Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

11 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

Is this good or bad for us?  I thought I read someone say the longer this plays out the worse it is for IU.  

You know. With kids these days... hard to read anything into them. I know some hate when I say this.... but never forget the Jeffries rule.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I hate where I am but if we get him great and if not oh well. I love Indiana basketball but if we win great if not oh well.  I have come to the conclusion in my lifetime it  never be what it once was. Losses used to truly keep me up all night after games. Pre game I was so pumped now its just different  IU is and for far too long just another team that plays college basketball.  I hate it, I hate my kids have never known IU greatness and may never. Is it too much to ask for that. 

My regional president is a Nebraska grad. You basically described his football fandom. He even gave up his season tickets  last year after having them for over 30 years. 

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My regional president is a Nebraska grad. You basically described his football fandom. He even gave up his season tickets  last year after having them for over 30 years. 

I know we all want to get back to greatness but at least we have that history.  I am sure there are plenty of programs who would love to have just have one championship let alone 5

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

It has to bring joy. I was reminded by some of our members that we are just fans and have nothing invested. Like any of us know what anyone else has invested in anything.  Apathy is not a good place to be. I just want some.shooters. our last final 4 team was loaded with gritty guys that played very good D but they made the run because of their shooting. I assumed every perimeter shot was going in. I have no faith any 3 is going in. That is the single biggest pattern with CAM. They are his guys and 5jey can't shoot period.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I know we all want to get back to greatness but at least we have that history.  I am sure there are plenty of programs who would love to have just have one championship let alone 5

I had lots of girlfriends but I am happily married. You can have a great present and great history. We shouldn't have to live in the past and hang our hats on the good old days.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I had lots of girlfriends but I am happily married. You can have a great present and great history. We shouldn't have to live in the past and hang our hats on the good old days.

Didn't say we just have to live in the past.  So what are you going to do to change where IU basketball is in the present.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Didn't say we just have to live in the past.  So what are you going to do to change where IU basketball is in the present.

Since I am out of eligibility I can't suit up and hit any shots, so I will come to HSN. Say what I like and what I dislike about our program. Watch the games buy some gear and hope we get better

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

It has to bring joy. I was reminded by some of our members that we are just fans and have nothing invested. Like any of us know what anyone else has invested in anything.  Apathy is not a good place to be. I just want some.shooters. our last final 4 team was loaded with gritty guys that played very good D but they made the run because of their shooting. I assumed every perimeter shot was going in. I have no faith any 3 is going in. That is the single biggest pattern with CAM. They are his guys and 5jey can't shoot period.

So here’s my question... were they shooters in high school? If the answer is yes how can  we blame CAM it’s not like he’s changing their shooting styles and our offense is actually so much more fluid than previous years and the shooters are getting open. If shooters don’t make shots that’s not on the coach unless they aren’t getting open. If I’m trained to cook fries at McDonald’s and I’ve been told over and over how to make the fries and I burn them then that’s my fault not my managers fault. IU fans blame CAM wayyyyy too much. He’s made adjustments to put the players in a better place to succeed and their defense is so much more in sync. Unless someone actually coaches and knows what it takes they have no room to talk because they truly don’t know what happens in practice and behind the scenes 

10 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

So here’s my question... were they shooters in high school? If the answer is yes how can  we blame CAM it’s not like he’s changing their shooting styles and our offense is actually so much more fluid than previous years and the shooters are getting open. If shooters don’t make shots that’s not on the coach unless they aren’t getting open. If I’m trained to cook fries at McDonald’s and I’ve been told over and over how to make the fries and I burn them then that’s my fault not my managers fault. IU fans blame CAM wayyyyy too much. He’s made adjustments to put the players in a better place to succeed and their defense is so much more in sync. Unless someone actually coaches and knows what it takes they have no room to talk because they truly don’t know what happens in practice and behind the scenes 

The issue for me is CAM hasn't brought in shooters.   Scorers yes but not one pure shooter.   Seems like every team out there has a 3 point assassin but us for the last 3 or 4 years.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

2 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

The issue for me is CAM hasn't brought in shooters.   Scorers yes but not one pure shooter.   Seems like every team out there has a 3 point assassin but us for the last 3 or 4 years.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Anthony Leal. Scouted and recruited as a high level shooter with good range. A 3-star recruit but clearly a shooter. 
But we’ve been having this convo in another thread. I think it’s more that CAM prioritizes D first and a lot of shooters are not strong defenders. Agree we need more high level - elite players who shoot well. But would add we have Hunter who can absolutely shoot, and CAM seems to be limiting his run so far based on D and/or emphasizing 3 guard sets 

19 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Anthony Leal. Scouted and recruited as a high level shooter with good range. A 3-star recruit but clearly a shooter. 
But we’ve been having this convo in another thread. I think it’s more that CAM prioritizes D first and a lot of shooters are not strong defenders. Agree we need more high level - elite players who shoot well. But would add we have Hunter who can absolutely shoot, and CAM seems to be limiting his run so far based on D and/or emphasizing 3 guard sets 

I don’t consider Leal a great shooter. He was a scorer imo. Used his size and strength to out muscle and get shots over smaller opponents. I’ve seen shooters...we’ve all seen kids that have range from 30 feet...can knock down 7-8 3s in a row in a game....can hit a wide range of jumpers/floaters/step backs. Any kid can hit a wide open set shot  (or should be able to) at the college level. Leal was a scorer to me..I don’t consider him a pure shooter based on his history. Maybe he will develop into one...plenty of time but I don’t see a single threat on this team that could go off for 25-30 pts from their shooting. Not saying we should give up defense and everything to have more shooters but let’s be real..we don’t have a Blackman or a Jay Edwards, or a Hulls or a Brian Evans...or any “shooter” we’ve had here in years past. Not a one. And shooting is something that has gotten significantly better over the years...there are more great shooters now then ever before...these kids are shooting 3s in diapers now. Why can’t we recruit one.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don’t consider Leal a great shooter. He was a scorer imo. Used his size and strength to out muscle and get shots over smaller opponents. I’ve seen shooters...we’ve all seen kids that have range from 30 feet...can knock down 7-8 3s in a row in a game....can hit a wide range of jumpers/floaters/step backs. Any kid can hit a wide open set shot  (or should be able to) at the college level. Leal was a scorer to me..I don’t consider him a pure shooter based on his history. Maybe he will develop into one...plenty of time but I don’t see a single threat on this team that could go off for 25-30 pts from their shooting. Not saying we should give up defense and everything to have more shooters but let’s be real..we don’t have a Blackman or a Jay Edwards, or a Hulls or a Brian Evans...or any “shooter” we’ve had here in years past. Not a one. And shooting is something that has gotten significantly better over the years...there are more great shooters now then ever before...these kids are shooting 3s in diapers now. Why can’t we recruit one.

Hulls and Blackmon were limited defensively big time! Hulls’ effort was much better so I could deal with some lapses occasionally in exchange for his shooting. Blackmon on the other hand was flat out awful on D. D is largely an effort thing and I don’t think Blackmon had any interest in trying to be better on that end. No thanks.

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Hulls and Blackmon were limited defensively big time! Hulls’ effort was much better so I could deal with some lapses occasionally in exchange for his shooting. Blackmon on the other hand was flat out awful on D. D is largely an effort thing and I don’t think Blackmon had any interest in trying to be better on that end. No thanks.

You don’t think Archie could get Blackmon to play a “little” defense? He played none because Crean expected none. Point being is even with some of our worst defenders in school history...(same was said about Edwards) we had some of our most successful teams. Basketball is about scoring more than your opponent. If you can barely score 60 against good teams...your chance of winning is going to be slim no matter how good your defense is. How about just a little balance. We don’t need a whole team full of shooters that have issues on defense...but be nice to have 1 or 2 when those scoring droughts happen.

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If Archie is waiting on Leal he wont be around to see it happen...lol. I know what you meant. most great shooter don't fit Archie because they, in most cases, don't play D.

Archived