Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Never said they were killers but the point is that many see one OAD on a team can hurt you chemistry.  They might come in more worried about themselves and their draft stock.  If you have an experience team who has played together for years and if the coach just gives everything to the OAD player it will cause a conflict

No you didn’t. I believe another poster brought Greenberg’s absurd comment into it. Archie has put together an unselfish and team first program. He has handled a OAD before and might have another this year. I don’t think he would bring in a problem kid. I trust him at least that much. So if he wants to bring in Aminu I think that means Aminu wouldn’t be a distraction to the team and make us better. Not kill our season like Seth implies.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

But if I'm a five-star guard (reportedly) considering jumping straight to the G-League, none of those guys would keep me from coming to Bloomington. I'd be confident that I would beat them out for PT.

But if you didn't beat them out for plying time,  what would that do to team chemistry?  

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not much If the coach has a good handle on things. Worse case scenario kid transfers.

I doubt if a one and done player would transfer.  The way Ben Simmons acted at LSU just really tunred me off of the one and done players.  It was always about him and he had no desire to be at LSU or go to class.

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I doubt if a one and done player would transfer.  The way Ben Simmons acted at LSU just really tunred me off of the one and done players.  It was always about him and he had no desire to be at LSU or go to class.

You’re spot on. He would have went G league route if able to at the time. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Your right...they’re all like that. How did we ever put up with Romeo. Probably should kick Lander off the team before he ruins the whole program. Knowing what we do about LSU that is no surprise. When you pay kids that much to come there they are going to think the run everything. We don’t have a coach like that nor a program.

If you have a good coach with a strong handle on your program you have nothing to worry about. The kid from Villanova sat all year and then transferred without a peep. At least I didn’t see it hurt them. We just lost out on a top 40 recruit and now we want to throw in the towel on a top 15 kid because he may only stay for one year? Our fans are so weird sometimes. Like we want to stay in mediocrity forever. People make fun of Painter for taking 15 years or whatever and getting to 1 elite eight. Well at the pace we are going at and the level of kids we would be recruiting if we stay away from kids that might go pro early we will be lucky to have the same success in the next decade.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Your right...they’re all like that. How did we ever put up with Romeo. Probably should kick Lander off the team before he ruins the whole program. Knowing what we do about LSU that is no surprise. When you pay kids that much to come there they are going to think the run everything. We don’t have a coach like that nor a program.

If you have a good coach with a strong handle on your program you have nothing to worry about. The kid from Villanova sat all year and then transferred without a peep. At least I didn’t see it hurt them. We just lost out on a top 40 recruit and now we want to throw in the towel on a top 15 kid because he may only stay for one year? Our fans are so weird sometimes. Like we want to stay in mediocrity forever. People make fun of Painter for taking 15 years or whatever and getting to 1 elite eight. Well at the pace we are going at and the level of kids we would be recruiting if we stay away from kids that might go pro early we will be lucky to have the same success in the next decade.

Lander will not be a one and done player.  Also there is a difference to me with a kid who comes in knowing he is defintly a one and done over a player who plays well enough and becomes a one and done.  Like your reference of Zach Collins at Gonzaga because no one thought he would leave after one year coming out of high school.  He came in and played well and became a one and done player.

Where did you see that anyone said that they wanted to not even go after Muhammad.  The coaching staff knows by talking with him on what his agenda is when going to college. If he or his guardian comes in and only talk about what the coaching staff can do for the player then I would have a problem.  If they talk to the coaches and asked what he can work on to get better and how he can help the team win then I don't a problem.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Lander will not be a one and done player.  Also there is a difference to me with a kid who comes in knowing he is defintly a one and done over a player who plays well enough and becomes a one and done.  Like your reference of Zach Collins at Gonzaga because no one thought he would leave after one year coming out of high school.  He came in and played well and became a one and done player.

We will see about Khristian. People said Romeo might not go...but of course he did. Lander has the tools and athleticism...he is on a OAD path given his skill set and ranking. If he gets a first rd grade I feel confident he will go..as he should.

Just now, dgambill said:

We will see about Khristian. People said Romeo might not go...but of course he did. Lander has the tools and athleticism...he is on a OAD path given his skill set and ranking. If he gets a first rd grade I feel confident he will go..as he should.

I have not seen anyone mention at al about Lander being a one and done player.  Let me ask you do you think if they could go staight out of hgh school like they use do you think Lander would go out of high school.  To me the answer is no so to me he came a year earlier so in two year she can go to the NBA.  To me he is probably ar least two years from being NBA ready so instead of playing another year of high school he decided to play 2 years of college.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have not seen anyone mention at al about Lander being a one and done player.  Let me ask you do you think if they could go staight out of hgh school like they use do you think Lander would go out of high school.  To me the answer is no so to me he came a year earlier so in two year she can go to the NBA.  To me he is probably ar least two years from being NBA ready so instead of playing another year of high school he decided to play 2 years of college.

He could never have left high school early to go to the nba even if he wanted. He was always going to have to play this year HS or College regardless if the rules would have been different. At least from what I understand them. Maybe you are correct...but I will be shocked if he comes back (unless he has a down year or injury). Regardless the kid is on a different path then say Anthony Leal or Galloway or the rest of the team...if he is one of those selfish get to the nba kids like Seth implies about them then we shouldn’t have recruited him. There are bad apples for sure. But I trust Archie to know who and what this team needs...and he is recruiting Aminu hard and I trust that if we land him he would be very beneficial for the program.

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

IDK. Romeo was 6’6, 215. Khristian is 6’2, 165. 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

He could never have left high school early to go to the nba even if he wanted. He was always going to have to play this year HS or College regardless if the rules would have been different. At least from what I understand them. Maybe you are correct...but I will be shocked if he comes back (unless he has a down year or injury). Regardless the kid is on a different path then say Anthony Leal or Galloway or the rest of the team...if he is one of those selfish get to the nba kids like Seth implies about them then we shouldn’t have recruited him. There are bad apples for sure. But I trust Archie to know who and what this team needs...and he is recruiting Aminu hard and I trust that if we land him he would be very beneficial for the program.

I know he couldn't but if they had different rules.  Do you think after next year Lander could go straight to the NBA if they had the old rules.  My point is I feel he is more than one year from being ready for the NBA.  Most of the one and done players or guys who use to go straight to the NBA was not 6'0 175.  Also n one said all of them are bad apples and it depends on what their agenda is when they get here.

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

IDK. Romeo was 6’6, 215. Khristian is 6’2, 165. 

So...Khristian also is a pg...and the #1 ranked in his class. #1 pgs project to the nba. I think he has a very similar game and style to someone I watched very closely when I lived in Kentucky....Ja Morant. Elite speed even with the ball in his hands, developing into a better shooter, passes extremely well with both hands, Creates for others. Lander might not have exactly the same leaping ability but he ain’t no slouch. I watched Ja as a freshman. He was special but still figuring things out. Raw...then I saw how much work he put in and then his sophomore year...wow. Seen tons of his games in person. I see that same special potential in Khristian. Up to him if he unlocks it.

To me when I am looking at Lander I look at Kira Lewis who reclassified and went to Alabama.  He stayed two years and there HS stats and measurements are pretty similar.  Both were really young when they arrived at college so I just think Lander will be here at least two years.  Also Ashton Hagens did the same thing and he was also a PG with the same measurables and he stayed 2 years.

Just now, dgambill said:

So...Khristian also is a pg...and the #1 ranked in his class. #1 pgs project to the nba. I think he has a very similar game and style to someone I watched very closely when I lived in Kentucky....Ja Morant. Elite speed even with the ball in his hands, developing into a better shooter, passes extremely well with both hands, Creates for others. Lander might not have exactly the same leaping ability but he ain’t no slouch. I watched Ja as a freshman. He was special but still figuring things out. Raw...then I saw how much work he put in and then his sophomore year...wow. Seen tons of his games in person. I see that same special potential in Khristian. Up to him if he unlocks it.

Morant stayed two years and did not reclassify so Morant actually entered the NBA 3 years difference from Lander if he leaves after this year.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

To me when I am looking at Lander I look at Kira Lewis who reclassified and went to Alabama.  He stayed two years and there HS stats and measurements are pretty similar.  Both were really young when they arrived at college so I just think Lander will be here at least two years.  Also Ashton Hagens did the same thing and he was also a PG with the same measurables and he stayed 2 years.

He may...and they did...but that was not the plan for either of them. They wanted to be OAD. He may not have that kind of impact and have to come back...but I don’t think that is his mindset.

Just now, dgambill said:

He may...and they did...but that was not the plan for either of them. They wanted to be OAD. He may not have that kind of impact and have to come back...but I don’t think that is his mindset.

Lewis stats his freshman year was good enough to leave but stayed another year.  I just get tired of players being pushed to the NBA at such an early age and if they want to stay it is considered a problem.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Morant stayed two years and did not reclassify so Morant actually entered the NBA 3 years difference from Lander if he leaves after this year.

Lander is more advanced then Morant at the same age. I saw morant as a freshman coming in and all his games. Lander is ahead of him even a year sooner.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Lewis stats his freshman year was good enough to leave but stayed another year.  I just get tired of players being pushed to the NBA at such an early age and if they want to stay it is considered a problem.

Nobody at IU will be pushing him...unlike what we see at Kentucky. But if the NBA is offering first rd money and that is his dream...he should take it. Anyways...neither of us will be proven right tonight. Long season to go. Hopefully we enjoy a great one from him.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Nobody at IU will be pushing him...unlike what we see at Kentucky. But if the NBA is offering first rd money and that is his dream...he should take it. Anyways...neither of us will be proven right tonight. Long season to go. Hopefully we enjoy a great one from him.

We will just have to agree to disagree with this topic.  I went back to the 2013 draft and there has only been 7 one and done players under 6'3 to get drafted in the first round.  All of them did not reclassify so my thinking is his age and size will go against him being a one and done player.  I just hope some of you guys are not over hyping him and if he has some early growing paines then fans turn on him.  There are people out there that thinks Romeo had a bad freshman year even thought he had the 2nd highest average as freshman in Indiana history.

I am one who thinks that Lander might not start right away because I feel that RP and Al will start at the guard position.  If they go to a 3 guard lineup then he will start but I could see him not starting early on.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

We will just have to agree to disagree with this topic.  I went back to the 2013 draft and there has only been 7 one and done players under 6'3 to get drafted in the first round.  All of them did not reclassify so my thinking is his age and size will go against him being a one and done player.  I just hope some of you guys are not over hyping him and if he has some early growing paines then fans turn on him.  There are people out there that thinks Romeo had a bad freshman year even thought he had the 2nd highest average as freshman in Indiana history.

I am one who thinks that Lander might not start right away because I feel that RP and Al will start at the guard position.  If they go to a 3 guard lineup then he will start but I could see him not starting early on.

At this point all signs point to Lander starting and running the point from day 1, in a 3-guard/wing lineup, with IU’s / Cam’s focus being getting out in transition and down hill fast, and adding perimeter play to spread the floor. TJD, Rob (assuming health), Al, and Lander look highly likely to start, the 5th is probably Race, but could be Hunter as the season develops. 

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

At this point all signs point to Lander starting and running the point from day 1, in a 3-guard/wing lineup, with IU’s / Cam’s focus being getting out in transition and down hill fast, and adding perimeter play to spread the floor. TJD, Rob (assuming health), Al, and Lander look highly likely to start, the 5th is probably Race, but could be Hunter as the season develops. 

I'd bet Armaan or Jerome starts alongside Rob and Al over Kristian early in the season. Maybe Lander steals the spot later in the year but without seeing practice it's hard for me to see Lander starting over one of those 2. He's a stud I'm sure but he is still like 17 playing in the B1G 10. 

1 hour ago, Whozure2122 said:

I'd bet Armaan or Jerome starts alongside Rob and Al over Kristian early in the season. Maybe Lander steals the spot later in the year but without seeing practice it's hard for me to see Lander starting over one of those 2. He's a stud I'm sure but he is still like 17 playing in the B1G 10. 

This was my thinking early on particularly as Lander re-classified and is coming in young. After hearing reports of summer workouts and CAM's and player public comments including on Lander, i do think he'll start. Beyond being a 5-star point guard (generally, any 5-star PG will start unless the team already has one starting), he fits the bill that CAM is seeking to put in place -- a dynamic outlet team with floor spacing, with multiple ball handlers (and various players commented on having three ball handlers on the floor). I could certainly be wrong, just my opinion here, but this is how I see it. Adding Lander to the lineup with Rob and Al (or Hunter, but Al will start) is the look the team is going for.

Archived