be legal to pay players after this year also.  So I don’t know let’s get that gofundme started to keeping Trayce a 3rd year

3 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

I guess that I thought Wesley was a much better shooter, whereas Aminu created more going strong to the basket.  I also thought Aminu might have better defensive skills at this point.  Obviously, I could be totally wrong.  😊

Wesley has no interest in playing our style of offense.

59 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Technically you could raise money and host an event where he would appear.  But you could make it contingent on him still being a member of the team. 

I don't think that is how this going to work.  The school or alumni can't just give them money so the players will have to work out sponsorships on their own.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

I always chalked it up to Hoosier pride.. But Aminu is in a different class and such a better fit IMO.

He consistently brings high effort and energy to both ends and is becoming really effective at using his physicality. Plus, he's going to be an incredible Day 1 G/F rebounder.

Last summer, he averaged 17ppg | 8.1 boards | 1.5 STLs  | 52% FG% | 70% FT% | <2 TOs / game. He was playing mainly with the 2020 Class. My favorite stat? He averaged 3.6 offensive rebounds per game the whole summer! That right there tells you a lot about how he plays & his effort level. 

Wesley seems to be focused on developing as a lead ball handler whereas I think you can plug Aminu into many more lineups / roles, especially lineups with an emphasis on Defense. 

Maybe our fan base has just learned not to get its hopes up with out of state players, but this kid is like a IUBB fan's dream through and through.

And it dumbfounds me cause if Aminu or any other out of state prospect gave the type of lukewarm responses Wesley has about IUBB..well you know what our fanbase's response would be...

2 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Probably the best college player IU is recruiting in 2021 from how I know and understand their games. The kid is really, really good. Enjoyed speaking with him and watching him work.

To the two comments I quoted above: 

- Wesley is working hard on his handle but it's already in a pretty good spot. He isn't trying to be a lead ball-handler. He's very comfortable and has long-term plans to be an off-ball mover. 

- The responses he has given IU are far from lukewarm. I know people will reference his video with Rabjohns, Schumann, etc. But, that's not what is actually occurring in real life. 

^^^ Hopefully this comes off the right way. Not as snide or rude. Just trying to add color to things I know, factually, from what I've seen or heard from talking to the parties involved.^^^

Nah, doesn’t come off as rude. I’ve heard your reasoning for why you believe he is the best prospect we are recruiting in 2021, I just disagree.

I like Wesley’s game and think he has a very high ceiling, but this has seemed like a recruiting process where we have been playing from behind this entire time (“eg IU trying to make up ground..”). 

And perhaps it was just a misstatement, but forgive us fans for not having an overly charitable interpretation of the video where he says he wants the keys.

My comments on Aminu stand regardless. I think he brings a level of physicality on both ends that is perfectly suited for B10 basketball and immediate contributions. The way he attacks the basket and plays through contact reminds of EJ. I could see this kid averaging 4-6 FTAs his FR/SO season. 

20 minutes ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

Nah, doesn’t come off as rude. I’ve heard your reasoning for why you believe he is the best prospect we are recruiting in 2021, I just disagree.

I like Wesley’s game and think he has a very high ceiling, but this has seemed like a recruiting process where we have been playing from behind this entire time (“eg IU trying to make up ground..”). 

And perhaps it was just a misstatement, but forgive us fans for not having an overly charitable interpretation of the video where he says he wants the keys.

My comments on Aminu stand regardless. I think he brings a level of physicality on both ends that is perfectly suited for B10 basketball and immediate contributions. The way he attacks the basket and plays through contact reminds of EJ. I could see this kid averaging 4-6 FTAs his FR/SO season. 

I’ll take both of em! Ha 

13 hours ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

I always chalked it up to Hoosier pride.. But Aminu is in a different class and such a better fit IMO.

He consistently brings high effort and energy to both ends and is becoming really effective at using his physicality. Plus, he's going to be an incredible Day 1 G/F rebounder.

Last summer, he averaged 17ppg | 8.1 boards | 1.5 STLs  | 52% FG% | 70% FT% | <2 TOs / game. He was playing mainly with the 2020 Class. My favorite stat? He averaged 3.6 offensive rebounds per game the whole summer! That right there tells you a lot about how he plays & his effort level. 

Wesley seems to be focused on developing as a lead ball handler whereas I think you can plug Aminu into many more lineups / roles, especially lineups with an emphasis on Defense. 

Maybe our fan base has just learned not to get its hopes up with out of state players, but this kid is like a IUBB fan's dream through and through.

And it dumbfounds me cause if Aminu or any other out of state prospect gave the type of lukewarm responses Wesley has about IUBB..well you know what our fanbase's response would be...

4 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Same but different note: 

Wesley starting training with me and a buddy of mine. More accurately worded, my friend up here started his own training about a year and a half ago. He has worked hard to get all the top kids in the area and it's nothing short of incredible of the talent he has acquired. 

I texted Derrick Wesley and tried to get Blake over to work and go against some of these guys. Fantastic player. Way better than I thought. Probably the best college player IU is recruiting in 2021 from how I know and understand their games. The kid is really, really good. Enjoyed speaking with him and watching him work.

To the two comments I quoted above: 

- Wesley is working hard on his handle but it's already in a pretty good spot. He isn't trying to be a lead ball-handler. He's very comfortable and has long-term plans to be an off-ball mover. 

- The responses he has given IU are far from lukewarm. I know people will reference his video with Rabjohns, Schumann, etc. But, that's not what is actually occurring in real life. 

^^^ Hopefully this comes off the right way. Not as snide or rude. Just trying to add color to things I know, factually, from what I've seen or heard from talking to the parties involved.^^^

2 hours ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

I'm enjoying both sides of this and would happily accept either or both...thanks, guys!

Archived