Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Lets go get a big man in the transfer market and call it a class.

Lets hope the transfer market is kind to AM.  However, is anyone the least bit concerned about striking out on the last three recruits, including TK as the prioritized recruit?  That has to be somewhat concerning for even the over flowing glass fans out there.  I understand that this is a different year with the Covid and all, but going back to the Tom Crean & Mike Davis eras, once the recruiting started to slide, it don't take long for the ship to sink.  Again, I am not in the sky is falling  mode.  Just a bit concerning.  Hopefully, this doesn't turn into a pissing match.  Oops, forgot about PS.  IU needs a big man.

Would have loved to see Mohammed become a Hoosier.  He's a DMV guy at heart so Georgetown is a good spot for him.  I think he and his guardian kept it classy and didn't play any of the coaches.  Is it OK if I am happy that Crean didn't get him?  (and I don't dislike Crean)  Good luck to the young man.  What a tremendous opportunity. 

2 minutes ago, BDB said:

Lets hope the transfer market is kind to AM.  However, is anyone the least bit concerned about striking out on the last three recruits, including TK as the prioritized recruit?  That has to be somewhat concerning for even the over flowing glass fans out there.  I understand that this is a different year with the Covid and all, but going back to the Tom Crean & Mike Davis eras, once the recruiting started to slide, it don't take long for the ship to sink.  Again, I am not in the sky is falling  mode.  Just a bit concerning.  Hopefully, this doesn't turn into a pissing match. 

A little...especially Kaufman...but it happens...

I think this kid saw a crowded backcourt at IU next year, and that CAM makes you earn your playing time (see Lander) and just said, "no thanks."

The fact that his final 2 were Georgetown and Georgia kinda tells me he wanted some guarantees about playing time...

As for his choice, I sometimes wonder if these kids want to learn more about the NBA lifestyle from these coaches that are former NBA stars than learning the game itself...Ewing is in his 4th year and he's 52-50...not exactly distinguished...

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Considering you can't prove a negative, we DO know with a high degree of certainty. This is an odd self-generated rumor even for message boards. Has anyone in the game even so much as insinuated that Crean has ever been dirty?

I’m not contributing to or against the rumor because I don’t know either way. That’s my only point. I would be surprised but not shocked if facts came out saying you’re wrong. It’s college basketball, a dirty industry unfortunately. With that said, he was a really poor cheater if he was!

12 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

No other way to spin it. This recruiting cycle was a disaster for CAM and the program. 

They are just going to have to live with the consequences. Can't happen again.

I think this is a silly take. We got a solidly rated, 4 star center coming and a shooter with D1 experience. A great class, of course not. But a disaster? Come on. But isn’t it so wonderful even if you believe in your take that it happened during this pandemic when every guy on the team gets an extra year? Basically our freshmen class for next year is Leal, Lander, Galloway, Geronimo, Duncomb and Stewart. You think that’s poor? 

17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Considering you can't prove a negative, we DO know with a high degree of certainty. This is an odd self-generated rumor even for message boards. Has anyone in the game even so much as insinuated that Crean has ever been dirty?

Actually,yes. Two moments come to mind. Crean came up in the Adidas hearings as welcoming the help of the Adidas rep. The quote was that Crean welcomed him to campus with a hug, the rep said "don't worry, I am here to help" and Crean said he knew and thanked him for his help.

Also, several years back when Gary Parrish did one of those articles asking coaches anonymously who they thought was a great coach, etc. One of the questions was "who is cheating in recruiting?" and Crean's name came up a lot. It was after the Movement class and the whole Indiana Elite recruiting connection.

Then of course there is the fact that he had Kenny Johnson on his staff for several years...

11 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

No other way to spin it. This recruiting cycle was a disaster for CAM and the program. 

They are just going to have to live with the consequences. Can't happen again.

Not a total disaster by any means but very disappointing nonetheless.  CAM and the staff spent a lot of time, money and effort on 3 top targets and missed on all 3.   That's not good no matter how you look at it.

Go Hoosiers!!!

It's a bummer CAM was struck out on all big targets. For now, I don't see it as a threat; it just doesn't feel good. If Franklin continues to grow and play at a high level (although I expect he'd go through peaks and valleys just like everyone else), Mohammed will not be missed. But CAM can't have another recruiting class like this for 2022 if he wants to continue to develop and establish his program. Two bad recruiting classes in a row is a recipe for disaster. Even big time coaches don't always have good luck and occasionally have a bad recruiting class, so this situation is not out of the ordinary. Our team just needs to make it to the tournament this season and shares some spotlight with other good programs. One step at a time. 

A lot of questions I need answered before I write this year off...

Will Al and Joey come back? Will they be welcomed back? Not sure whose choice that actually is, but I'd say there's going to be some negotiation between CAM and those 2...If CAM has playing time for them, maybe they would...or maybe they want to get on with their lives...Plenty of basketball opportunities with G league and international basketball to make a buck...

What will the transfer market be like? I'd imagine it's going to be very busy...I'm sure if Joey or Al decide not to come back, there will be a lot of options...Frontcourt (4s and 5s), assuming TJD goes, should be the priority. If the roster stays the way it is we have Armaan, Rob, Trey, Anthony, Jerome, Parker, and Khristian for basically 3 spots...4 if we go small...

Will TJD really go? I'd say odds favor it, but you never know...

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Will Al and Joey come back? Will they be welcomed back? Not sure whose choice that actually is, but I'd say there's going to be some negotiation between CAM and those 2...If CAM has playing time for them, maybe they would...or maybe they want to get on with their lives...Plenty of basketball opportunities with G league and international basketball to make a buck...

What will the transfer market be like? I'd imagine it's going to be very busy...I'm sure if Joey or Al decide not to come back, there will be a lot of options...Frontcourt (4s and 5s), assuming TJD goes, should be the priority. If the roster stays the way it is we have Armaan, Rob, Trey, Anthony, Jerome, Parker, and Khristian for basically 3 spots...4 if we go small...

If I had to guess, Al might very well be gone. I think he can probably play overseas.  Might as well get paid and move on.  He’s had four years of heavy playing time and might feel like he had the experience he wanted.  

Brunk has the injury complication. He doesn’t seem to be interested in pro ball as we’ve heard he is thinking law school.  If he’s healthy, maybe he tries for one more year.  But he might not want to delay law school.  I could see that going either way, and possibly hinging on his back.  Probably most men over 40 have dealt with a mysterious back ailment at one point or another and they can be brutal.  He might want to get on with being a lawyer.  

Personally, I would give up a year of my law career to have a chance to play B1G ball but the grass is often greener on the other side. 

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If I had to guess, Al might very well be gone. I think he can probably play overseas.  Might as well get paid and move on.  He’s had four years of heavy playing time and might feel like he had the experience he wanted.  

Brunk has the injury complication. He doesn’t seem to be interested in pro ball as we’ve heard he is thinking law school.  If he’s healthy, maybe he tries for one more year.  But he might not want to delay law school.  I could see that going either way, and possibly hinging on his back.  Probably most men over 40 have dealt with a mysterious back ailment at one point or another and they can be brutal.  He might want to get on with being a lawyer.  

Personally, I would give up a year of my law career to have a chance to play B1G ball but the grass is often greener on the other side. 

I think that's the scenario I would like to see...hats off to Al for a good 4 years, but I think Stewart is probably a better option, at least on offense. If Joey can come in, mentor Logan a bit, and rotate with Race and Logan in the front court, that would be nice. I'd still like us to pick up another 4-5...unless Trayce comes back...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I think TJD will be key to next season. If he stays for third year I think Hoosiers will be very good...if he goes, it might come down to if IU can pickup a good big transfer. I'm guessing 60/40 TJD goes pro, but who knows. For some reason I can't see Al coming back next season but I could see Joey, but of course I'm just going off my gut feeling.

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I think TJD will be key to next season. If he stays for third year I think Hoosiers will be very good...if he goes, it might come down to if IU can pickup a good big transfer. I'm guessing 60/40 TJD goes pro, but who knows. For some reason I can't see Al coming back next season but I could see Joey, but of course I'm just going off my gut feeling.

I think if he did come back, we could contend for the B1G title and make a deep tourney run...

Stay and be a legend, Trayce!

17 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Hindenburg bad.

I was trying to be kind.  What was Hindenburg bad was the nonsense you posted to begin with.  You should see that by the various reactions you got...mostly laughter.

Pick up the bong and take a deep drag before you post next time...it can't hurt.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I was trying to be kind.  What was Hindenburg bad was the nonsense you posted to begin with.  You should see that by the various reactions you got...mostly laughter.

Pick up the bong and take a deep drag before you post next time...it can't hurt.

We literally whiffed on everyone but 1 player in a 4 man class. We couldn't give our schollys away. 

I get that everybody gets another year of eligibility if they want it. It's more of an indication of what recruits think of our program: dog poo.

Archived