Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

9 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

For sure.  But if Aminu is a true 5* with one and done potential, he'll play over all those guys.  And if he's not, then his job is to get better so he can.  Because if you aren't beating out Franklin, you aren't making an NBA roster. 

Yeah. You take talent. Nothing about the kid says he doesn’t work hard and won’t work hard. He has excelled playing up in AAU on one of the best teams in the circuit. Archies job is to fill the roster with the best players he can get...not protect roster spots. If Armaan can’t hold his position to a 5* too bad. If he isn’t a team player and accept the role he earns then transfer out. Same for Aminu. We aren’t in a position we start turning down 5* recruits. In fact we aren’t in position to turn down 4* recruits. We need an influx of talent. I like Armaan but this team has been falling behind the rest of the B1G. We need better talent! I’m glad guys are looking good I’m practice but I’ve heard that a million times to only see it not manifest itself on the court in games.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This is one of the issues in recruiting, as @CoachSS  refers to, prospects (and sometimes the people around them) often are looking at the depth at their spot and potential for real playing time coming in, and right now that's magnified with the NCAA granting an extra season of eligibility. IU has some real guard depth right now, on ball and off -- yeah, we often seem to overstate that, but Franklin was coming on strong his frosh season and is getting some pub internally on his development, Al, etc. Then look at our incoming frosh. Stacked.  

We had one of the worst backcourts in the B1G last year...forgive me for not wanting better talent because of our depth. Depth is meaningful if it is actually good. We need an infusion of talent across all positions. Looking good in practice against each other doesn’t mean much to me. How do they look when they play Michigan, Iowa, etc. Won’t know but I’m not taking my foot off the recruiting trail because of a scouting report of guys in practice.

My new motto: Take the best and let God sort out the rest.

1 hour ago, CincyHoosier said:

For sure.  But if Aminu is a true 5* with one and done potential, he'll play over all those guys.  And if he's not, then his job is to get better so he can.  Because if you aren't beating out Franklin, you aren't making an NBA roster. 

As good as a 5* stud may be for a year, unless your getting them year-in, year-out (UK, Duke, etc), those guys aren’t always best long-term for a program.  

Archie is all about developing guys from within.  I think he’d prefer a 3 or 4 star guy for 3-4 years over a one year 5 star stud.  Sometimes those super studs bring a ton of baggage.  

Even Slick Rick P said back in the day that unless it’s a once in a decade guy, he didn’t go after those type players. 

16 minutes ago, Bustout said:

As good as a 5* stud may be for a year, unless your getting them year-in, year-out (UK, Duke, etc), those guys aren’t always best long-term for a program.  

Archie is all about developing guys from within.  I think he’d prefer a 3 or 4 star guy for 3-4 years over a one year 5 star stud.  Sometimes those super studs bring a ton of baggage.  

Even Slick Rick P said back in the day that unless it’s a once in a decade guy, he didn’t go after those type players. 

Agree with this 100%...

The tough part of this equation to me is getting kids like our incoming freshman class enough floor time to stick with us for 3 or 4 years.

Kids want to play, and a lot aren't willing to wait until they're juniors to do so...even 3 and 4 star kids..

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Agree with this 100%...

The tough part of this equation to me is getting kids like our incoming freshman class enough floor time to stick with us for 3 or 4 years.

Kids want to play, and a lot aren't willing to wait until they're juniors to do so...even 3 and 4 star kids..

Definitely true. This is where you wonder what coaches are selling guys.  I’m sure it’s a mix of “you’re going to start day 1” and “you’re going to have to earn it and play defense”. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

We had one of the worst backcourts in the B1G last year...forgive me for not wanting better talent because of our depth. Depth is meaningful if it is actually good. We need an infusion of talent across all positions. Looking good in practice against each other doesn’t mean much to me. How do they look when they play Michigan, Iowa, etc. Won’t know but I’m not taking my foot off the recruiting trail because of a scouting report of guys in practice.

My new motto: Take the best and let God sort out the rest.

First, no one is talking about not taking their foot off the break in recruiting, and, again, CAM has the last 3 IN Mr. Basketballs in a row, which for some reason that eludes me you continuously ignore.

Second, my post that you quote is simply about what recruits look at. You can ignore it, call prospects who look at depth weak or call our backcourt weak all you want, it changes nothing. 

Third, we just added a 5-star elite point guard in Lander, hello, and Rob was obviously injured and not in form for much of the season but played well down the stretch and any incoming guard looks at the upper class men playing in their spots. And a senior Al. Etc. Yes, elite genuine 5-star guards can and will win their playing time and expect to do so, but don’t call players weak or assume that they don’t look at depth of course they do 

I see a lot of backcourt potential, but not much of anything proven yet. Sure Franklin, Galloway, and Leal could all very likely end up being core pieces and big time contributors, but a couple years ago many would have predicted that we'd be penciling in Anderson and Forrester for major roles this year. You just never know how young players will perform.

So it's certainly possible that one or two of that group could outperform Mohammed for PT. But if I'm a five-star guard (reportedly) considering jumping straight to the G-League, none of those guys would keep me from coming to Bloomington. I'd be confident that I would beat them out for PT.

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Agree with this 100%...

Yep. I still believe in the 2002 model with 3-4 top 100 guys who stuck around 3-4 years peppered with burger boys like JJ. Problem is we aren't in 2002. Even top 50 guys are saying I want to be in the pros in 2 years. Very, very tough which model has the best chance at long term success....unless you have an admin and fanbase that is ok having a good to great team once every 3-4 years for that recruiting cycle to play out. 

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. I still believe in the 2002 model with 3-4 top 100 guys who stuck around 3-4 years peppered with burger boys like JJ. Problem is we aren't in 2002. Even top 50 guys are saying I want to be in the pros in 2 years. Very, very tough which model has the best chance at long term success....unless you have an admin and fanbase that is ok having a good to great team once every 3-4 years for that recruiting cycle to play out. 

This is Archie’s model. 3-4 year guys. Graduate.  Plug and play.   Long term consistency and sustainability.  Guys like Leal, Hunter, Race, Galloway are perfect examples.  Get old and stay old.  Archie said that Day 1.  It takes time - especially what he inherited from an unbalanced roster and talent perspective.  Not to mention the APR/transfer issues.  

Also - the B1G has been so competitive top to bottom. To completely rebuild his way takes time.   But once it’s built, IU is in a great position for the next 25 years. 

Now think about Brooks at UK. He could’ve had a nice career at IU from day 1 with plenty of playing time.  I wonder if he ever regrets his decision?

I get the sense Archie is brutally honest with recruits and doesn’t just tell them what they want to hear.  Every kid has a development plan and a plan to graduate.  I’m sure being brutally honest sometimes backfires, but in hindsight - it can save you from drama.  Kids that understand what they are getting into will want to come here and not be sold on promises (sometimes empty). 

46 minutes ago, Bustout said:

This is Archie’s model. 3-4 year guys. Graduate.  Plug and play.   Long term consistency and sustainability.  Guys like Leal, Hunter, Race, Galloway are perfect examples.  Get old and stay old.  Archie said that Day 1.  It takes time - especially what he inherited from an unbalanced roster and talent perspective.  Not to mention the APR/transfer issues.  

Also - the B1G has been so competitive top to bottom. To completely rebuild his way takes time.   But once it’s built, IU is in a great position for the next 25 years. 

Now think about Brooks at UK. He could’ve had a nice career at IU from day 1 with plenty of playing time.  I wonder if he ever regrets his decision?

I get the sense Archie is brutally honest with recruits and doesn’t just tell them what they want to hear.  Every kid has a development plan and a plan to graduate.  I’m sure being brutally honest sometimes backfires, but in hindsight - it can save you from drama.  Kids that understand what they are getting into will want to come here and not be sold on promises (sometimes empty). 

None of those guys are going to lead a team to a championship unless he has an Oladipo type ascent.  Better have more development than what we've seen over the last 3 years.  Top level talent wins championships.  If we can find a diamond in the rough, great but the odds are much higher if we are consistent getting high 4* and 5* guys.  Which, btw, we are whiffing on in the 2021 class and have 1 each of the last 2 classes.  That's not going to get us to the top.

1 hour ago, IUProfessor said:

I see a lot of backcourt potential, but not much of anything proven yet. Sure Franklin, Galloway, and Leal could all very likely end up being core pieces and big time contributors, but a couple years ago many would have predicted that we'd be penciling in Anderson and Forrester for major roles this year. You just never know how young players will perform.

So it's certainly possible that one or two of that group could outperform Mohammed for PT. But if I'm a five-star guard (reportedly) considering jumping straight to the G-League, none of those guys would keep me from coming to Bloomington. I'd be confident that I would beat them out for PT.

Indeed. We keep talking about Leal and Galloway by the time they are juniors and seniors but Archie needs to win now. He can’t wait for guys to “potentially” develop. If a 5* buys you a year then so be it. It also sells the program by putting guys into the NBA and other top recruits. I know exactly what has been happening with injuries etc etc. watch every game like every one else. My opinion mAy be different but I like our guys but I’m not blind. They aren’t superior then most of our B1G opponents. Rob is nice...but he ain’t all B1G. Al is a bench player on most teams. Armaan flashed in stretches but he is still an unknown. High hopes for Lander for sure and I think he brings in a special dynamic. Galloway and Leal...nice players but nothing jumps off the screen as special players that will help right away. They will be important rotational players as time moves on but Trey, Anthony, and Armaan are not play makers. Guys that can get their own shot and for others. That is why Aminu would be an important add. He can create offense...like Khristian.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Which is fine.  If you consistently get them and they develop into guys the NBA wants, you are going to win a lot of games.  And the cycle continues because proof is in the success of the program and the players emerging from it. 

6 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

None of those guys are going to lead a team to a championship unless he has an Oladipo type ascent.  Better have more development than what we've seen over the last 3 years.  Top level talent wins championships.  If we can find a diamond in the rough, great but the odds are much higher if we are consistent getting high 4* and 5* guys.  Which, btw, we are whiffing on in the 2021 class and have 1 each of the last 2 classes.  That's not going to get us to the top.

Exactly. People think I’m negative but it’s as almost like they just want to make the tournament. That’s the goal. I want special players that will get us to the final four.

TJD. Lander.  Hunter has played one season.   Those guys are talented.  A healthy Phin should be very solid too. 

The blueprint is to have talented studs like TJD and Lander plus juniors and seniors around them.   

Obviously the goal is a F4.  This is being built with his blueprint, which IMO, will breed long-term success including F4s and banners. 

6 minutes ago, Bustout said:

TJD. Lander.  Hunter has played one season.   Those guys are talented.  A healthy Phin should be very solid too. 

The blueprint is to have talented studs like TJD and Lander plus juniors and seniors around them.   

Obviously the goal is a F4.  This is being built with his blueprint, which IMO, will breed long-term success including F4s and banners. 

That’s the goal. What I am saying is then you better be bringing in those special freshmen then. Good chance Trayce is gone and maybe Lander too next year. You need to keep bringing in those special players that you can play through on offense every year. It’s the mix. Aminu would be the next Romeo, Trayce, Lander level player that Leal/Galloway/Armaan would complement.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That’s the goal. What I am saying is then you better be bringing in those special freshmen then. Good chance Trayce is gone and maybe Lander too next year. You need to keep bringing in those special players that you can play through on offense every year. It’s the mix. Aminu would be the next Romeo, Trayce, Lander level player that Leal/Galloway/Armaan would complement.

Agree. But we don’t know the ins and outs of Aminus recruitment. Same with Wesley.  Maybe some red flags.

Also - if these winter athletes are granted another year, maybe the thinking is Al gets another season and they focus on some super studs for the next class?  Or now that the transfer situation will be more favorable for IU, maybe they go that route?  Not ideal, but could replace Aminu. 

3 hours ago, Bustout said:

Like Seth Greenberg said on the Dakich show, "if you've got one one-and-done, you're done." They have to be the right fit, as Villanova saw with Jahvon Quinerly.  I have no idea if Aminu would fit right in and help the team or if he'd be more worried about his draft stock and hinder the development of guys that will be here for a few years. It's a tough situation because Archie has to have a good year and it will be tough in a loaded conference. I do believe IU will have a good season if they get a little luck in the injury department.

35 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Like Seth Greenberg said on the Dakich show, "if you've got one one-and-done, you're done." They have to be the right fit, as Villanova saw with Jahvon Quinerly.  I have no idea if Aminu would fit right in and help the team or if he'd be more worried about his draft stock and hinder the development of guys that will be here for a few years. It's a tough situation because Archie has to have a good year and it will be tough in a loaded conference. I do believe IU will have a good season if they get a little luck in the injury department.

No offense to Seth but did he ever coach a OAD? Of course they have to be a fit. Every recruit needs to be a fit. He made the NCAA tournament 3 times total. Twice in the Big West Conference...so how exactly does he know?

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Exactly. People think I’m negative but it’s as almost like they just want to make the tournament. That’s the goal. I want special players that will get us to the final four.

You have to start making the tournament before worrying about winning it.  I want Archie to build IU like the model at UVA or Villanova over what we see at UK or Duke.

57 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No offense to Seth but did he ever coach a OAD? Of course they have to be a fit. Every recruit needs to be a fit. He made the NCAA tournament 3 times total. Twice in the Big West Conference...so how exactly does he know?

Well he follows basketball and has conenctions to all the college coaches.  I would say he probably knows more about this than any message board guy who thinks they know more than everyone else.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

As opposed to some random poster on a message board.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well he follows basketball and has conenctions to all the college coaches.  I would say he probably knows more about this than any message board guy who thinks they know more than everyone else.

Just to make the point..Villanova won a NC with a OAD Omari Spellman. Gonzaga made championship with a OAD Zack Collins. Many teams that aren’t OAD factories make excellent runs in the tournament with a OAD on the roster...including teams you wouldn’t associate it with like Michigan St, UNC, Ohio St, Texas Tech, Syracuse, Alabama, and Florida St. Those aren’t UK, KU, and Duke who are full of them. These are teams that have OAD talent mixed in with veteran players. So to say you if you don’t have a full team of them there is going to be inside turmoil and strife and you won’t accomplish anything to me is patently false. It’s ok...Greenberg constantly hates on OAD kids and the programs. Here’s an article about what he Has said about OADs and how short sighted it is. I’m sure he knows tons more then me but I don’t take everything I hear as fact or truth without testing it first. I think he just doesn’t like the rule and change in college basketball landscape but that doesn’t mean what he is saying is 100% fact.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fanbuzz.com/college-basketball/blanket-statements-seth-greenberg-regarding-one-and-done-culture-not-helping/amp/

40 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Just to make the point..Villanova won a NC with a OAD Omari Spellman. Gonzaga made championship with a OAD Zack Collins. Many teams that aren’t OAD factories make excellent runs in the tournament with a OAD on the roster...including teams you wouldn’t associate it with like Michigan St, UNC, Ohio St, Texas Tech, Syracuse, Alabama, and Florida St. Those aren’t UK, KU, and Duke who are full of them. These are teams that have OAD talent mixed in with veteran players. So to say you if you don’t have a full team of them there is going to be inside turmoil and strife and you won’t accomplish anything to me is patently false. It’s ok...Greenberg constantly hates on OAD kids and the programs. Here’s an article about what he Has said about OADs and how short sighted it is. I’m sure he knows tons more then me but I don’t take everything I hear as fact or truth without testing it first. I think he just doesn’t like the rule and change in college basketball landscape but that doesn’t mean what he is saying is 100% fact.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fanbuzz.com/college-basketball/blanket-statements-seth-greenberg-regarding-one-and-done-culture-not-helping/amp/

Wrong on Spellman because he had to sit ut his frehsman year and then played one year.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Wrong on Spellman because he had to sit ut his frehsman year and then played one year.

My bad. I just remember him being a freshman. Point still remains OAD players aren’t necessarily a program killer. We are seeing more and more coaches figure out how to incorporate these kids into their program and be successful.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My bad. I just remember him being a freshman. Point still remains OAD players aren’t necessarily a program killer. We are seeing more and more coaches figure out how to incorporate these kids into their program and be successful.

Never said they were killers but the point is that many see one OAD on a team can hurt you chemistry.  They might come in more worried about themselves and their draft stock.  If you have an experience team who has played together for years and if the coach just gives everything to the OAD player it will cause a conflict

Archived