Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

It’s not a minor league, although that’s what high end athletes are thinking anyway. They want to make it to the NBA. Nobody is advocating taking only 5 stars, but we are in no shape to turn away 5 star talent. I’d rather win being like duke than lose being like we are now. Talent wins. And nova and Virginia have a good mix which is what we want.  But that’s not what we got. I don’t get the aversion to have 1 and done players. You don’t build your program on them, but they certainly help. 

Basically a perfect post.  

IU isn't that good.

Talent helps winning and winning helps talent

Love the usual consistency of Nova and Virginia

And trying to build a program with one and dones going forward a terrible model.  Most of the immediate program changing talent is going to go straight to the pros here in another year and a half(if the rule change does happen).  Now is the time to load up on guys in that 25-100 range, develop them and when they are soph, junior, and senior laden teams, you compete year in, year out.  Very little drop offs and nothing like what Duke and UK will soon experience without 3-4 one and dones on the roster.  I'm actually surprised, neither has started to change up the recruiting approach yet.  Not sure if that's a signal that things aren't actually going to change or what.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Basically a perfect post.  

IU isn't that good.

Talent helps winning and winning helps talent

Love the usual consistency of Nova and Virginia

And trying to build a program with one and dones going forward a terrible model.  Most of the immediate program changing talent is going to go straight to the pros here in another year and a half(if the rule change does happen).  Now is the time to load up on guys in that 25-100 range, develop them and when they are soph, junior, and senior laden teams, you compete year in, year out.  Very little drop offs and nothing like what Duke and UK will soon experience without 3-4 one and dones on the roster.  I'm actually surprised, neither has started to change up the recruiting approach yet.  Not sure if that's a signal that things aren't actually going to change or what.

Noah Vonleh says hello.  Normally would be pulling for an ex-IU guy.  But not this one that is currently on the Denver Nuggets roster.  Unlike Eric Gordon... took time off at the end of the season at IU. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

It’s not a minor league, although that’s what high end athletes are thinking anyway. They want to make it to the NBA. Nobody is advocating taking only 5 stars, but we are in no shape to turn away 5 star talent. I’d rather win being like duke than lose being like we are now. Talent wins. And nova and Virginia have a good mix which is what we want.  But that’s not what we got. I don’t get the aversion to have 1 and done players. You don’t build your program on them, but they certainly help. 

Gordon, Voneh ancd Romeo all were sure fire one and done players and how did those work out.  What I don't want are guys who coming in know they are just staying one year.  If a player comes in and just blows up and then leaves that is one thing but I don't want the mentality of coming in knowing he is a one and done.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Noah Vonleh says hello.  Normally would be pulling for an ex-IU guy.  But not this one that is currently on the Denver Nuggets roster.  Unlike Eric Gordon... took time off at the end of the season at IU. 

What about him?  Strange commitment and circumstances.  Glad IU didn't get any infractions with him.  Wasn't a team first player.  

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

IMO one and done athletes are just a byproduct of your success. If you are a good coach and have a good program you are going to improve your players/have an eye for talent and put kids in the nba...be it early or in a few years. With those type of players you are going to win games. Win games put kids in the nba or have success and other kids will be drawn to your program. Now...there are some OAD kids that just latch on to any program willing to let them have carte Blanche over the whole program and use the program for themselves and that is not what I’m advocating but I think a good program/healthy program will be attractive to young men that want to play at the highest level and have a professional career. I trust Archie to know which kids have the right mentality for the program. After all Archie is under a lot of pressure to win...does him no good to bring in problem kids and shoot himself in the foot. If we can win some more and develop some more kids into nba talent...we are going to have to get used to seeing OAD caliber players interested in playing here. Get on board or get left behind.

I just look at programs who normally don't get elite talent and all of a sudden they start getting one and done players.  I see Ben Simmons going to LSU and now Washington has had 4 or 5 in the last few years and those have not worked very well

36 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

This is a fringe 5 star.  Not likely a one and done talent.  I like what CAM is building.  If he's comfortable allowing a kid he has gotten to know for over a year now to come join mid season... SIGN HIM UP

I literally knew you would respond with that exact post Scott.  Love you man.  You know I'm in the BGLEAS camp.  Build the program with basketball players and team first players, such as Armaan and Rob Phinisee.  Then sprinkle a high four or fringe 5 star players that's likely to stay 2, maybe 3 years, such as TJD and this young man.  Now we are back to competing for championships.  Simple recipe that many try and hit, like VA and Nova and North Carolina.  I'm not advocating a UK, Duke, or now Michigan system.  

I agree with the fringe 5 star but won't be sure fire one and done player.  UNC has built most of their teams around these type of players and done very well.  With UNC the last couple of years they had 3 one and done players and those seasons has not been great.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I would gladly take a roster with several one and dones if it translated into a real shot a championship.

Of the most successful IU teams of my lifetime, other than '87 I'd venture to say there was one and done talent on the roster...the rules just weren't there to allow it.

IT could have went but he came back.  It did not happen much at all back then but Magic and IT both left after there sophomore year.

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Just saying that I bet those teams would gladly take three 5 stars, but that's not their reality. 'One and done factories' are realistic for 2....maybe 3 teams in all of CBB. 

UVA, Nova and UW offer the occasional 5 star recruits that they think would work for their program. It doesn't mean that they are becoming a minor league program; it means they are being as efficient as their reality dictates. Just because they don't operate like Crean, who offers every 5 star in sight, doesn't mean that they don't want that caliber of talent. The notion that Archie wants to, or more importantly CAN, turn us into a program like UK or Duke is far fetched. It's a boogie man that you don't have to worry about @IU Scott .....because it aint happening. At least not in the near future. 

Yep...not enough of those kids around....heck UK can’t even field all freshman teams anymore because Duke is getting a share and Kansas etc. There are only so many in each class...maybe 10-15 with realistic chance that they have a shot to be OAD. When 3-4 teams get a majority that really only leaves a handful each year to go to schools like IU etc. We are never going to be a OAD factory so why worry. If we get 1-2 every 3-4 years be happy! The main point regardless is you aren’t going to win a championship without nba talent on your roster. You need 2-3 future nba players and that talent surrounded by a core of unselfish and solid role players. Even the Gonzaga’s and Texas Techs and Villanovas and Virginia’s are getting nba talent surrounded by those 4 year guys. I’d love for us to get to that point and until we do we can have all the 4 year/senior players we want but if they are at the level of Josh Newkirk, Deron Davis, Rob Johnson, Devonte Green, Zack Mcroberts, Evan Fitzner, Joey Brunk, Al Durham, and would have been Justin Smith we aren’t winning anything with that. No offense to any of those kids...nice kids...but that talent level no matter how you slice it wouldn’t go 500 in the conference USA much less the B1G. Now if they are a team of senior Juwan Morgan’s and Yogi Farrells that’s a different story...but I’d venture to say if you have 3 nba players like say a Romeo, TJD, and Morgan or OG or Vic or Bryant or Zeller surrounded by role players then you have a shot. Problem is we get one or maybe two nba caliber players at a time but when you get 3 or more...then we will see big things happen.

34 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

What about him?  Strange commitment and circumstances.  Glad IU didn't get any infractions with him.  Wasn't a team first player.  

Could not have said it any better..... definitely NOT a team first player.   Not only giving up at the end of the season..... never looked off for an open player. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

oh no, he was injured Mile, he didn't quit on his teammates. snark, snark...

56 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep...not enough of those kids around....heck UK can’t even field all freshman teams anymore because Duke is getting a share and Kansas etc. There are only so many in each class...maybe 10-15 with realistic chance that they have a shot to be OAD. When 3-4 teams get a majority that really only leaves a handful each year to go to schools like IU etc. We are never going to be a OAD factory so why worry. If we get 1-2 every 3-4 years be happy! The main point regardless is you aren’t going to win a championship without nba talent on your roster. You need 2-3 future nba players and that talent surrounded by a core of unselfish and solid role players. Even the Gonzaga’s and Texas Techs and Villanovas and Virginia’s are getting nba talent surrounded by those 4 year guys. I’d love for us to get to that point and until we do we can have all the 4 year/senior players we want but if they are at the level of Josh Newkirk, Deron Davis, Rob Johnson, Devonte Green, Zack Mcroberts, Evan Fitzner, Joey Brunk, Al Durham, and would have been Justin Smith we aren’t winning anything with that. No offense to any of those kids...nice kids...but that talent level no matter how you slice it wouldn’t go 500 in the conference USA much less the B1G. Now if they are a team of senior Juwan Morgan’s and Yogi Farrells that’s a different story...but I’d venture to say if you have 3 nba players like say a Romeo, TJD, and Morgan or OG or Vic or Bryant or Zeller surrounded by role players then you have a shot. Problem is we get one or maybe two nba caliber players at a time but when you get 3 or more...then we will see big things happen.

yup, ever since Duke opened up their pocketbooks, things changed for UK.

1 hour ago, goonaha said:

Love cherry picking examples to prove out that, no, actually we don't want to get the best talent possible to IU. Ridiculous.  

Who said they don't want talent but there are way more players ranked between 30-100 than the top 15.  What some of us are saying we don't want kids who are coming in here that know they are only staying one year.  I know being an lder fan that fans my age grew up watching IU basketball that was ra the right way.  To many of these one and done players ar elooking fo rmore than a scholarship for their one year of service and we don't want IU to be part of that.  Also growing up the IU fan base did not have the win at any cost attitude that seems that the newer  generation has.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Who said they don't want talent but there are way more players ranked between 30-100 than the top 15.  What some of us are saying we don't want kids who are coming in here that know they are only staying one year.  I know being an lder fan that fans my age grew up watching IU basketball that was ra the right way.  To many of these one and done players ar elooking fo rmore than a scholarship for their one year of service and we don't want IU to be part of that.  Also growing up the IU fan base did not have the win at any cost attitude that seems that the newer  generation has.

You literally say in this paragraph that you don't want guys that are only staying one year. Most of those guys tend to be pretty talented. And also guess what, some of the 30-100 are looking for something too. Who cares. We don't know. Trust the coaching staff to go after the right guys in that 1-30 range. The team in 2021-22 will be better with Aminu on it than it would be without. I don't see any way to dispute that. 

5 minutes ago, goonaha said:

You literally say in this paragraph that you don't want guys that are only staying one year. Most of those guys tend to be pretty talented. And also guess what, some of the 30-100 are looking for something too. Who cares. We don't know. Trust the coaching staff to go after the right guys in that 1-30 range. The team in 2021-22 will be better with Aminu on it than it would be without. I don't see any way to dispute that. 

You can have an opinion on how you want IU to build a program and I can have mine.  Those opinions differ which is ok but I will not change my view.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

You can have an opinion on how you want IU to build a program and I can have mine.  Those opinions differ which is ok but I will not change my view.

Obviously your opinion is your opinion. That's a basic fact of life. But your reasoning is contradicting itself. 

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So what you’re saying Scott, is that Archie should have turned down Romeo and should turn down any future recruit who has the talent to be OAD.

Yeah, and to think the critics don’t have enough ammunition already. Geez, can you imagine opposing coaches going into a recruit’s home with that knowledge? 

Scott, I respect that you want things like they were 30 years ago, but with that approach we might as well give up.

No way you can turn your back on select kids who have been blessed with enough talent to achieve their dreams quicker than the average players 

2 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Obviously your opinion is your opinion. That's a basic fact of life. But your reasoning is contradicting itself. 

I have had the same stance ad I always have.  I don't want a bunch of one and done players at IU. I want us to build our program like UVA and Villanova where most of their players stay 3-4 years.  I don't know how you think I am contradicting myself because I have said the same things as for years.

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

So what you’re saying Scott, is that Archie should have turned down Romeo and should turn down any future recruit who has the talent to be OAD.

Yeah, and to think the critics don’t have enough ammunition already. Geez, can you imagine opposing coaches going into a recruit’s home with that knowledge? 

Scott, I respect that you want things like they were 30 years ago, but with that approach we might as well give up.

No way you can turn your back on select kids who have been blessed with enough talent to achieve their dreams quicker than the average players 

I would have rather gotten a player like Aaron Henry or another player like him over Romeo.  In the long run having really good players staying multiple years is better than having a great player for 1 year.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Also I am not bringing up 30 years ago because I said build it line UVA or Villanova which has won 3 of the last 5 championships

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I have had the same stance ad I always have.  I don't want a bunch of one and done players at IU. I want us to build our program like UVA and Villanova where most of their players stay 3-4 years.  I don't know how you think I am contradicting myself because I have said the same things as for years.

You: "Who said they don't want talent 

Also you: I don't want talent that might only stay one year. 

You answered your question.

Also nobody is advocating for a bunch of one and done players, so don't put words in my mouth. We're simply talking about not turning guys down when good opportunities present themselves that make sense to the coaching staff (a la Romeo, a la Aminu). Especially when the team is desperate for a talent infusion, as they currently are.

I also find this discussion funny, because we have no idea if Aminu is dead-set on 1 and done. He might have a TJD two years and out approach. And at a minimum he'd be on campus for 1.5 years even if he does only play one season. Does 1.5 years cross your threshold of acceptableness?

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would have rather gotten a player like Aaron Henry or another player like him over Romeo.  In the long run having really good players staying multiple years is better than having a great player for 1 year.

Scott this is why having any conversation with you is so freaking frustrating. You are just like a politician talking out of both sides of your mouth.

On one hand, you have vociferously touted how CAM has brought in the last 3 Indiana Mr. Basketballs— as a means of defending his recruiting ability. And, that includes Romeo..

Then, you say that you’d rather not have Romeo, 

You’re opinion isn’t the same and will never change. Your opinion is whatever fits the moment.

Hard to respect a poster who isn’t true to one belief, whether I agree with it or not 

Archived