Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Purdue was 16-15 if I recall? Not exactly setting the world on fire and IU wasn’t exactly a sinking ship like you would think 

To play devils advocate its easy for us the base things on last and disregard the last 3 but put emphasis on last year for PU and disregard their elite run. I am as big of a homer there is but the last few years fo not stack up between the 2 programs. The last 2 classes at PU are benefiting from that run.

6 hours ago, 5 championships said:

What you want last year ole Joe? 25 wins? 20 wins and an NCAA tournament birth is about what I expected in year 3. 

I’m going to say this one last time. I’m not for firing Archie. He deserves to get 5 years...but just recognizing he is really on thin ice with what we have produced on the floor and if recruiting turns south after such a strong start.

Now...it’s nice to win more games...but beating up on western Illinois doesn’t mean much to me when we are losing to Illinois. Beating on Portland St but losing to Purdue. While we have marginally had better overall records we continue to fall behind in the B1G...and now we are losing recruits to those same teams.

We want to win B1G basketball games. We have a pretty good roster returning. He has all his guys. On paper we should finish higher. That’s good for Archie..but if he doesn’t...2021 is going to be a hot seat for him.

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m going to say this one last time. I’m not for firing Archie. He deserves to get 5 years...but just recognizing he is really on thin ice with what we have produced on the floor and if recruiting turns south after such a strong start.

Now...it’s nice to win more games...but beating up on western Illinois doesn’t mean much to me when we are losing to Illinois. Beating on Portland St but losing to Purdue. While we have marginally had better overall records we continue to fall behind in the B1G...and now we are losing recruits to those same teams.

We want to win B1G basketball games. We have a pretty good roster returning. He has all his guys. On paper we should finish higher. That’s good for Archie..but if he doesn’t...2021 is going to be a hot seat for him.

Do you forget the wins against MSU, FSU, ND and Butler and beat UW a couple of years ago.  Also why even discuss his seat being hot in 2021 before the season plays out because it does no good for anyone.  Why not let the season play out and after the season discuss if his seat is hot.  Why stress out about a season going bad before we even tip off for the 1st game of the year.

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Do you forget the wins against MSU, FSU, ND and Butler and beat UW a couple of years ago.  Also why even discuss his seat being hot in 2021 before the season plays out because it does no good for anyone.  Why not let the season play out and after the season discuss if his seat is hot.  Why stress out about a season going bad before we even tip off for the 1st game of the year.

Agreed. He needs 5 years. Either he builds something good or he doesn't.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I said he is putting pressure on himself. You aren’t reading my whole post. I go out of my way to support him but said he hasn’t really moved the needle much. If...IF he can’t make a step forward this year....in year 4 with his own kids...a veteran team...21-22 season is going to be real hot seat. Most coaches get an extension before going into their last season. Without it recruits don’t know if the coach will last and don’t want to commit to a coach on an expiring contract. Do you think IU should extend him if he has a mediocre season this year? Given what we have coming in and if he is say 20-12 again...hard to extend that. So if he goes into 21-22 under those conditions recruiting will get even harder and he will have a lot of pressure in that year. This year is indeed critical. I like our team..but Archie has to take that next step. Time will tell.

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I said he is putting pressure on himself. You aren’t reading my whole post. I go out of my way to support him but said he hasn’t really moved the needle much. If...IF he can’t make a step forward this year....in year 4 with his own kids...a veteran team...21-22 season is going to be real hot seat. Most coaches get an extension before going into their last season. Without it recruits don’t know if the coach will last and don’t want to commit to a coach on an expiring contract. Do you think IU should extend him if he has a mediocre season this year? Given what we have coming in and if he is say 20-12 again...hard to extend that. So if he goes into 21-22 under those conditions recruiting will get even harder and he will have a lot of pressure in that year. This year is indeed critical. I like our team..but Archie has to take that next step. Time will tell.

My point why go into the season thinking or worrying about the worst case scenario instead of thinking positive going in the season

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Because it’s 2020...and this year has sucked lol. I’m positive Archie needs a big year.

Well if whether IU has a great season effects how you view 2020 is all I need to know.  The outcome of this season will not effect me because this year has shown me that sports are not that important.  If you had a year like I have had I just want to enjoy being able to watch sports.  I would say having your department sold to another company, getting the virus and losing your job in a two month so and puts you in a better perspective.

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well if whether IU has a great season effects how you view 2020 is all I need to know.  The outcome of this season will not effect me because this year has shown me that sports are not that important.  If you had a year like I have had I just want to enjoy being able to watch sports.  I would say having your department sold to another company, getting the virus and losing your job in a two month so and puts you in a better perspective.

My company has had closures and been sold twice this year alone. Family sick and recovered, family unemployed due to lockdowns etc. I’m not going to go into personal things because somebody always has it worse and likely you have. You seem to take everything I say as I’m desperate and pessimistic and that I live and die on sports.
I haven’t watched a minute of NBA, baseball, and almost zero nfl. I did watch college football last few weeks. I have a 1 year old. Sports are about the furthest thing from importance to me right now as I anticipate more changes with my job.

Thank God he is there and will continue to guide me through this mess. Only by his strength alone do I manage day to day with everything I’ve been through the past several years and he has lead me through safely and happier after each trial. So please don’t pretend to understand what sports means to me. It’s a fun distraction and my little moment of relaxation outside a busy and chaotic day of work and raising a young family but rest assured no more. I love this board because it lets me discuss and engage ideas I get zero chance to do so at home with my wife and child. As we speak I’ve been interrupted 3 times to play baby shark on my phone for my child lol!!! (Trust me I’m putting it down when I finish and taking her to the pool)

I value your view point...I understand you are optimistic about this season and know one missed recruit won’t be the end of our program. But I don’t try to belittle your view by trying to pretend I understand where you come from and devalue your view point just because my experience is different and some how makes me more capable of putting things in perspective. Please don’t try to take anything more than my opinion simply based on what I’ve seen from this program the last several years. I have no agenda.
I would have liked to seen us make more progress on the court. We continue to struggle making shots. We continue to struggle to play with pace. We continue to have problems playing with intensity consistently. Had locker room trouble and yet seen little discipline over it. Seen questionable lineups and substitutions many believe. I don’t even like the high weave offense we run as it’s too much dribbling, not enough screening, and we get into too many late clock situations. There are other things others have pointed out but this post is too long already. 
Now hopefully this year we see us round the corner. We have a good team. We have veterans at key positions and an all American stud. That said Archie needs to turn that into more wins (specifically in our conference where the games mean more). If we just tread water that isn’t selling me on the guy. It also spells trouble because the 21 class is not shaping up like we need it to. These programs are about momentum. Win, get recruits, win more get better recruits and the thing snow balls. We are at the point now where we are starting to hear kids say they like Archie and the staff but they don’t feel like we are a good fit in our offense compared to others. Hard to sell vision when you don’t have progress or accomplishments. So In the end the product on the floor is important this year. We aren’t favorites to win any of our 21 recruits left. Which means we will need a stronger 22 class. Everything amplifies. That was my point. Pressure is building because of lack of tangible progress on the court and now recruiting is having some set backs. I’ll admit I was wrong. Archie has a 7 year contract not 5. So he won’t be a lame duck next year. That is good for him and recruiting...but no doubt other teams will have enough ammo to sell his job is in jeopardy if he flakes out again this year. Let’s just win this year and have a nice top 5 conference performance and a nice showing in the NCAA and make this all a mute point. Go Hoosiers!

Not to pile on, but let's look at things through the lens of when CAM was hired.  What were our expectations?  I believe it was to compete for B10 titles and final fours. 

Nobody should expect to go from losing in the first round of the NIT to a FF overnight.  However, the truth is this:  we've been mid-pack or lower in the conference in each of CAM's seasons as HC, we've been a non-player in national recruiting, and now we're looking at a (potentially) very disappointing 2021 recruiting class.

Personally, I'm surprised we haven't done better as I believe Archie is a quality coach. That said, the incremental improvements we've seen thus far don't appear to put us on a trajectory to meeting the above expectations in the near future.  It can/could happen and I hope it does, but the bottom line is that CAM is paid big bucks for big results and thus far hasn't delivered much of a ROI.

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Not to pile on, but let's look at things through the lens of when CAM was hired.  What were our expectations?  I believe it was to compete for B10 titles and final fours. 

Nobody should expect to go from losing in the first round of the NIT to a FF overnight.  However, the truth is this:  we've been mid-pack or lower in the conference in each of CAM's seasons as HC, we've been a non-player in national recruiting, and now we're looking at a (potentially) very disappointing 2021 recruiting class.

Personally, I'm surprised we haven't done better as I believe Archie is a quality coach. That said, the incremental improvements we've seen thus far don't appear to put us on a trajectory to meeting the above expectations in the near future.  It can/could happen and I hope it does, but the bottom line is that CAM is paid big bucks for big results and thus far hasn't delivered much of a ROI.

I think we probably would have been farther along  if Archie was allowed to clean house when he got here.  Having to play players that did not fit his system or playing style really hurt the program in my viewpoint.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think we probably would have been farther along  if Archie was allowed to clean house when he got here.  Having to play players that did not fit his system or playing style really hurt the program in my viewpoint.

Agree all day. Plus if you throw in the fact that Devonte and Justin most likely had attitude problems that hurt the team, this upcoming season really is the FIRST one Archie will have in which he will finally be rid of ALL of that stuff. Seems like this is the year the cuffs finally come off and you can tell he’s excited about the group of guys he has now. He has mentioned multiple times about how good the chemistry is and that there aren’t any cliques within the team...everyone likes everyone. 

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

And didn't they prevent him from bringing in the Dayton recruit that went to Colorado or something?

44 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

No. Just a logjam at that spot at Indiana. And his people don’t view him as a backup which is what he would be at Indiana on day #1. 

How do we know he'd be a backup at IU day 1?  You get him on campus and let him compete.  If he beats out the other guys in practice, he starts.  

22 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

That's true. I don't. It's just a feeling based on his scouting reports, what's being said privately about how well Armaan and Trey G are doing. And, the reports based on where his game is at and the effort he would need to put in defensively to crack the rotation. 

But, the thought of a player like him and how he is being setup and propped up: he isn't the kind to compete and hope to win a spot. He needs a guarantee. Which is why he is looking at some of the programs he is looking at. 

Thanks for the extra info, makes sense.  I just don't understand the entitlement part, and I'm not knocking Aminu specifically.  It seems this whole generation, athletes in particular, think they can just get what they want by showing up.  Competition has always been the crux of sports.  Gotta earn it. 

This is one of the issues in recruiting, as @CoachSS  refers to, prospects (and sometimes the people around them) often are looking at the depth at their spot and potential for real playing time coming in, and right now that's magnified with the NCAA granting an extra season of eligibility. IU has some real guard depth right now, on ball and off -- yeah, we often seem to overstate that, but Franklin was coming on strong his frosh season and is getting some pub internally on his development, Al, etc. Then look at our incoming frosh. Stacked.  

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This is one of the issues in recruiting, as @CoachSS  refers to, prospects (and sometimes the people around them) often are looking at the depth at their spot and potential for real playing time coming in, and right now that's magnified with the NCAA granting an extra season of eligibility. IU has some real guard depth right now, on ball and off -- yeah, we often seem to overstate that, but Franklin was coming on strong his frosh season and is getting some pub internally on his development, Al, etc. Then look at our incoming frosh. Stacked.  

For sure.  But if Aminu is a true 5* with one and done potential, he'll play over all those guys.  And if he's not, then his job is to get better so he can.  Because if you aren't beating out Franklin, you aren't making an NBA roster. 

Archived