Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

care to elaborate? Sorry if I missed it somewhere.

No inside knowledge.  Just my opinion that IU is going to have to rebuild through in-state talent and the right out of state talent ranked 50 and below.  When you talk Top 15 talent, you have a chance with an in-state player like Lander, but selling 9th and 10th place conference finishes to that level talent from out of state is a hard sell.  Get in the top 4 in conference and make an elite 8, and the Indiana brand may sell again.  Until then, I just don't see IU landing this level of player.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

No inside knowledge.  Just my opinion that IU is going to have to rebuild through in-state talent and the right out of state talent ranked 50 and below.  When you talk Top 15 talent, you have a chance with an in-state player like Lander, but selling 9th and 10th place conference finishes to that level talent from out of state is a hard sell.  Get in the top 4 in conference and make an elite 8, and the Indiana brand may sell again.  Until then, I just don't see IU landing this level of player.

Your opinion makes sense for sure. Romeo came with the team coming off a sub-par season. Obviously he was in-state and I get what you're saying. If we can get a couple nice players, which I think we have, maybe it paves the way for those top out of state guys to come. 

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There are plenty of schools that land 5* players (even without paying lol) without having recent success on the floor. It’s about building trust and a relationship and putting the kid in an offense that will help them shine for getting to the next level as soon as possible. While we do have a lot of wing talent coming in most of them I don’t think will start right away. Thus a 5* can buy time until they are ready to contribute more in a couple years. It’s always a long shot but if teams like Vanderbilt and Memphis can land elite talent and UCLA who hasnt done anything special in a long time then so can we.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

There are plenty of schools that land 5* players (even without paying lol) without having recent success on the floor. It’s about building trust and a relationship and putting the kid in an offense that will help them shine for getting to the next level as soon as possible. While we do have a lot of wing talent coming in most of them I don’t think will start right away. Thus a 5* can buy time until they are ready to contribute more in a couple years. It’s always a long shot but if teams like Vanderbilt and Memphis can land elite talent and UCLA who hasnt done anything special in a long time then so can we.

I think until Archie proves he can land an out of state top 50 guy there are going to be doubters and rightfully so.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought Hunter was a top 50 out of state recruit

The exception that proves the rule. Jerome was ranked 125-150 when Archie started recruiting him at Dayton. As Jerome climbed the ranking he drew the interest of higher caliber programs. It wasn't until Archie moved to Indiana that the relationship he established early was able to pay off with a commitment. Landing Jerome wasn't so much about beating out other schools for a top 50 recruit, it was about Jerome growing into that top 50 ranking as a player.

Jerome also committed before Archie had coached a single game at Indiana. Now there's a track record. The environment is much different than it was two years ago, when Archie was very much in his honeymoon period. 

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

The exception that proves the rule. Jerome was ranked 125-150 when Archie started recruiting him at Dayton. As Jerome climbed the ranking he drew the interest of higher caliber programs. It wasn't until Archie moved to Indiana that the relationship he established early was able to pay off with a commitment. Landing Jerome wasn't so much about beating out other schools for a top 50 recruit, it was about Jerome growing into that top 50 ranking as a player.

Jerome also committed before Archie had coached a single game at Indiana. Now there's a track record. The environment is much different than it was two years ago, when Archie was very much in his honeymoon period. 

OSU was also in a major transition period.

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

OSU was also in a major transition period.

Let's see where Jordan ends up. He is around that 75 mark right now but I think the only thing that would slow down his ascension would the fact he is already committed and they love to move up uncommitted kids to push articles and interest. He is really breaking out and I think he cements the Jerome signing as not just circumstantial....Archie has drawn enough interest in elite talent from his day at Arizona and now that if he just gets the program back into the tournament he is going to have no problem winning many of these top 50 kids.

There is one very small (microscopic even) opening we may have: Springfield is basically the middle of South BFE, Missouri.  Waynesville is Central BFE, Missouri, and just a little more than an hour up the road.  Last I checked, there's a pretty recent IU advocate that hails from Waynesville. 

And remember, this is small-town southern Missouri (which I'm assuming is strikingly similar to small-town southern Indiana).  At most, there's one degree of separation between JMo and AM. 

Not a huge edge, but it's something. 

I am fairly familiar with the parts of Missouri you have mentioned.  Waynesville, just outside of Fort Leonard Wood, where I did my advanced individual training while in the Army.  Pretty sure Juwan Morgan prepped there, seeing as his parents were in the Army. Most likely assigned to Leonard Wood. 

And have relatives that live in Springfield. Home to Bass Pro Shops. 

45 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

There is one very small (microscopic even) opening we may have: Springfield is basically the middle of South BFE, Missouri.  Waynesville is Central BFE, Missouri, and just a little more than an hour up the road.  Last I checked, there's a pretty recent IU advocate that hails from Waynesville. 

And remember, this is small-town southern Missouri (which I'm assuming is strikingly similar to small-town southern Indiana).  At most, there's one degree of separation between JMo and AM. 

Not a huge edge, but it's something. 

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I am fairly familiar with the parts of Missouri you have mentioned.  Waynesville, just outside of Fort Leonard Wood, where I did my advanced individual training while in the Army.  Pretty sure Juwan Morgan prepped there, seeing as his parents were in the Army. Most likely assigned to Leonard Wood. 

And have relatives that live in Springfield. Home to Bass Pro Shops. 

That bass pro is awesome there!!!!

59 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

That bass pro is awesome there!!!!

Yes it is.  Great restaurant. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Can sit next to a waterfall, while eating.   Amazing fish tank. And more fishing boats in one place I have ever seen in my life. Not to mention the theater, and so much "stuff" to look at. My wife and I literally spent close to a full day there.  She enjoyed it. Despite the fact that she is not into that kind of "stuff".

Highly recommend it to anyone who is going through Springfield. 

56 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yes it is.  Great restaurant. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Can sit next to a waterfall, while eating.   Amazing fish tank. And more fishing boats in one place I have ever seen in my life. Not to mention the theater, and so much "stuff" to look at. My wife and I literally spent close to a full day there.  She enjoyed it. Despite the fact that she is not into that kind of "stuff".

Highly recommend it to anyone who is going through Springfield. 

There is also a cool restaurant called hu hot that is soooo delicious 

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

I assume every great kid from Missouri that doesn’t have a relative on staff at Mizzou ends up at Kansas...but I still have hope.

Not really. Kansas is the hated rival of Mizzou. Similar to the Ohio State and Michigan rivalry. My daughter is at Mizzou and that is the only rivalry she participates in.

Archived