Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm still not sold on jumping early just to get paid.  I know all the arguments for the superior development programs and getting paid/not having to deal with classes while you are working on your game, but I keep going back to Noah Vonleh who appears to be in the process of washing out of the league early.  We'll never know what would have happened if he stayed a year or two longer and developed his game more without the sink or swim pressure of the G League/NBA.  Until someone can find a way to prove otherwise, there will always be this nagging question in my mind if some of these young men would be better served developing in college first and then jumping into the deep end of the pool when they are a little bit older, more mature and better equipped to deal with the pressure to perform or be fired.

Everyone knows my view on this and I wouldn't go until I can be a contributor right away.  I don't want to be the end of the bench guy who goes back and forth to the G league for a few years.

7 hours ago, rico said:

Each to their own....remember a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

For sure.  I just know how 18 year-olds handle money...even with NBA protection, education and safeguards.  You can also insure part of your future earnings against injury.  I think a little more maturity would help some of these young guys have a better chance of sticking.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

For sure.  I just down how 18 year-olds handle money...even with NBA protection, education and safeguards.  You can also insure part of your future earnings against injury.  I think a little more maturity would help some of these young guys have a better chance of sticking.

Noah has pocketed over 15 million...you and Scott can go smoke together.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

For sure.  I just down how 18 year-olds handle money...even with NBA protection, education and safeguards.  You can also insure part of your future earnings against injury.  I think a little more maturity would help some of these young guys have a better chance of sticking.

The problem with these kids are under so much pressure from family and friends when they get all of that money.  They can't say no to anyone so they can go through all of their money quickly

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

The problem with these kids are under so much pressure from family and friends when they get all of that money.  They can't say no to anyone so they can go through all of their money quickly

Going to college fixes that?  OMG

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Noah has pocketed over 15 million...you and Scott can go smoke together.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Going to college fixes that?  OMG

You're missing the point, but I'm done belaboring it since we've gone way off track here.  I'll end with this...if Noah washes out here, I'll bet my net worth in retirement will be higher than his will be.  Not saying he won't be OK, but there are plenty of examples of broke former NBA players.

IMO Going early or staying only impacts the college game. If a player is going to make it in the NBA it doesn't matter if they go early or stay 4 years. Their size, athleticism, skill, work ethic, etc determine success, not where they are. It doesn't matter what school they choose to go to in college or if they leave early. The cream rises to the top.

Vonleh is out of the league (ATM) but if he stayed an extra year he may have gotten drafted higher/lower, but he's still the same player and would be out of the league. Swannigan stayed an extra year at Turdue with the Big-Man Whisperer and he's out of the league too. Tim Duncan would have been the same player if he came out early as he was staying four years. Obviously, wins/team success would be different for them based on who drafted them/where they ended up.

With the amount of money these kids make, if they don't have some version of the "Mamba Mentality" or whatever you want to call it (desire to be great) they're not going to stick in the league long. For the washouts, their desire was to make it to the league/get paid, and once there they lose their motivation, have enough money to do whatever they want outside of basketball (so they don't train/play as hard), it's over.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

You're missing the point, but I'm done belaboring it since we've gone way off track here.  I'll end with this...if Noah washes out here, I'll bet my net worth in retirement will be higher than his will be.  Not saying he won't be OK, but there are plenty of examples of broke former NBA players.

So, college made you aware of how to handle money?  If it did, then you weren't brought up right.

3 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Is it for sure that TJD is leaving for the NBA? In my opinion he needs to develop the ability to go to his right, with his right hand and develop a perimeter game. He goes in with his current skill set and he will be eaten alive.

I thought this was kind of a dumb question to start the year and he would be gone after this season for sure, but Jonathan Givony of ESPN released the very early 2021 best available for the draft a week or two ago and TJD is only 55th https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/3. Obviously it is way to early to find that as super reliable information and Thomas Bryant ended up leaving while only being a projected 2nd rounder at the end of the season, but you gotta think there's a chance he'd come back if he remains a second round guy

1 minute ago, rico said:

So, college made you aware of how to handle money?  If it did, then you weren't brought up right.

So you knew everything there was to know about handling money at 18?

Come on, Rico...now you're being obtuse.  Those four years sure didn't hurt my personal finance knowledge.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Actually they need to take a biology class....something that teaches them about leeches.  College ain't gonna fix people feeding off them.  

In ancient cultures, leeches were used to "purify the blood."

"I'm just here to purify you, bruh." 

Just now, PritchardPutBack said:

I thought this was kind of a dumb question to start the year and he would be gone after this season for sure, but Jonathan Givony of ESPN released the very early 2021 best available for the draft a week or two ago and TJD is only 55th https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/3. Obviously it is way to early to find that as super reliable information and Thomas Bryant ended up leaving while only being a projected 2nd rounder at the end of the season, but you gotta think there's a chance he'd come back if he remains a second round guy

Add in his financial situation isn't dire being the son of an NBA player and he can make the decision solely based on what he wants to do unlike some.

2 minutes ago, PritchardPutBack said:

Aminu says "HI"

4 minutes ago, PritchardPutBack said:

I saw one the other day had him going 29th and Garza going 32nd.  What is bad most of the top prospects they had on the list are guys who are struggling in their freshman year.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

So you knew everything there was to know about handling money at 18?

Come on, Rico...now you're being obtuse.  Those four years sure didn't hurt my personal finance knowledge.

Actually, I did.  I am a farm boy.  Graduated at 17.  Money was the game in my family.  How to hold onto dollars for a year until the next harvest came.  Obtuse?  I think not.  Worldly?  Yes.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I saw one the other day had him going 29th and Garza going 32nd.  What is bad most of the top prospects they had on the list are guys who are struggling in their freshman year.

There's a bunch of mock drafts all over the place but I know personally I really trust Givony over just about anyone. He used to run DraftExpress.com but came over to ESPN with Woj when that big move happened and really does his due diligence scouting international guys and talking to those in the know when it comes to the draft. Once again though, a whole bunch can change by the end of the season

Archived