Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

TK-wanted smaller stage

Miller-looked at Galloway, Franklin, Geronimo, Leal, Hunter....maybe Al...shoot even Race and thought minutes aren't given because of competition. 

Mohammed-good luck to the kid....but his handlers are the types that call 5 minutes after a game wondering when the kid is going to get his looks. Crean can offer that right now. Archie is trying to get control of the program. 2 different operations right now.

Just not sure why so many point to this class when it's obvious we are stacking depth. Add a transfer and load up in 2022. To my in my 5 cent opinion the only one that hurts in this is TK and he chose a different platform for a few reasons. It happens. 

We definitely need at least one big man.  If Muhammad goes elsewhere we have depth at his position

Just now, Hoosierfan1901 said:

They said in that Article Georgetown has some room, unless they did not do their research 

Well they did not realize even if Crean found room by someone leaving they couldn't use that scholarship. I don't think some of these so called journalist do much research

Just now, Hoosierfan1901 said:

They said in that Article Georgetown has some room, unless they did not do their research 

Who knows. I'm convinced most people writing these stories can't count to 13.  An earlier article definitely said Georgetown was full as well.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Here me out here and look at the last 3 coaches who were here for awhile.  To me if you look back at Davis, Crean and Miller and they started out well recruiting and then started to go down.  I wouldn't say Miller is totally going down yet but just looking at the coaches.  Some will say that recruits probably just saw the coach and you got to know them better. You could also say the first few years those coaches still had the fans behind them.  Is it a coinensedence or is it a pattern that once the fans started turning on the coaches is when recruiting started going down.

I think what’s hurting him currently is people see his offense with Crean’s guys and that hurt him in next years class but even if kids aren’t making shots I do think his offense looks difference. A lot more back cuts and screens and pick and rolls where TJD is wide open. A lot more ball movement and a lot more open 3s in my opinion. So I think that recruiting could change coming up soon.

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Good lord, people. I'm making this argument in the context of a 5* recruit looking to maximize his draft potential and the examples of improvement you pull up for Miller are Durham, Franklin, and Thompson? Seriously?

They are all players that I am happy are here and Frozone is one of my favorite players on the team. Thompson and Franklin look good so far this year in the small sample size we have. None of them are probably All-Conference level much less NBA level. 

Do you need a side by side comparison of Crean and Miller draft picks? My point is that Crean has a MUCH better track record of getting players drafted highly. I believe that is what will be the deciding factor in this recruitment. I could be wrong, and I certainly hope I am because that wouldn't bode well for IU's chance here.

Edit: I see Phinisee is now included. The above applies to him as well, as his amount of improvement is not going to convince a 5* recruit.

Do you think that the body transformation if Race Thompson all over ESPN helps a recruit because when you already have a body like Aminu and it can be even more transformed then that should be something highly considered because Crean has never transformed any body like IU does now

So say he goes to UGA and pays his own way for a semester.   How much is he looking at paying?  Say he takes just the minimum class hours to be able to participate with the team to keep the cost down.  Maybe the guardian moves there to so room and board isn't a factor.  We aren't talking that much are we($14k is what google says fwiw)?  Plus he goes to a private school now so maybe he saves that 1/2 a year of tuition there($3,300 according to google again).   I dunno but that pay your own way semester might not be an issue if he's sold on CTC and UGA.  And the guardian is paying right?  He's looking at it as an investment.

Go Hoosiers!!!

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

It’s your opinion Scott. It can’t be proven or disproven. I point to the fact that there are plenty of fan bases just as passionate and sometimes just as critical as ours and that hasn’t stopped their recruiting. Kids go to play for a coach....not a program...even back in Knights day you heard them say that. They wanted to go play for Bob Knight. Essentially your coach IS your program. If you have a kid say he doesn’t want to go to school somewhere and it’s because of the fans it’s a lie. I don’t believe them. Kids really don’t want to play for your coach. I can’t convince you of that nor can any one else of anything because you’ve never admitted you are wrong about anything. You just dig in deeper. Thats cool. I’ve been wrong before and I’ll happily be wrong if this team really starts improving their shooting and wins a bunch more games this year. I just disagree Scott. I’ll leave it at that. I usually try to find common ground with someone. Argue a point to try to come to some kind of consensus about at least a part of what each side sees. I’ll just have to agree to disagree.

I’m gonna say this until I’m blue in the face and I don’t care if people get tired of me saying it. The reason these other coaches INCLUDING Purdue are having success is because the head coach is the lead recruiter from the beginning. It’s not Archie’s philosophy IMO but to me if it’s our offense ok but if what you’re saying above is true I agree kids come to play for a coach and when a 5* player doesn’t get the head coach to recruit him from the beginning that makes a difference. Romeo has Miller as a lead recruiter and Shocker he came here. TK did not have Archie as the lead recruiter but Painter was the lead recruiter and he went to Purdue.

2 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I’m gonna say this until I’m blue in the face and I don’t care if people get tired of me saying it. The reason these other coaches INCLUDING Purdue are having success is because the head coach is the lead recruiter from the beginning. It’s not Archie’s philosophy IMO but to me if it’s our offense ok but if what you’re saying above is true I agree kids come to play for a coach and when a 5* player doesn’t get the head coach to recruit him from the beginning that makes a difference. Romeo has Miller as a lead recruiter and Shocker he came here. TK did not have Archie as the lead recruiter but Painter was the lead recruiter and he went to Purdue.

Don’t you think if that was the only factor that Archie would just be the lead recruiter on everyone he wanted? You say Kaufman didn’t choose IU because Archie was the lead recruiter but I highly highly doubt that was a real factor at all. 

41 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Don’t you think if that was the only factor that Archie would just be the lead recruiter on everyone he wanted? You say Kaufman didn’t choose IU because Archie was the lead recruiter but I highly highly doubt that was a real factor at all. 

But if Archie doesn’t think that’s the problem he’s not gonna switch. 99.9% of college head coaches are the lead recruiters on someone they REALLY want. 99.9% of the time with IU Ostrom is the lead recruiter. It’s a problem IMO along with concerns of offense scheme. With that being said these are very fixable problems. The problem with the fan base is they forget these shooters we brought in.... Leal and Galloway are just freshman and not 5 star top 25 either. These kids have to learn so so so much and adjust in ways that I couldn’t imagine. Once they figure it out our offense changes. Leal has multiple opportunities to shoot a 3 and he just didn’t take it. He was 0-1 from 3 if I remember correctly. As a basketball coach trust me I can tell a kid something a million times but if they don’t have the confidence in themselves then they aren’t gonna listen. 

The problem is Archie has to start winning big-time.  Although the team has improved each year, IU is still trying to get out of the middle of the B1G pack into the contenders.  We're not producing a bunch of NBA players.  Archie's contract is for 6 years.  He may not be coaching IU when current recruits sign-up.

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If we lose Muhammad it just makes you wonder what has happened.  The last 3 classes we got the majority of the guys we went after hard.  Now it would be like 1 for 5 so I wondering why.  It is not like we have been horrible and have improved every year.  Maybe kids don't like the defensive minded coach that Archie is but those other classes new this as well.  Also maybe it is how our offense had looked but at Dayton Archie's offense was pretty good.

It should not make you wonder. Maybe that recruits are being told one thing and what they see when they watch Indiana basketball are not the same. 

I can't stand PU but CMP goes after guys that fit what he wants to do. If we are selling guys on one thing but not delivering with our play , recruits have to take that into consideration.  Most kids not all, want to compete for some type of championship. That is why I keep saying this year is crucial. We are seeing it play out that our play is hurting recruiting. Not the fans on any message board

12 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Right.  The "Creaning" does zero for a spring scholarship.  What it does do is tell Aminu there is one less player to complete with for playing time next season.

Hard for me to see a kid trying to create a marquee brand choosing Georgia basketball over IU.  Anthony Edwards makes more sense...he was local and Crean promised him free reign (I assume), but if I'm a five-star wanting maximum basketball exposure, why would I choose a football school?  I don't see Georgia being invited to the Maui Invitational, especially if Crean sends video of himself shooting free throws.

Take it for what its worth. A couple AAU coaches gave told me that a lot of kids that plan on being 1 and done or even 2 year players are looking hard at playing in the SEC. They called it the UK factor. They understand all the love UK gets and to have 2 cracks a year to go against their 5 star talent is better stage and opportunity than they can get almost anywhere else. To be the man at a lower SEC school and to go off against UK immediately gets you credit that's hard to find with other programs. I said it last year that CTC was putting together the video to show recruits when DWADE during the CBT talked so so highly of Crean.  At that time those games were the only bassetball we could watch.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think TJD had improved since the day he got on campus. Also Edwards was a o e and done no matter where he was and considered to be a high pick before going to UGA.  Romeo was a lottery pick last year

A lottery pick that was in the 4 to 7 range and ended up 14th. The guys that do the mock drafts have mostly said that RL would have been better off not playing any at IU. those are the types if things that 5 star kids look at

13 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Right.  The "Creaning" does zero for a spring scholarship.  What it does do is tell Aminu there is one less player to complete with for playing time next season.

Hard for me to see a kid trying to create a marquee brand choosing Georgia basketball over IU.  Anthony Edwards makes more sense...he was local and Crean promised him free reign (I assume), but if I'm a five-star wanting maximum basketball exposure, why would I choose a football school?  I don't see Georgia being invited to the Maui Invitational, especially if Crean sends video of himself shooting free throws.

UGA was in Maui Invite last year.. 

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

A lottery pick that was in the 4 to 7 range and ended up 14th. The guys that do the mock drafts have mostly said that RL would have been better off not playing any at IU. those are the types if things that 5 star kids look at

Ok but by the same logic or same neighborhood of logic when Marquis Teauge was a 5 star one and done from UK and ended up being a bust after less than one year. Does that mean he should have not played at UK, played at another school or gone directly to NBA? Or how did Cal continue to get 5 star PG's 10 years later?

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ok but by the same logic or same neighborhood of logic when Marquis Teauge was a 5 star one and done from UK and ended up being a bust after less than one year. Does that mean he should have not played at UK, played at another school or gone directly to NBA? Or how did Cal continue to get 5 star PG's 10 years later?

Cal has a track record. AD just signed for 190 mil, Wall makes 42 mil a year Booker etc etc...

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Cal has a track record. AD just signed for 190 mil, Wall makes 42 mil a year Booker etc etc...

Understand. Just seems like Archie has been an easy mark lately when the best of the best batting averages are less than 40% anyway. All good. Wish Aminu well. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Understand. Just seems like Archie has been an easy mark lately when the best of the best batting averages are less than 40% anyway. All good. Wish Aminu well. 

It all comes down to product. Watch what happens to IU football if next year is like this season. Being ranked having National guys talking about it playing primie time slots and getting exposure. Our recruiting will explode. Same as basketball.  We are relegated to ESPN 2 at best. None to little national talk about IU basketball. We seldom even get highlights on sportscaster and when we do its usually not positive.  We get great opponents in the ACC/BIG because of our fan base. All those things come into play. 

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It all comes down to product. Watch what happens to IU football if next year is like this season. Being ranked having National guys talking about it playing primie time slots and getting exposure. Our recruiting will explode. Same as basketball.  We are relegated to ESPN 2 at best. None to little national talk about IU basketball. We seldom even get highlights on sportscaster and when we do its usually not positive.  We get great opponents in the ACC/BIG because of our fan base. All those things come into play. 

Just a couple of quick comments. IU has the toughest Big 10 schedule because of what? TV. We are the only program in Big 10 to have 2 games on National TV Fox and CBS at this point. I think you underestimate the draw still but the TV folks don't.

In terms of highlights on Sportscenter. That went bye bye about 20 years ago when ESPN just started promoting ACC. Wouldn't use that as a barometer at all. 

Regarding Aminu Mohammad though. There's been plenty puffs of smoke around him. If we miss we miss but I don't think it's best to bust the best Indiana recruiter we've had at IU since Knight. 

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a couple of quick comments. IU has the toughest Big 10 schedule because of what? TV. We are the only program in Big 10 to have 2 games on National TV Fox and CBS at this point. I think you underestimate the draw still but the TV folks don't.

In terms of highlights on Sportscenter. That went bye bye about 20 years ago when ESPN just started promoting ACC. Wouldn't use that as a barometer at all. 

Regarding Aminu Mohammad though. There's been plenty puffs of smoke around him. If we miss we miss but I don't think it's best to bust the best Indiana recruiter we've had at IU since Knight

I'm not sure the bolded is something to really be excited about.  Not very stiff competition since Knight.  

2021: 100

2020: 27, 99, 147, 148

2019: 30, 151

2018: 7, 59, 124, 135, 147

Outside of Romeo, TJD, and Lander its sort of meh.  I think he's done well bringing in one headliner per class but after that...the talent drop off is too steep imo. 

*especially if the headliner is only sticking around for 1-2 years. 

Archived