Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I watched him play at UT Martin. Kid could score in bunches...but he also was given the keys to do what he wants. He virtually played 40 mins and his dad never got on him for a bad shot or forcing things. The turnovers are a result of playing on a very very bad team and him having no structure. He put up big numbers but that team chucked 3s like they were the Houston Rockets.....and lost a TON of games. My worry is he didn’t make them better despite being the best player on the floor night in and night out. He really was a mismatch physically and skill wise for most kids in the OVC but his play really didn’t move the needle for his team. If he will fit in to the program and accept a lesser role the kid could certainly help us in shooting category. If he just wants to chuck it up and get his numbers and get more attention for the nba which he withdrew his name from then no thanks. He is a smart kid though...has his masters already. Just not sure because of how his career has gone what’s important to him and what we will get with his attitude. Being the coaches son and having free reign could lead to a headcase like Devonte (with similar offensive upside) but hurt team chemistry. Or he may accept a role and come in and help us because he did that at Pitt for a year.

Totally agree

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Neither is set in stone.  Coach Miller keeping his options open.  A Dec. 15 decision is NOT set in stone.  Could happen or not. 

Yeah, I thought that earlier when we changed the thread title.  The guardian indicated early on that December 15th was a target but it may extend beyond that.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I haven't look back to old mock drafts but was Romeo definitely a top 5 pick before his first year at IU.

He was #5 recruit in the country...I’d argue maybe should have been higher. Mocks had him anywhere 4-10 basically right after the Duke kids. Drafting always comes down to team needs vs player position and skill. So it varied...but he was really close from falling out of the lottery and leading up to the draft I saw some suggest late teens early 20s...in the end his potential was too much to pass up over his poor shooting.

In the end...Aminu should go where he thinks will best serve him. I know he has talked about leaving early and if that is the case then IU is clear favorite. That said if he likes Crean and Georgia then it makes perfect sense to just go in the summer. Either way the kid isn’t playing til 21...why base your decision on a couple months. Go where you want and I wouldn’t let a few months deter me. If that is IU he gets a little early start but if that is Georgia then he starts in the summer...I don’t think the timing will make the difference. It’s a huge decision and to me location/program trumps timing.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, I thought that earlier when we changed the thread title.  The guardian indicated early on that December 15th was a target but it may extend beyond that.

December 15th is Mohammed's birthday. Not saying he won't announce on his birthday.  Just that I have been told the announcement COULD go beyond that date.

16 minutes ago, DWB said:

If he does extend the date, I think it automatically rules us out. He (or his guardian) is just not that comfortable with IU.

I wouldn’t say that but I’d say the longer it goes the more likely he won’t enroll early and that opens him up to lots of other schools such as Georgia. That would make our chances much less likely. 

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

I wouldn’t say that but I’d say the longer it goes the more likely he won’t enroll early and that opens him up to lots of other schools such as Georgia. That would make our chances much less likely. 

We  lost a southern Indiana Mr.Basketball to Purdue so we could lose an out of state 5 star kid to just about anyone.

My gut tells me Georgia. Kids wants to get to the NBA and CTC has Wade, Oladipo and now Edwards on his resume as guards that were very good in college and made it to the NBA(Edwards is just now starting but I think he’ll be fine). Oh btw Aminu is a guard isn’t he? Oh didn’t Georgia just open a scholly up too? I’m not saying he’ll pick UGA but the stars are aligning and pointing that way. 

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

We  lost a southern Indiana Mr.Basketball to Purdue so we could lose an out of state 5 star kid to just about anyone.

Of course. I still think we have a good shot...I mean we are losing Al next year. Aminu would stand an excellent chance to slide right into that scoring guard role for us too. We have more talent in the backcourt with Rob/Khristian/Armaan/Galloway for Aminu to play off of. He would have more help here imo which would open the floor up for him. Can’t understate the important of playing alongside talent to raise all boats. The chance to play next to Lander I think would be a huge plus. But yes...longer it goes and especially if he opts to not go early it isn’t encouraging.

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Of course. I still think we have a good shot...I mean we are losing Al next year. Aminu would stand an excellent chance to slide right into that scoring guard role for us too. We have more talent in the backcourt with Rob/Khristian/Armaan/Galloway for Aminu to play off of. He would have more help here imo which would open the floor up for him. Can’t understate the important of playing alongside talent to raise all boats. The chance to play next to Lander I think would be a huge plus. But yes...longer it goes and especially if he opts to not go early it isn’t encouraging.

I don't know what the other teams have, but if I was a scoring wing and watching IU the idea of playing with Phinisee, Lander and Galloway specifically next season would appeal to me. A senior point guard in Phinisee who is unselfish, and both Lander and Galloway play fast and are good passers who look to move the ball quickly. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Seems like this kid is a more talented version of Galloway. He should see the success Galloway is having early on and think that he could be doing that and more. We are in need of a guy that can create off the dribble.

I hope Galloways enthusiasm and confidence rubs off. He plays fearless for a freshman. You can see he still is a bit raw around the edges and a little slow of foot laterally but man he plays hard and fast downhill.

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I hope Galloways enthusiasm and confidence rubs off. He plays fearless for a freshman. You can see he still is a bit raw around the edges and a little slow of foot laterally but man he plays hard and fast downhill.

I do, too. Someone like him is what had been missing the past few seasons, especially if he can be enough of a leader that it becomes contagious.

12 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

I'm getting tired of recruiting guys who only care about the NBA.

I don't know who you think that applies to, but TJD seems to have stepped up his game in a way that is not geared toward the NBA, Romeo played through injuries in a way that probably damaged his draft stock. Too soon to say about Lander I suppose, but he does not seem to be a one and done. I'll take more of those.

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't know who you think that applies to, but TJD seems to have stepped up his game in a way that is not geared toward the NBA, Romeo played through injuries in a way that probably damaged his draft stock. Too soon to say about Lander I suppose, but he does not seem to be a one and done. I'll take more of those.

I can't tell you how many players we have lost due to wanting to play a position or for a coach or program that will 'get them to the league.

How many guys go to the NBA? 5-10%? Maybe we need to become Wisconsin and recruit guys who want to be a part of a college basketball program. Wisconsin on steroids maybe.

19 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

95% of players good enough to get a scholarship offer to IU have goals of playing in the NBA 

It's fine to have goals but it shouldn't be the end all be all.

Whatever Wisconsin has been doing the last 20 years has worked very well. It's basically Knight ball lite. It's something that can be sustained. Maybe we should look at that?

2 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

It's fine to have goals but it shouldn't be the end all be all.

Whatever Wisconsin has been doing the last 20 years has worked very well. It's basically Knight ball lite. It's something that can be sustained. Maybe we should look at that?

I personally feel that this is the approach Archie should take. I believe that it is the culture that is more sustainable and it is the approach that ultimately will resonate more with IU fans. We should be looking to recruit in the mode of Wisconsin and Purdue, or possibly a more rugged version like West Virginia instead of trying to go the route of Michigan under Howard, or Kentucky, Duke, or Kansas. 

Give me Galloway's attitude in PG form, SG form, SF form, and C form...IQ, effort, fundamentals, skill, and enough athleticism to guard. Look at Wisconsin, not only do they start five seniors, several of them redshirted in one way or another.

Archived