Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rico said:

He was a bust...not Kent Benson bust, but bust none the less.  But Wayman made plenty of cash, didn't need that 4th year of college.

He was drafted to a terrible team in the Pacers and played for the King's so that didn't help.  I guess your definition of a bust is different than mine.  I would nevet call a player who played 13 years and average over 15 a game a bust.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

He was drafted to a terrible team in the Pacers and played for the King's so that didn't help.  I guess your definition of a bust is different than mine.  I would nevet call a player who played 13 years and average over 15 a game a bust.

Must be a Walton fan.....

6 minutes ago, rico said:

He was a bust...not Kent Benson bust, but bust none the less.  But Wayman made plenty of cash, didn't need that 4th year of college.

Also wouldn't call Sampson a bust because before injuries he was an all star player and made the NBA finals.  His first five years he averaged 19.4 ppg.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Also wouldn't call Sampson a bust because before injuries he was an all star player and made the NBA finals.  His first five years he averaged 19.4 ppg.

And made millions...that 4 years in college didn't teach him how to hang on to it.

Just now, rico said:

No, because he was a top pick after his frosh year, he spent the next 3 years being an All-American and studying economics.

So how did it hurt him or Tim Duncan staying 4 years.  Most of the all time great players stayed 3 or 4 years.  If a kid wants to leave early that is there choice.  What I don't like is when kids get ridiculed for staying in college.

40 minutes ago, rico said:

And Pacer fans wanted Steve Alford instead of Reggie Miller.  One is the face of the Pacers, the other is a vagabond college coach.

I'm not saying he's going to be an all star.  His game and size is very similar to Romeo.  And he's a vastly better shooter and has hit big shots in big moments.  I'd bet money he goes before 35 though.  You in?

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm not saying he's going to be an all star.  His game and size is very similar to Romeo.  And he's a vastly better shooter and has hit big shots in big moments.  I'd bet money he goes before 35 though.  You in?

I only gamble on what I can control...

It’s pretty telling how old school some guys are in here. There are not many 4 year college players these days getting drafted too highly in the draft. In the last 4 NBA drafts, only 1 senior (Cam Johnson from UNC) was drafted in the lottery. It’s mostly freshmen and sophomores now, and staying in college longer than that is usually a bad thing if you want to be an NBA star. There are obviously exceptions to everything, but there are very few current NBA stars who went to college for 4 years. 

2 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

It’s pretty telling how old school some guys are in here. There are not many 4 year college players these days getting drafted too highly in the draft. In the last 4 NBA drafts, only 1 senior (Cam Johnson from UNC) was drafted in the lottery. It’s mostly freshmen and sophomores now, and staying in college longer than that is usually a bad thing if you want to be an NBA star. There are obviously exceptions to everything, but there are very few current NBA stars who went to college for 4 years. 

We all know 4  year players don't get drafted by we are saying how the NBA evaluate players are wrong.  To me this hurts the NBA as well as the college game.

Just now, IU Scott said:

We all know 4  year players don't get drafted by we are saying how the NBA evaluate players are wrong.  To me this hurts the NBA as well as the college game.

I don’t think it’s wrong at all. You need superstars to win in the NBA and you’re more likely to find one who’s a one and done than a 4 year senior. How much better is Luka Garza going to get? He’s a great college player who would be a decent role player in the NBA, but probably nothing more. What about Tyler Hansbrough? 4 year all American at UNC who became a role player. That’s a fine career, but NBA GM’s would rather take a shot on a Patrick Williams, Andrew Wiggins, Carmelo, etc and hope that those guys become superstars. If it doesn’t work out then they’ll either be solid role players or they’ll be busts and you just don’t re-sign them after their rookie deal. 

2 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I don’t think it’s wrong at all. You need superstars to win in the NBA and you’re more likely to find one who’s a one and done than a 4 year senior. How much better is Luka Garza going to get? He’s a great college player who would be a decent role player in the NBA, but probably nothing more. What about Tyler Hansbrough? 4 year all American at UNC who became a role player. That’s a fine career, but NBA GM’s would rather take a shot on a Patrick Williams, Andrew Wiggins, Carmelo, etc and hope that those guys become superstars. If it doesn’t work out then they’ll either be solid role players or they’ll be busts and you just don’t re-sign them after their rookie deal. 

I just think you see way more draft bust today by going on potential over production

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just think you see way more draft bust today by going on potential over production

Of course we do. High ceiling and sometimes a low floor. But in the NBA’s case it’s always worth it. Most 4 year college players become 7th or 8th guys on an ok team, but the potential can mean getting a star who can carry your franchise for at least 7 years. 

Archived